Post your Gibson SG’s!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Daniel.S, Jul 5, 2018.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s a real looking axe. What’s the details?

papagayo likes this.
  2. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I’m new to Gibson and bought the G400 first to make sure I like the balance before I drop a lot of cash for a Gibson and then not like it

The Epiphones are the 61 body style with set neck at the 22 fret , the G400 Pro came from Samash 2018 display model for 330.00 and was actually very nice out of the box but the pickup selector had a real scratchy circuit board otherwise real nice Indonesia made with the widest neck of the three that I have since upgraded all electronics and installed some Epiphone Pro Buckers but the bridge squeals with any volume from my Recto and have a thread on the Epiphone page about it

The Iommi was nice out of the box except for serious fret sprout that got better after a few days in my house but totally fixed 50.00 later from my local luthier , love the neck feel and absolutely love the pickups on the dirty channel but hate the tuners and the guitar strap button on the horn make it balance/ feel more like a strat than a SG but it is Hand Wired no Circuit board and the switches seem high quality . Overall I’m real happy with this one especially for being Chinese, much better than expected or maybe I just got a good one?

My Gibson is a Robot that I had some regular tuners installed and has a more rounded neck than my two Epiphones and set at the 19th fret , 490/498 pickups, it’s just a solid combo that’s well balanced , it’s a new EBay purchase to me in unplayed open box condition , I love it but will probably leave home when I gig so I don’t have to worry about it getting knocked over something crazy like that happening though not 100 percent sure yet but I still have that brand new feeling about so far

If you’re tight the Epiphone G400 Pro’s
    are good for the money that you can always upgrade electronics later as you can afford it , I could have got a Gibson for what I paid for the Iommi new but I still like it too and at this point it seems gig worthy and reliable

syscokid likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Thank you, this is a 2015 SG Standard + upgrades. I will take better pictures when the SG will be full upgraded.

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Thanks!, she’s a beaut. What color do they call that

5. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

this may be the Trans ebony finish.. ?? I think they offered that in 2015.. fantastic color if it is.. looks to be very dark walnut however..must be the warm mahogany bleeding through the black.. love this color

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... :cheers:

Niki Lauda likes this.
  7. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Thanks for the detailed reply.. we rarely get such an accurate description.. I think the Epi's have improved and the factory in China is doing much better work.. I cant really compare to when they were in Korea tbh.. I just have a hard time thinking about changing hardware and electronics vs buying an old worn brown special Gibby.. about the same costs after a while.. but you have to also like your finished product and sometimes we change parts for no other reason that we got tired of the old way.. lol.. good to have choice.. and the Robots had some awesome finish colors and treatments.. I love the dark green one.. replacing the tuners I believe is not so bad.. but didn't they have a lead in the body to the Robot switch? just a little more difficult that the mini-E tune type where you can just yank those off.. Great looking group of SG's there. The Iommi looks great.. and the 498T is a great pickup as well on the Robot

8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Correct, Translucent Ebony was offered on the 2015 SG Standard.

[​IMG]

9. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Did Gibson use dyes? or translucent lacquer for these? I thought Gibson was a "spray on" finish company and not a hand rubbed.. either way it looks fantastic.. so much more depth than the ebony paint finish..

10. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

the bridge tone knob is still part of the Robot system , It works fine with the tuners gone but you can still pull the tone pot up to activate the system , sound goes off and all the lights goes on in the Dial , it also has a tinted Clear cover in back that's pretty cool and I have been debating wether to change it out the rest of the system or not , if I never gig it , it won't matter

ruster1 likes this.
  11. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Looks like about $ 118,000 worth of Gibson Custom Shop options.. nice!

13. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

Another one that's not mine. Seems like an SG/Firebird hybrid.

[​IMG]

14. SGSF

SGSF New Member

Player for 30 years, but a recent first time SG owner. I def caught the bug and excited to find the forum. EAA81D55-EA5F-4DC1-B98E-0A423C90CCDE.jpeg

15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Shame about the crooked truss rod cover. You'd think someone would make an effort to screw the gold plated ones on straight - they do grab your attention! :shock:

SGSF likes this.
  16. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

G400 Pro was my first SG , I bought it after a band mate suggested trying a SG with a strap before I buy to see if I like the balance , so I got the Epi display model from Sam Ash with intentions of sending it back for a Gibson if I liked it , turns out I like it and didn't want to send it back , everything was perfect out of the box , frets , neck , the darn thing has great sustain , nice feel , it stays in tune and the tuners are really smooth obviously the nut must be cut right and the only complaint was the pup selector was sure noisy and have since installed a Stew Mac Golden Age pre soldered 50's electronic kit along with some Epiphone Pro Buckers , the neck feels wider than the Gibby or the Iommi but overall I like it and will gig with it for sure in the future

The Iommi was my second Epi and my G400 Pro coming in nice was probably the reason I pulled the trigger so quick on this one , neck is slimmer than the G400 and supposed to be deep set , it came in with serious fret sprout from Sweet water but was much better after a couple days in the house but I still ended up sending it out for a fret dress for 50.00 , I bought this new , I wanted a the 6 pounds 13 ounce Iommi but it sold while I was talking to the Sweet Water saleman so they basically sold me the next lightest guitar at 7 pounds and threw in a EPI Hard Case for a total of 849.00 which is like a 100.00 off , the guitar itself is fabulous , no circuit board electronics and very quiet with a high quality feel to them but I'm not sure if I like the 14 to 1 tuners as they feel slightly rough and I will probably change them out later but overall I love this guitar , those pickups are beautiful on the heavy channels while clean channel is ok the dirty channel makes up for it , the guitar strap button on the horn also makes it feel like a strat to me but it does balance great , this one will get gigged for sure and more than likely will be on our new Album Cover shot that's coming up this weekend even though the album was recorded with an American G&L Fallout and ASAT Deluxe

The Gibson is my first Gibson a 2008 Robot and third SG , was a new/used unplayed purchase from eBay a few months ago now , I switched out the robo tuners for conventional Grovers , the neck is the same width as my Iommi but its more round , feels great , I like the sound of the 490/498's , absolutely no complaints on this one , love it too but probably won't gig it from being afraid of something happening to it or getting knocked over . I raised 4 kids and money was always tight ( kids are long gone now ) but in my mind the practical side of me I couldn't live with myself if something happened to it so I'll just gig the Epi's , if the Epi's break in two I'll just remove the good parts and buy another , lol

I have since purchased a 2003 Gibby SG 61 RI , love it too and is probably my favorite of the bunch with the Classic 57 pickups , the neck feels between my Iommi and my Robot , love the Classic 57's but my OCD probably won't let me gig it either or take it to Band practice

overall I think Epi's are pretty decent , if someone was on a tight budget a G400 Pro with a electronic upgrade would be a reliable gig quality guitar that's hard to beat for less than 450.00 US and if the headstock breaks off no big deal , Ill just get another one

syscokid and ruster1 like this.
  17. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Well well well! Another Epi Iommi owner here!! Gotcha!! Your Iommi is a good guitar, no doubt. I read so many reviews before I bought. Inside the 2015 series have some black sheep ones with painted rosewood fretboards, some serious fret issues. Maybe materials ran out or workers worried about the deadline and rushed out. Who knows? But I think any 2015 Iommi workmanship problem-free is gigable. I compared mine with a high end 96 Jackson Soloist. I agree the workmanship of Jackson was on the top. But the sound quality was identical.

And @papagayo! My eyes caught your SG too!! What a beautiful grain pattern I see!! Very good score!!

18. Ronald Graham

Ronald Graham New Member

Well will ya look at that. It sure dose look Firebird Hybrid neck through the body. An a 12 string. I have never seen that. You have some intresting post, I'm pleased with what I read on this SG Forum

19. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

This Limited Run is amazing, what year is it?

Ronald Graham likes this.
  20. Ronald Graham

Ronald Graham New Member

Players it's here now today A 2006 SG from my reputable guitar dealer. It's my first SG. I'm enjoying it's Light weight eas of play from their pro set up. My first time feeling 10 gage strings to. I'm delighted

Attached Files: