Post your Gibson SG’s!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Daniel.S, Jul 5, 2018.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s a real looking axe. What’s the details?

papagayo likes this.
  2. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I’m new to Gibson and bought the G400 first to make sure I like the balance before I drop a lot of cash for a Gibson and then not like it

The Epiphones are the 61 body style with set neck at the 22 fret , the G400 Pro came from Samash 2018 display model for 330.00 and was actually very nice out of the box but the pickup selector had a real scratchy circuit board otherwise real nice Indonesia made with the widest neck of the three that I have since upgraded all electronics and installed some Epiphone Pro Buckers but the bridge squeals with any volume from my Recto and have a thread on the Epiphone page about it

The Iommi was nice out of the box except for serious fret sprout that got better after a few days in my house but totally fixed 50.00 later from my local luthier , love the neck feel and absolutely love the pickups on the dirty channel but hate the tuners and the guitar strap button on the horn make it balance/ feel more like a strat than a SG but it is Hand Wired no Circuit board and the switches seem high quality . Overall I’m real happy with this one especially for being Chinese, much better than expected or maybe I just got a good one?

My Gibson is a Robot that I had some regular tuners installed and has a more rounded neck than my two Epiphones and set at the 19th fret , 490/498 pickups, it’s just a solid combo that’s well balanced , it’s a new EBay purchase to me in unplayed open box condition , I love it but will probably leave home when I gig so I don’t have to worry about it getting knocked over something crazy like that happening though not 100 percent sure yet but I still have that brand new feeling about so far

If you’re tight the Epiphone G400 Pro’s
    are good for the money that you can always upgrade electronics later as you can afford it , I could have got a Gibson for what I paid for the Iommi new but I still like it too and at this point it seems gig worthy and reliable

syscokid likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Thank you, this is a 2015 SG Standard + upgrades. I will take better pictures when the SG will be full upgraded.

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Thanks!, she’s a beaut. What color do they call that

5. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

this may be the Trans ebony finish.. ?? I think they offered that in 2015.. fantastic color if it is.. looks to be very dark walnut however..must be the warm mahogany bleeding through the black.. love this color

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... :cheers:

7. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Thanks for the detailed reply.. we rarely get such an accurate description.. I think the Epi's have improved and the factory in China is doing much better work.. I cant really compare to when they were in Korea tbh.. I just have a hard time thinking about changing hardware and electronics vs buying an old worn brown special Gibby.. about the same costs after a while.. but you have to also like your finished product and sometimes we change parts for no other reason that we got tired of the old way.. lol.. good to have choice.. and the Robots had some awesome finish colors and treatments.. I love the dark green one.. replacing the tuners I believe is not so bad.. but didn't they have a lead in the body to the Robot switch? just a little more difficult that the mini-E tune type where you can just yank those off.. Great looking group of SG's there. The Iommi looks great.. and the 498T is a great pickup as well on the Robot

8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Correct, Translucent Ebony was offered on the 2015 SG Standard.

[​IMG]

papagayo, Fumble fingers and ruster1 like this.
  9. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Did Gibson use dyes? or translucent lacquer for these? I thought Gibson was a "spray on" finish company and not a hand rubbed.. either way it looks fantastic.. so much more depth than the ebony paint finish..

10. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

the bridge tone knob is still part of the Robot system , It works fine with the tuners gone but you can still pull the tone pot up to activate the system , sound goes off and all the lights goes on in the Dial , it also has a tinted Clear cover in back that's pretty cool and I have been debating wether to change it out the rest of the system or not , if I never gig it , it won't matter

ruster1 likes this.
  11. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Looks like about $ 118,000 worth of Gibson Custom Shop options.. nice!

13. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

Another one that's not mine. Seems like an SG/Firebird hybrid.

[​IMG]

SG standard, koaguilds and ruster1 like this.
  14. SGSF

SGSF New Member

Player for 30 years, but a recent first time SG owner. I def caught the bug and excited to find the forum. EAA81D55-EA5F-4DC1-B98E-0A423C90CCDE.jpeg

15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Shame about the crooked truss rod cover. You'd think someone would make an effort to screw the gold plated ones on straight - they do grab your attention! :shock:

SGSF likes this.