Post your Gibson SG’s!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Daniel.S, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Jun

Jun New Member

Thank you.
    This is 2018 HP II Cobalt Fade.
    The real thing looks much better than catalog photo.

Demon Dave likes this.
  2. Demon Dave

Demon Dave New Member

I love it, I still searching the right way to post images, they’re always too big

3. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Upload them on Imgur, then copy the link and paste it here. It’s super easy and fast.

koaguilds likes this.
  4. SGtopper

SGtopper Member

Here's mine...
    2019 Special.. Tonepros Wraparound bridge and Mojotone 56' Quiet Coil P90 Pickups..
    [​IMG]

skelt101, jota, epbean3 and 5 others like this.
  5. epbean3

epbean3 New Member

Hello All, first post from a new member here. I have managed to collect quite a few guitars over the years, but up until now only one SG, a really nice original SG Classic with P90s. Great guitar. Yesterday my son and I went to a local musicians' swap meet for the first time. He's in high school and is already a very good player (better than me for sure) and gear nerd just like his dad. The meet was fairly small, maybe 20 or so tables with mostly bargain-priced gear. However one gentleman in particular had some interesting things including some vintage EHX pedals and a few cool guitars. Hidden away in the back of his collection was this odd SG. He didn't seem to know too much about it other than he bought it from a pawn shop and had never seen one like it. Not being an SG expert, I also wasn't able to quite figure it out, although it was obviously heavily modified.

The kid plugs it in and starts playing it. Even through a small solid state, it was obvious this thing had the tones and the kid said it played like butter. We were a bit concerned about authenticity. Too many things weren't adding up. So we discussed among ourselves whether it was worth what the man was asking or not, just based on its condition and playability. The answer was very much yes, so at that point the origin almost didn't matter anymore. A good playing, good sounding guitar is what it is. We handed the man his $500 and took our probably fake SG-type thing home. Many of you reading this probably already know what it took me a few more hours to find out. This is an all maple, one-year only 1971 SG 200 (front half-moon control cavity version) with some really well thought-out mods, from the Schaller 456 fine tuning bridge to the coil-split vintage Dimarzios to the Gibson Deluxe tuners. The output jack was relocated to allow room for the coil split switches and volume/tone pots. The original finish has been stripped off and refinished to show the natural maple. The maple neck is gorgeous and even shows some flame. The headstock and fretboard and frets are mint. The action is crazy low with no buzzing and no fretting out. The mods look professionally done and the guitar appears to have been played extensively from the buckle worming on the back, but exceptionally clean and well cared for.

For a guitar I wasn't looking for, I sure found one that has us both pretty excited! This may be the best $500 I ever spent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. jota

jota Member

7. dvsmartins

dvsmartins Member

8. jdm66

jdm66 New Member

PixMix likes this.
  9. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

10. Vall

Vall New Member

11. Jun

Jun New Member

New family.
    2016 SG Naked.
    DSC_0046-1216x684.JPG

12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez New Member

13. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Sorry Papa.. this was meant for Jogi and his grouping.. !! I don't know how to delete a post as yet..??

You can really see the NUT WIDTH difference in this short with the narrows in the middle.. fantastic grouping you have there.. few questions.. how do you like the tarbacks? and do you notice the treble loss on the early 70's with the bridge pickup moved so far forward.. we believe this was done for 2 or 3 years until it went back toward the bridge in 75 or so.. my 76 is a great guitar.. feels great with that narrow but chunky neck..!!

14. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Sorry!.. my post above was meant for you about your "family"..

15. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

807917F7-486B-48CB-8AA6-A8B3D889401F.jpeg
    Thanks. It started life as a 1966 Pelham blue SG melody maker. It had a neck issue so I had it re-necked reusing the original fretboard. The pickup was weak so put a Seymour Duncan antiquities in a new pickguard cut by Dan at MojoAxe.

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez New Member

Gibson Custom Shop should make a version of this. Wow!

17. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

I wanted a Pelham blue Sg and would never be able to afford one. So after all the mods the nut width is 1 11/16, it has the vintage spec binding on the neck and period correct truss rod cover. It turned out better than I had hoped C21C794E-F246-44F5-BD62-6398E25CD97F.jpeg

18. jonnyfez

jonnyfez New Member

After owning and selling a Pelham Blue Les Paul Jr. - I recently picked up one of these. Pelham Blue is the most toneful of colors. 73019904_1133324486873444_7607492330920083456_n.jpg

Herbie74w, musicman2242 and PixMix like this.
  19. Dynamal

Dynamal New Member

Some sg's that i have had over the years, currently i'm owning only one Gibson sg(the one with White pickguard), two epiphone's and a 74 Aria

Attached Files:

musicman2242, jonnyfez and ruster1 like this.
  20. Dynamal

Dynamal New Member