Preamp newbie

Discussion in 'Effects' started by joe, Dec 23, 2004.

1. joe

joe New Member

Ok I just have a quick question. first off im new here and i love sg's. I have a 61 reissue, and a sort of ugly wood colored sg custom from like 74(gift. Anyway, I just got a fender hot rod deville and, while i love the clean, the overdrive doesn't do it for me. So then I noticed the preamp in and out. Which brings me to my question. I saw a mesa boogie v twin preamp pedal, if i ran that in the preamp in or out whichever it needs, would it have that mesa boogie dual rec heavy distortion? And would I be able to switch between my deville clean, and mesa preamp distortion? I ask because I have no idea about preamps. Thanks guys

2. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think it works that way. i think that if you plug another preamp into the pre amp in, you bypass any of the tones from the fender pre amp. for example if you plug a boogie tri axis into the pre amp in basically the boogie would become your new pre amp and both clean and dirty tones would come from the boogie. as far as the pre amp out on your amp, that would be used if you wanted to plug your fenders pre amp into a more powerful power amp.

3. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

i guess i should mention that you could use this as an effects loop as well. pre amp out to whatever effect you like back into the pre amp in. but only use line level signals. never directly plug any power amp outputs directly into preamp ins or outs!

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG, Joe! Stick around... you'll like it.

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

It will work.... but I'm not sure of the tone you'll get.

You can try your pedal before the main guitar input too, or where you wanted to and see which is better.

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

7. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Well, I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4-10 and I just love it! I use pedals in front of it, because the distortion sucks. You will never get over-drive out of it that is good, but the clean sound can't be beat! I knew that going in, so I don't have a problem with it. I have re-tubed it with JJ's and it helped somewhat, but not enough. Put a good Tube Screamer pedal in front of it and it will sound awesome! If you want a similar amp that can get Fender cleans and Marshall distortion, try the Traynor YCV-40 or 80. I have one and it kicks butt! 8)

8. joe

joe New Member

So it would basically become a whole new animal, by having a different preamp.(a boogie) Would the v twin pedal have the same wattage output, 60 watts, as the hot rod does? Those mods look pretty expensive....

would it go, preamp in->vtwin->then what?

Thanks for all the help guys. This site is great, and you guys are really helpful.

heres a link to the v twin. it's an acrobat reader page.
    http://mesaboogie.com/catalog/acrobats/Vtwin-V1-04-46-47.pdf

9. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

i am unfortunately not familiar with the v twin but in a typical set up you would plug your guitar into the pre amp,the output of the pre amp would go to the pre amp in on the back of the amp. and yes in essence it would make the amp a whole different animal. look at it this way your amp can be looked at as having two distinct sections. the preamp section (where your tone comes from) and the power amp section ( where you get the muscle to drive your speakers). by using a different pre amp you would be bypassing the fender pre amp and using something else. kind of like using a different component on a stereo system. for your particular situation i would try what sg maniac suggested and try putting a tube screamer before the input of the fender pre amp.then to go to clean just kick off the pedal. thats the most simple ( and probably effective) solution.

10. joe

joe New Member

So put the tubescreamer in the preamp slot or put it in the effects loop? Or by in front do you mean just like a normal pedal?

input->tubescreamer->guitar

Thanks again guys. I know this must be a pain explaining this to a clueless person, but i am truly appreciative.

11. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

just like a normal pedal. guitar into tube screamer into amp. that is the easiest thing to do for sure.

12. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

hey joe, dont forget to check back and let us know if it worked!

13. joe

joe New Member

any good tubescreamer ideas? other than the ts9 or 808. I just had a great xmas money wise so maybe i will try the tubescreamer first then preamp........then sg classic

14. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I'm loving the original bluesbreaker pedal...

15. bloosman1

bloosman1 Active Member

preamp from hell

My podxt plugged into the effects return of my marshall turns it inta a bomb! It bypasses the preamp stage and lets me make it into what ever sonic hell i can conjure up!

16. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Joe! This week I'm with CB as I've been playing with an original bluesbraker pedal too.......

17. educorgan

educorgan Member

Would it be possible to just connect the mesa v-twin into a cabinet? like.. guitar -> v-twin -> cabinet