Price guideline for: CS SG Special & DC?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bettyboo, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm considering a couple of guitars, and just wondered about price guidelines, as these are CS guitars, and I'm not really sure...

1) Gibson Special Reissue VOS made at the Nashville Custom Shop. I've been looking at this guitar for a few years, it's a 2010, new, but never sold - I suspect due to the price, it's US$3150, but they'll likely accept US$2500 (still not cheap...).
    (I've put pics of this guitar up here before, as I've been thinking about it for a few years...)

Here are a couple of pictures, I've checked the details with Gibson, and the headstock is correct, maybe they're not all like that, but I like it.

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.34.46.png

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.35.14.png

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.34.59.png

It just seems pricey, but I'm going to play it, and if it's perfect then is it still too much money?

2) Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Junior Double Cut

This one is priced better at US$1750 because it's a show demo model (although in near perfect condition).

I do love me a junior because of the lovely sound of that pickup. Many folks say that the juniors and specials sound the same, but I've always heard a bit more rock and roll oomph with a junior. I like playing both models.

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.39.51.png

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.40.24.png

Seems like a good price for this guitar if it plays and sounds great.

Obviously, I'm gonna play them back to back (well, within a couple of hours or so of each other as they are in stores across town from each other.

What are your thoughts on pricing? Other?

(& yeah, I know Epiphones are cheaper and can play really well too - I have a set neck Epi LP special...)

Gahr and jonnyfez like this.
  2. Bettyboo

You lot are absolutely no help whatsoever... :)

I decided to buy something else - that this forum is rather fond of.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed it yesterday. Prices for CS are steep.
    I like those LP Juniors.

Bettyboo likes this.
  4. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Sorry my comment is late to the party, Bettyboo. That does seem like decent price for Gibson Custom Shop SG Special, if the dealer is willing to accept the offer. You don't see them around too often. Is the guitar worth it? Only the player can decide that. I'm sure you're aware that the Gibson USA SG Special, a similarly spec'd guitar (not exact) can be found for about half that. I got the one in my avatar (slightly used condition) shipped to my door for just under $1,000. Is it Custom Shop quality? Probably not. But now that the set-up is more to my liking, it plays great!
    I've also heard that the Juniors sound a little more "rock and roll". The price seems right- not much more than a new USA. Plus, being a Custom Shop, you probably have a better shot at getting a "good" one. Is the price worth it? Again, only the player can decide. I suppose that is the moral of the story here: "Try before you buy!"

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

In the past, I had a 1963 and 1969 SG Special. I'm a big fan of late 60's SG Specials. I'm probably the only one that does not like early 60's SG.

The "Les Paul" script was never on the headstock of any original SG Specials that I have ever seen. The SG Special is the only SG model out of the original four that never had the "Les Paul" name on the guitar.

A few months ago I acquired a second hand CS 2017 '58 Reissue LP Junior DC. This is the guitar that has cured me of GAS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  6. Bettyboo

Yeah, CS prices are steep, but have you seen the latest round of prices for the CS SGs, they just seem to be going up and up!

7. Bettyboo

Yeah, it is pretty rare and lovely. I did have the 2018 SG junior (best guitar I ever had) - this new guitar is to replace that (I should never have sold it, but at least it gets played every day and gigged most weekends, so it's in better hands).

Funnily enough, I decided to consider all the stuff I like about a favourite guitar: SG (or LP jnr/sp), vintage cherry, P90s, I love the batwing, bound neck with dots, gold Gibson logo. I was looking around last night, quite drunk actually, saw this and made a bid on it - if I get it then it'll be just about the same price as a new SG special, but it's a 2005. Might turn out to be a bad move, but I know many folks on here really rate this guitar and I've always wanted one, rarely see them...

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 10.06.51.png

8. Bettyboo

I'm glad you found a guitar you like, and that is lovely. Funnily enough I was gonna head to Seoul today and play this one! :)

Regarding the SG special with script. I've looked around the web a lot and seen several VOS with the script, and here's a video of a 61' with the script - rare, but they are out there (both original and CS reissue):

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

The SG Classic is my all-time favorite SG.
    I have two of them.

2004 SG Classic

[​IMG]

2006 SG Classic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    koaguilds likes this.
  10. Bettyboo

Yeah, they are lovely!

I ordered one last night, sent an email to them today to ask when they'll send it:

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 18.30.09.png

Sh%t happens...

11. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

How did it cure you? You gassed for it and it fulfilled? OR YOU gassed for it and it let you down despite being a CS?

12. chilipeppermaniac

OK Betty, as I read this and your messages elsewhere, I am guessing you made A choice. BUT in doing so, the place you looked to buy from does not have it in stock.

Here is one of my thoughts as I have followed your travels and the road that brought you to your current location, wife, job, and guitar(s) acquisitions and reduction from your inventory.

As you seek to pick up an alternate guitar to your LP, you would like to get certain spec models at an affordable cost to you in Korea. This narrows the possibilities over many of us from places like the US, Canada, Europe, since you are left with less to choose from due to limited dealers, inventory and high prices in Korea.

Having said this, I have pondered for a few years, how to get you more to choose from and more sources to obtain them from as well.

If you would assist, can you post a list from say 1-10 of the guitars you might like in the order of most desired to least starting with 1 being the most.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

I wanted an SG Classic with that translucent TV Yellow finish, but no such thing exists as stock. I already attempted to have an SG Special refinished to the TV Yellow and it did not turn out to my expectations. I found the LP Junior DC by accident. Never considered one of these because I find the body style to be repulsive. But when I saw the finish and grabbed the fat 50's neck, I quickly forgot about how much I didn't care for the body style. The guitar inspires me to play and that is all that matters to me. I have no need for other guitars. Between the LP Junior DC and my two SG Classics, I could not be any happier.

Bettyboo and chilipeppermaniac like this.
  14. chilipeppermaniac

Yay CG. Btw. I love. The Jr bodies lol

Bettyboo and cerebral gasket like this.
  15. Bettyboo

Yeah, I'm just gassing since I sold the SG junior...

The classic would be a relatively affordable gas easer. But, I've looked over ebay/reverb and not seen a classic that will send to Korea which I reckon is ok. I saw one on reverb at $800 and $200 shipping, but I didn't like the look of the frets - looked like the guitar may need a re-fretting (or maybe just a good clean - I just don't wanna take the risk...

So, I love the SG juniors, but wanna try something else.

I really like the two CS guitars I mentioned - I'll go and look at the DC, not sure how easy it is to view the SG sp although I have bought from that shop before, and returned a guitar to them no problems when I wasn't happy with it (the PRS).

I like the 2019 LP sp, but they are still expensive here, the price hasn't dropped yet.

I've seen a nice 2019 standard, but in black whereas I'd prefer cherry to really show the wood.

I've seen a 2019 61 in cherry for US$1500 which I'm gonna pop to the shop and check out (all these shops are in Seoul, so I'll make a day of it this week; before the wife returns at the weekend! :) ).

Now, I had a guitar teacher who had a 2010ish LP in faded honey, I think his was a classic, and I bloody loved that guitar... &, I've seen this one online which if it's in Seoul (I'll have to call them Monday and check) then I'll visit it - if it blows me away then I'll get it; USĀ£2100:

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 14.46.21.png

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 14.46.34.png

When I do research then visit guitars and buy, I always almost always end up with something that I didn't plan to get at the start (it was that way with the SG junior, but it just played and looked great in hand...). I think the one above is kinda like a standard, but with some traditional features and maybe not high gloss? I'll have to have a look.

I even saw a 2011 special in black, nitro for about $700, NOS, which if I changed out the bridge pup would be nice too, at an easy price.

16. chilipeppermaniac

Good Luck Grumpy Betty

Bettyboo likes this.
  17. cerebral gasket

That's how it seems to work for me as well in the past.
    I find that searching for guitars online is quite a different experience than seeing and holding them in person.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Bettyboo likes this.
  18. Bettyboo

I actually went for something I couldn't try out because it's a limited edition, no chance of getting one locally.

I'm, relying on the fact that I had the similar recent SG junior and it was fantastic, the only review I could find of the guitar was good, the reviews of 2018/2019 SG specials with regard to build quality and factory consistency has been very good. Also, I'm not pernickety... We'll see when it arrives:

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 13.07.48.png
    https://dstryr.me/2019/10/15/gibson-sg-special-vibrola-aged-cherry/

Satellitedog likes this.