Professional Noodling

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Tom Sullivan, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

During the last three months, or so, I've practically become a "professional noodler" (ha)

Rather than taking time to learn songs, I've been spending time writing stuff I enjoy

None of these arrangements are any good but that's really not the point - I enjoy noodling - last night I spent 2 1/2 hours noodling - total bliss :)

I have a fantasy where I drag out my portable amp (Yamaha THX10X) and SG and perform noodling in public for an hour in a busy place - my guitar case fills up with cash (even though I'm having to pay strangers to drop money into it)

Does anyone else enjoy spending hours noodling?

Yeah, I totally realize more development is needed in the economic segment of my plan - I'm working on it ;)

Thanks

Gahr likes this.
  2. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

IF you substituted "noodling" for another word, it would be.... funny?
    I need glasses now, mom always said I would go blind.

I penta - noodle around the boxes a lot adding the flat 5ths or anything else, but never write anything down and forget at least 3/4 of it.
    I have a few I play often though.

I think it is good practice too in there to get the pitch of your bends right; I do that a lot, sometimes with the tuner on and sometimes just by ear comparing it to the note I want to hit.

Good for you and being creative!

Now I will practice Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and N.I.B. over and over this weekend, and it will still sound sh*tty!

3. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

So far, it's not going very well . . .

I gave a woman two $10 bills and asked her to drop one in my guitar case . . . then I was playing and singing "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" while I watched her drive away laughing . . .

Two kids came up to me and one of them stole my GoPro Hero Black 4 w/32GB micro SD card (which had videos of my X's g/f's wedding party - I was playing that gig when a dude threw an almost empty bottle of Jack Daniels at me and I ducked but it grazed my head - didn't hurt, no bump) . . .

Then a policeman stopped by and listened to my version of Sweet Leaf . . . when I finished he said that was promoting the use of Schedule 1 drug use and arrested me . . .

My lawyer didn't answer his voice mail when I used my free phone call . . .

But on the bright side, I didn't get punched in the face or have my amp or SG stolen . . . so it wasn't like it was a total loss, eh

4. Notabot

Notabot Member

Yeah, but did you quit your day job yet?

5. JESUSG

JESUSG Member

You need to put some chicken and rice with the noodles.

6. roxynoodle

roxynoodle New Member

I've been a professional noodler for decades now. Honestly, writing my own stuff is the most fun for me, but of course other people mostly want to hear songs they know.