Professional Noodling

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Tom Sullivan, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

During the last three months, or so, I've practically become a "professional noodler" (ha)

Rather than taking time to learn songs, I've been spending time writing stuff I enjoy

None of these arrangements are any good but that's really not the point - I enjoy noodling - last night I spent 2 1/2 hours noodling - total bliss :)

I have a fantasy where I drag out my portable amp (Yamaha THX10X) and SG and perform noodling in public for an hour in a busy place - my guitar case fills up with cash (even though I'm having to pay strangers to drop money into it)

Does anyone else enjoy spending hours noodling?

Yeah, I totally realize more development is needed in the economic segment of my plan - I'm working on it ;)

Thanks

2. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

IF you substituted "noodling" for another word, it would be.... funny?
    I need glasses now, mom always said I would go blind.

I penta - noodle around the boxes a lot adding the flat 5ths or anything else, but never write anything down and forget at least 3/4 of it.
    I have a few I play often though.

I think it is good practice too in there to get the pitch of your bends right; I do that a lot, sometimes with the tuner on and sometimes just by ear comparing it to the note I want to hit.

Good for you and being creative!

Now I will practice Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and N.I.B. over and over this weekend, and it will still sound sh*tty!

3. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

So far, it's not going very well . . .

I gave a woman two $10 bills and asked her to drop one in my guitar case . . . then I was playing and singing "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" while I watched her drive away laughing . . .

Two kids came up to me and one of them stole my GoPro Hero Black 4 w/32GB micro SD card (which had videos of my X's g/f's wedding party - I was playing that gig when a dude threw an almost empty bottle of Jack Daniels at me and I ducked but it grazed my head - didn't hurt, no bump) . . .

Then a policeman stopped by and listened to my version of Sweet Leaf . . . when I finished he said that was promoting the use of Schedule 1 drug use and arrested me . . .

My lawyer didn't answer his voice mail when I used my free phone call . . .

But on the bright side, I didn't get punched in the face or have my amp or SG stolen . . . so it wasn't like it was a total loss, eh

4. Notabot

Notabot New Member

Yeah, but did you quit your day job yet?