PRS Custom 24: Question for owners / players

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Steve D, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Hi. I have a chance to buy a PRS Custom 24 for a sick cheap price. It's a 2011 Guitar Center exclusive where they contracted with PRS to make 100 "1985 Throwbacks". These are made to the 1985 specs, including the shorter heel, the bridge and tuners from that era, and some odd electronics with a 5-way rotary switch and a toggle "sweet switch" that boosts mids.

I wasn't in the market but the guy is asking $1200 for a custom 24, that's seems like a steal depending on condition (which I will inspect in person). I've never played one myself so I am curious about a couple of things. I will play this before I buy it but it's an hour away so if it's not for me for obvious reasons, better to know now.
    1. How do these things feel on a strap? Any issues with neck dive or weight? I have a bum shoulder which is one reason I favor SGs. These appear to be heavier, maybe strat weight but I'd like to know if anyone can weigh in.
    2. Are there any obvious issues I should look out for? Some guitars are notorious for certain problems (Gibson headstock repairs, for example).
    Thanks, look forward to any help. PRS Throwback Body.jpg

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

No, thanks.

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

1. They feel great on a strap, balanced and lovely. The arched top falls naturally under your arm allowing a comfortable position. Nice neck, slick player.

2. The thick, glossy finish feels awful to me and will never change. Alien archeologists will find PRSs in the ruins 50 centuries from now, and that encased in lucite feel will still be there.

3. The 5-way switch gives one nice tonal position (neck pickup alone). The other 4 positions are as non-descript and vanilla as can be. The "sweet switch" works as designed.

Newer style PRS guitars have better pickups, more usable and useful controls. I still don't llike them much, but people I respect very much seem to think they're ok.

Yes, I fell for the hype in the late 80s or early 90s, and bought one. Had it for 3 years before I finally accepted the fact that it was a mistake. Sold it for a loss and bought a Les Paul with the proceeds. Never regretted it.

Steve D likes this.
  4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I got mine in 1989 for $2K. It's played about 250 gigs since then. All I've ever done is change strings , it's never let me down in any way. The trem also works every time and back to tune. But remember PRS was a different company in 1989! And if anyone fooled with any adjustments like especially the bridge and didn't know what he's doing it's then screwed up! Around the time I got mine everyone who got one seemed to change the pup's. I didn't cause I decided to try and make a go of it with them and managed to somehow make it work. At the time I had 30 other guitars I could of drawn from to use and if I needed to do real crazy stuff w/the bar, especially in 89' I switched to a Floyd or Kahler equipped guitar. All I can say is drive the hour, I always did when I had too and it was easier to pass on one. Mine was ordered in scarlet red so it took 6 months to come in.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not a CUSTOM SE aka made overseas? If so then the price is kind of high ish for used.

My PRS Schizoid has the same shape etc with 24 frets and even though made in Indonesia it's a dream guitar. Perfectly balanced on a strap and well ha ha no neck diving.

6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

No it's not a Custom SE. It's a US made Custom 24 that Guitar Center had custom made, 100 guitars with specially selected wood like a matching flamed maple headstock and I think ebony fretboard (on this one, all 100 were kinda unique). They want listed for $4,999 new in 2011 but apparantly that was too steep for most people and I've seen that a bunch were deeply discounted to $2500-3000. Since there were only 100 there are few sold ones on Reverb or Ebay but they all sold between $2,000 and $2,600 with one or two catching much higher prices for unknown reasons.

Everything I hear about the SEs has been good. However here's my issue. I have no space. So if I buy a guitar, one has to go. For this one I could maybe make an exception (the case would be a big issue though) but I'm at breaking point. Given that, I prefer to buy ones that have a chance of retaining their value so if/when I sell to make way for something that in the moment looks sexier, I don't lose too badly. A USA custom 24 will always have some level of value and if I got it for a 50% discount like this one, even better. The SEs are cheap but they will not hold value I think. If you bond with it and want it for life, who cares? If you think it might be a rental, it matters. That's why I bought a Custom Shop SG when I saw one around the same price as a new SG Standard. I got a good deal on that and I think I could even make money on it but that one I think is a keeper. It just feels, looks, and sounds so damned good!

Anyway I really wanted this but someone bought it out from under me while I was on my way to go check it out. What are you going to do? Off to play my SG Special, which narrowly missed being put up for adoption.

Thanks all who weighed in.

7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Good deals go fast.