P'up advice for a three p'up SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rocknrollmouse, Jul 13, 2019.

1. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse New Member

I have a three pickup SG (a "Gibbo" copy). It has three humbuckers. The Neck and Bridge have their volume and tone controlled as on a two pickup SG (ie each has its own volume and tone); the toggle switch also works like on a two pickup. The Centre pickup is turned on via a push/pull pot; there is no volume or tone control for this pickup. The volume of the centre pickup is a little less than the other two (at full), but it blends in well, and I'm very happy with the sound.

My query comes about swapping the pickups and advice on how to make sure they all match. I'm not as happy with the Neck pickup as the other two, and so would like to swap it out, but obviously it's replacement has to fit with the other two and not swamp out the centre one. Any advice on matching in a third pickup please?

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

What exactly do you not like about the neck pickup? Before swapping pickups, have you tried adjusting the pickup height? Can you not dial in the volume and tone controls for said pickup to your liking?

3. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse New Member

The neck pick up just doesn't quite cut it for me, it's not really articulate to my ear. For softer parts it lacks definition, for louder parts it lacks bite.
    There's not much space between pick and strings (a typical 3pup drawback as I understand it). The lack of definition isn't the wooliness I hear when adjusting hight or screws.

4. cerebral gasket

Neck position humbuckers always sound muddy to my ears. I do like the sound of a neck position single coil on a Strat.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Maybe try a HB size P90? I've got similar feelings about the neck pickup in my G400 Pro and I think I'm going to try it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

Good call.
    I was thinking the same thing but don't have any experience with P-94's.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019