Pushing the boundaries with the SG

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by koaguilds, Apr 8, 2018.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

There are lots of reasons people buy particular guitars to play particular genres of music, three common factors are:

1] Whether they can comfortably play the instrument in that style, and whether it can deliver the appropriate sound.
    2] Whether the visual style of the instrument suits their taste and how they wish to appear when playing it.
    3] What other people have chosen to play. (We're social animals, we like to conform, even when we're rebelling).

I can't see any reason that [1] would be a factor that stopped anyone buying an SG*, unless it also stopped them buying any other Gibson solid body, as the SG shares the same materials and construction (pups/wiring/woods/etc.). So I'd guess if there's anything limiting the SG to a particular genre, it's [2] or [3].

(* Of course I could mention neck dive, but then you'd all have to kill me, so I won't) :)

2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Maybe simply because it can?

People's tools of choice differ. And if a player can make a guitar sound the way he wants it to in a given setting, why, I guess it is the right tool for the work.

Granted, the SG is used more by rockers than jazzers. (I have a feeling a lot of it is more down to tradition and looks than the actual sound of the guitar itself.) But that doesn't take away from the versatility of the guitar. I don't think it is about whether or not the SG can sound exactly like a Strat, Les Paul, Tele, Gretch or whatever. Versatility is more about how a good player can make it work to great effect in different styles. And I think the SG is a very good guitar in that respect.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It's to be very narrow minded to think that the SG is a sonically specialized guitar. The only area where it is limited, it's in it's looks. An SG can't look like anything else than an SG.

I don't think the player in the OP's video is doing anything out of this world. He's simply playing a humbucker guitar through some great effects and he is very melodic doing so.

koaguilds and cheshiergrin like this.
  4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

It CAN look like a parrot!

[​IMG]

5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

My first guitar teacher, a jazz guy, played a SG. Also had a White Falcon, but preferred the SG. My second and last teacher, played an SG, and played jazz on it. He had quite a few other guitars, but preferred the SG for jazz. I think the SG is perfect for jazz.
    Yes, you can use other guitars in other genres. I do it all the time. Did a blues gig with a Mockingbird, did metal on my L6s, doesn't matter what guitar it is, you can play whatever. But certain guitars fit best in certain genres. SG and jazz, fits quite well.

koaguilds likes this.
  6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Oh God.... Gibson and plywood.

7. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Les Paul's reaction to the SG is telling me thinks. Pretty much Les didn't care how it sounded, he couldn't get past the SG's looks. And really, a guitars sound has almost nothing to do with what genres of music it's traditionally played in.

8. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Not even close. It's how a certain part of the female anatomy looks when you're on acid. It's all good though. Back in the day everyone knew that LSD only killed the weak brain cells.............

DrBGood likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That was a beautiful Think Outside the Box SG. Must be heavy though with all those colors.

AngelDeVille and Gahr like this.
  10. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I really love it. I don’t get why so many people dislike it. Sure, it is pretty far from the traditional looks of an SG, but still. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of double volume and tone controls.

11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Does it neck dive?

Those are so fugly, I’m starting to like them.

Gahr and cheshiergrin like this.
  12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

No idea, but assuming it is indeed a parrot I think the neck will fly back up before it hits anything.:D The Zoot Suits are cool as hell.