Put 500+€ in a 435€ guitar. Am I the only one that mad?

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Slick George, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Slick George

Slick George New Member

Hello to all you SG-devotees! I bought a 2016 SG Faded T in 2017 new from Amazon. I'm not a great fan of Amazon or buying guitars I haven't laid my hands on, but it sold for only 426€ instead of 599€, which was the next best price I could find for this model. I've had, besides other stuff that came and went, a Squier ST 62 since 1986 and an Epi LP Standard since 2002 that's nice but not doing its thing as good as the Squier does the strat-thing. Put in Duncans 59, Alnico2s, JB. Didn't really get me any further. When I had a little extra income from a well payed gig, I decided to buy a rock-guitar and spec it up as the money comes in. The plan was to mod it until I thougt it catched up to the good, old strat so I would have a real humbucker alternative. I bought a new bridge and tailpiece from milled brass and aluminum. I spent 130€ on that and to me, it was more than worth it. Before, the tone was strong and even, but a little boring. The new stuff made it livelier, easier to manipulate and slightly increased the allready good sustain. Next time I had some extra money I thought:"I can't afford a high end guitar, probably never will, but how about some high-end pickups?!" Everybody loves their Duncan Antiquities so I tried Lollar Imperials:naughty:! They were the same price but a bit more exotic, at least here in Europe. Its the regular-wind set, payed 379€ for it and never regretted it. The Lollars are transparent, cutting but warm, biting and vocal at the same time, weak enough to clean up well when turned down but strong enough to make my 2203 bark and sing, even at lower gain settings. So, all in all, I've spent more on after market parts than on the guitar itself. Still I think I would have a hard time finding a new humbucker equipped solid body guitar that I like as much as this SG for the same money. And its a personalized classic. What do you think? Keep everything stock and step up by buying and selling untill you can afford the really good stuff or mod to your (sometimes varying) taste? Maybe save quite a bit but cutting your resale value?p

Bettyboo likes this.
  2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

My answer? Mod so I get what I want, as I buy and sell to be able to buy what I Really REALLY want!

Bettyboo likes this.
  3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

The SG faded is a great starting point. Adding bits you like from there just improves it for you. If you're happy with the guitar then it can last you forever, so seems like a good deal to me...

Slick George likes this.
  4. Slick George

Slick George New Member

@Bettyboo:That's what I was thinking. The basic guitar is fine, you don't need to mod it. The low-end Gibsons got some bashing here and there but very often for things that I thought I could fix or that wouldn't bother me. I was lusting for a high end guitar but income didn't quite come in. But I could afford to buy a good guitar and spec it up time after time and somehow make it my own, which is part of the fun. I don't care as much for beauty or prestige as I do for sound and reliability. (So locking tuners might be next.) I'm extremely happy with the result I got and can only encourage anybody to do it. Ok, you've got to know, what you want and take some time researching what gets you there. It was fun to gradually spec the guitar up, play it, and kinda "watch it grow". My lust for an expensive Gibson is gone (for now;-) Allthough... 335s are great. And I don't have a good Telecaster.... :cool:But this SG is now just like I like them! Just want to share my enthusiasm. Hope you don't mind:fingersx:

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

Ignore all Gibson bashing. Guys who trash-talk Gibson on internet fora
    are really annoying, and many times turn out to be repeating some bullshit that
    they heard somewhere, in order to seem knowledgable. It doesn't work.
    There are some truly sad stories, of guys who paid way too much for a guitar
    that didn't live up to their over-inflated expectations, and turned out to be an
    irritation in their life instead of their pride and joy. Those tales make me
    unhappy, and ETSG wisdom covers such tragedy by saying sympathetically:
    PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT...

The only person whose opinion is important is you... and you make up your
    own mind by listening to your guitar and your amp, not to strangers on some
    forum.

It seems to me like you got an excellent bargain, paying
    a low price for a fine instrument. The Gibson SG special T makes a good
    mod platform. Buy it because it's affordable, make what you want of it, and play
    the hell out of it.

I have done the same thing... I bought an '07 SG faded special and proceeded
    to mod it from stem to stern, and from headstock to tailpiece. I didn't do this
    because there was anything wrong with my SG special. I did it because I fell
    head over heels for this guitar and wanted only the best of everything for it.
    Also, I had a lot of smokey fun working on my beloved Gibson.
    IMG_1097@100.jpg
    That humble faded SG remains my favorite electric guitar and it's more than ten
    years later. May you have this joy.

6. Col Mustard

Personally I totally agree with the concept of buying a basic model
    of an excellent brand, and then modifying it to get the tone and
    the look that you want.

I don't understand paying more than $2000 for any guitar.
    That's only my personal attitude, and the fact that for most of my
    live, guitars were something I used to make my living. So they had
    to pay for themselves, as business equipment investments.

So a 435 Euro guitar can be modded to your hearts content, based on
    the sound you need for the music you intend to play. And as long as
    you do your part, the guitar will do what you need it to do.

A $3000 Gibson Les Paul can be a work of art, but it doesn't sound any
    better than a $500 used Les Paul studio faded... in my opinion... the same
    for SGs

I'm not a Les Paul guy, so if I owned one it would be the workingman's Les Paul
    above... or an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute. Either of those will do everything that
    a rocker needs done, and pay for themselves soon, and they won't attract too
    many guitar rustlers. They can play in sleazy dives where most of us get to play,
    ...where expensive Gibsons fear to tread...
    ...without causing their owners to suffer paranoia.

and THAT, my friend is priceless.

7. Slick George

Slick George New Member

Hello Everybody! Nice to see folks answering my post that, in a way, strengthened my back when deciding on "doing my SG-thing". I 've read lots of threads on this forum before parting with my money and I've found encouragement and knowledge. Thank y'all for your help! @ Col Mustard: Always liked your posts. There's always a nice ballance of reason and passion in them. Just like in good music... Btw, is there a thread about how people got into SGs, their stories, what made them get one and what that meant or did to them?

8. Col Mustard

Lots of us have stories. I've told mine so many times (on this forum)
    that I'm sure everyone's tired of it, so I'll rest easy and let others speak.

9. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I bought a used G400 about 10 years ago at what I felt was a reasonable amount. Over the next couple years I swapped out just about everything but the wood, pick guard and knobs. Probably doubled what I payed for the guitar. I will never get my money back in cash.... but in those two years I learned about working on guitars. Setting them up. Getting intonation proper. Etc. I had fun and learned a lot. So as the good Col said. It’s your guitar. You’re the only one you need to impress. Make it your guitar and play the crap out of it.

Bettyboo likes this.