Put my strap button on the horn.

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by chrisoldroyd, Jan 26, 2019.

1. chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd New Member

so I went ahead and moved the position of the strap button from the back of the guitar to the tip of the horn. I used the same screw and button.

I drilled a very fine guide hole at a slight angle into the wider part of the horn as I wanted the button right on the tip but was scared of being too close to the edge. I then kept increasing the bit size and then when the hole was a bit smaller than the screw I fitted the button and screwed it in.

It is really tight and no sign of any movement. G400 Pro now sits in a much nicer position and no more neck diving.

Will keep a close eye on it over the next few days and post up a pic when I get a minute.

straydogger69 and Worblehat like this.
  2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Does this really counter neck dive? I haven't been convinced by this claim so far...

Disclaimer: I have the Epiphone Iommi Signature which has the button on the horn by default. It still has mild neck heaviness.

Waiting for your pics!

3. chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd New Member

Worblehat likes this.
  4. BillyHunt

BillyHunt New Member

Practical as it may be......I couldn't have that sitting on the end of my horn like that :shock:. I've solved my neck dive with a wide suede strap.

5. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Member

Physics are absolute. One of my early guitars was a BC Rich Warlock, tho, so the SG "neck dive" phenomenon seems more like a "slight neck sag" to me.
    On that warlock, btw, I did the same thing OP has done to his SG, and it completely eliminated the neck turbo swan dive straight into the darkest depths of hell phenomenon.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If I were you, Id drill a deeper hole and put in a screw at least double the lenght. You don't want that horn to crack open don't you ?

If it was mine to do, I'd grind the underside of the button, so it matched the horn surface angle. Maybe half way to the circumference of the button base. With the longer screw, then you get something bullet proof.

52848371-1-AAD-405-E-9-B1-B-A31255293-DC3.jpg

7. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

:thumb:

8. BillyHunt

BillyHunt New Member

Yes, agreed. It looks like it's not going to end well as it is now :shock:

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I hope that it works out. The qualities of wood, even wood from the same tree are so variable that I would not trust that mounting without seeing the bare wood's grain before hand. If it is tight enough and the wood is hard enough, it's golden.

10. Biddlin

If I had a real issue with my SG neck diving, and I don't, I'd go with sister Rosetta's much more traditional and elegant solution.
    [​IMG]

dub-setter likes this.
  11. UTGrad

UTGrad Member

Looks good but does that really help with neck dive? MyG400 has awful neck dive.

12. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    Well if it doesn't you're screwed because unless you mount a lightning rod on your headstock, there ain't no further forward to strap it down.:rofl: Maybe it's just my amazing strength that allows me to control a sub 9 lb. guitar without any weird contraptions or re configuring the hardware placement, but honest to Maria Butina, I never gave it a thought until I read so many posts from those for whom it is an issue. Sam put a flower on his headstock with complete confidence.:naughty:

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Same here. I started loosing sleep over that, the day I joined this forum.

I played a SG bass for years when I was young and I don't remember having nightmares about neck dive then. And man, that is a long neck compared to a 6 stringer SG. 5¾" lonnnger, with humongus heavy paddles for tuners.

1975_tonemapped.jpg

AngelDeVille and Biddlin like this.
  14. Biddlin

Love those.

AngelDeVille likes this.