Question about Fender Champion 20 practice amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DanB, May 17, 2019.

1. DanB

DanB Active Member

Good morning everyone (or good evening to our friends on the other side of the world), I am currently in the market for a new practice amplifier (the old one is almost 40 years old, about a Roland Cube 20, starting to show its age!). I am looking at the Fender Champion 20 as a possibility, because of its cost (under $ 100.00) and because it has a number of built-in effects. Many of the written reviews about the amplifier have been positive and I have viewed some reviews on Youtube which say nice things about the amp, plus it appears to sound good on these videos. Is there anyone on the SG Forum who owns or owned one of these amps or knows someone who does? And if so, what is the good or not so good quality of the amp? Is the Fender Champion 20 worth purchasing or is there another comparable practice amp in this price range with the same features that is as good or better? Thanks ahead of time for your input!

Clifdawg likes this.
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

My opinion: Skip the Champion 20. Go for the Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2. I know because I played both pretty extensively.

It's about ten bucks more, but it's ultra-portable, dead simple to use, weighs practically nothing, sounds huge, and doubles as a surprisingly decent stereo.

You mentioned effects as a selling point, so if that's what you're into, the Blackstar is the way to go. All the effects are studio-quality, in stereo, and you can select one each of four reverbs, delays, and modulations (and toggle and tweak each individually). You can tweak and save a patch on each of the amp models, or just switch on "manual mode" and use it like a traditional amp.

I can replicate the sound of my modded Marshall DSL40 with surprising accuracy. That's the best compliment I think I can give it.

Plus, it's currently available in a sexy black tweed pattern... And everything is better in tweed. :rofl:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Sweetums and DrBGood like this.
  3. DanB

DanB Active Member

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If you don't mind buying used, the Vox Vavetronix series is also very good. Can't tell you about the Champ20 though except that it probably has the same effects as on my Super Champ, and they're all good.

5. DanB

DanB Active Member

Thanks vox is another good brand that I have looked intp. (I really would like a stack of Marshalls but don't think the neighbors would be happy with the noise of my wife with the price!)

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nice thing with the Valvetronix is the attenuator knob in the back. You set the wattage as you like, from 0.01W to the max the amp can give and the tone stays pretty much the same.

DanB likes this.
  7. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

I second the Blackstar ID:Core line for a practice amp at this price. It's super easy to use and has impressed a lot of my pals who have played through mine.

DanB likes this.
  8. DanB

DanB Active Member

Update on my amp choice. Thanks Clifdawg for your advice. Guitar Center had new Blackstar Core 10V2 amps on sale for $ 89.00 as part of a Memorial Day sale, I bought one the other day and I am truly loving it! Love all the different effects, I especially like that you can even hear the effects well when playing at low volume unlike other amps. Also I like that unlike many other practice amps, you can crank the sound up pretty loud! thanks for your advice
    ps the only difference between your amp and mine is that mine came in a nice white color which actually looks pretty nice, at some point will need to post a pic!

9. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    This is certainly worth a watch if you are after a practice amp

DanB likes this.
  10. DanB

DanB Active Member

thanks I'll take a look, I LOVE these two guys, they do some great shows, I particularly like their most expensive Epiphone versus cheapest Gibson series, they have done several comparing Gibson and Epiphone SGs

donepearce likes this.
  11. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    And Chappers can recognise the Gibson without even touching it, just by the smell

DanB likes this.
  12. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

OMG! I watched those cheap Gibby vs. expensive Epi demo. I hated it! They seem like high or drunken there. That video erased my trust on these guys.

13. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it! I feel like these get looked over a lot, but they really are great bedroom/living room jam amps.
    Nitro finishes do have a unique smell to them, as compared to poly (which doesn't really smell at all).
    Yeah, that one was pretty rough, but I always try to remember - this is a store trying to sell gear. I still feel like they're more candid than they really have to be... All that said, I prefer Pete and Rabea's playing. Seriously good chops from both of those guys.

HackeIommi and DanB like this.