Question about pickguard replacement

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by johny0423, Dec 16, 2016.

1. johny0423

johny0423 New Member

Hi all, i hope you re doing great. So , i want to buy a gibson sg standard and im thinking of buying the new 2017 model , solely because it has a slim taper neck just like my 2012 les paul studio (i was thinking of buying the 2016 model, but then i found out if has a rounded neck which i dislike very much). However, there are 2 things i dont like about the 2017 model. First are the tuners (not a big deal they can be replaced with traditional ones easily) and the second is the pickguard (i prefer the full sized pickguard that 2016 model has). That being said, here is my question ; is it possible to remove the small pickgaurd (along with the pickup frames) and install a full size one? (I know that if its possible i ll have to drill holes to my guitar which i dont mind). Thanks in advance
    Edit
    I wanted to post two links for two pickguards i found and wondering if they would fit but the for some reason when i try to post them im receiving a notification that my thread cant be posted because it may contains spam... Anyway, the pickguards are the Göldo Pickguard Double Cut XSM3B and one from northwestguitars.co.uk. Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. WallaceWinston

WallaceWinston Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem, just measure.

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Not really. You'd have exposed screw holes at best and at worst, it would not fit due to the switch position. If you don't mind losing the poker chip it might be possible.

One of the websites that does pickguards had a printable template for the batwing so you can cut it out and check fitment. I would do that.

4. johny0423

johny0423 New Member

Thanks for the feedback :) Actually i think that the 2017 model doesnt have a poker chip so it may be able to be done? Also if i wont be able to do that i ll might go for the 2016 model. Im just wondering how chunky the neck is in the 2016 model. In the gibson website it says that neck is rounded and nothing else apart from that (like the profile for example). I remember trying out a gibson lpj 2014 which a very chunky neck (at lest for my taste) and i didnt like it at all. In the gibson website it says that 2014 lpj has a 50s rounded neck. Is that the same one as the sg 2016 model? If its not and its thinner (sort of 60s but a bit chunkier), i think i ll go for the 2016 model. Thanks again

5. johny0423

johny0423 New Member

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately,in the website it doesnt say the dimensions of the pickguard, so i ll order them and if it fits then ok. Im wondeirng though how chunky is a gibson sg standard rounded neck , like the one in 2016 model. How doest it compare next to a 60s profile one? To be honest, its the only reason im not thinking of buying the 2016 model.

6. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

Definitely go play some guitars first. The neck profile is gonna mean a lot more to you than you can imagine. I have a guitar currently that gets no play time because it has a chunky fat C profile neck. I bought it online and didn't verify the neck type. It was an ebay purchase that couldn't be returned, so I have it up for sale. I prefer the slim taper D 60s profile necks. Playability is more important to me than cosmetics. I like the batwing guard too rather than the small angel wing. If you can't find one that fits, there are sites that custom make them for you. Good luck!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. johny0423

johny0423 New Member

Hey thanks for the feedback man i appreciate it. Yeah, if i could i would have played the guitars in person, unfortunately where i live (greece) , its a bit hard thing to do as all the guitar shops are really small and the majority of them have shitty guitar brands and stuff generally. For that reason , im planing on going in the UK this summer and to be more specific in andertons, as they seem to have SO many guitar brands in stock. This place is literally the guitarist's (and musician's) heaven :p Id love to go to america as i believe there are countless stores that have every guitar brand i can think of, but unfortunately the tickets are so expensive i could buy 2 high end guitars :p Thanks again take care

8. tolm

tolm Active Member

In my experience, the "SG Rounded" profile is very chunky: personally I like it a lot but you'd need to play it to be sure.

2015 model will have the current HP spec neck width and brass/titanium adjustable nut which, again, I think you'd want to play to see if it's a showstopper for you.

In terms of pickguard, I've fitted "batwing" guards to a couple of small-guard SGs over the years. They do fit but you usually end up with on screw hole uncovered down near the switch due to differences in the shape.

9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

From what I've been able to work out, the Rounded 50s is thicker - perhaps what Gibson sometimes call 'Rounded XL', whereas the 'Rounded' used on the 2016s is only slightly thicker near the headstock, more so around the 12th fret. If you look at any of the 2015 models, you'll see cross sections. I came up with the following figures, but I'm not sure Gibson are that consistent with the numbers & names!

0.800 / 0.900 – Slim Taper or Slim (’14 Standard)

0.818 / 0.963 – Rounded (’16 Standard)

0.870 / ?? (Non-Gibson source) 2008 SG, 50s Rounded

0.900 / 1.000 - (Non-Gibson source) Early 50s

Note that those last two are significantly fatter at the headstock than the 'Rounded'.

I have a 2014 Standard (Slim Taper) and a 2016 Standard HP (Rounded + wider neck on the HP), and I switch between them comfortably - only really noticing the slightly wider fretboard. Now, I've always thought I was pretty sensitive to thick necks, having learnt on a Guild S-60 with the slimmest neck I've ever played - and it was my main guitar for a decade. I've sold several guitars because I found the necks too fat... So you may also find the 2016 is comfortable for you, but you really need to try before you buy! I went to Andertons to compare a couple, and also tried out a 3rd SG with a slim profile neck, just to make sure!