Questions about New SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by TPB, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TPB

TPB New Member

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new Pelham Blue SG at Zzounds.

pelham.jpg

Have a few questions on it and these coil-tap SG's in general.

First, has anyone bought on of these? Would love to hear opinion.

I just returned a new 1966 Epi SG. Just did not feel right in the neck for me. Felt too thick. I've played newer Gibson SG's and like the neck on those as far as feel. This states slim taper D which I'm assuming is close to Gibson. Not sure.

I plan on giving the pickups plenty of time to see if I like. If I do choose to upgrade, is it a major hassle not having 4 wire? I have used antiquities in the past. Not even sure if they come in 4 wire.

Any info most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Hmmm, well I honestly don't pay much attention to neck size but in general would say Epi SG necks are a bit thicker than Gibbos, but my 03 Vintage (top) is a bit thinner than my 2005 Deluxe. That's good for all those who like thick necks I guess. My two most snarling SGs are Epis, though I tamed the 03 vintage with 57s. My advice is to play with less pressure on the back of the neck and let your hand adapt the the guitar neck you're playing. People seem to get wrapped up in minutiae like this, instead of just playing the instrument.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    fos1 likes this.
  3. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Member

I have one Epi G-400 with coil taps and one that I replaced the pots with CTS 500K's, I honestly have no use for coil taps at all. As far as the neck, I have no issues they feel fine to me although I did sand them down to a satin finish which made a huge difference in playability for me.

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

My '66 G400 Pro came with coil tap, I found the sound it produced to be quite thin and crappy, certainly nothing like a decent single coil. The push/pull pots were junk too, broke fairly quickly and were replaced with regular pots.

It seems the specs on every Epi are "slim taper D", that's what my '66 G400 Pro is stated as having. I haven't played many others, but I reckon they're all a bit different. I agree with Biddlin that it's good to try and adapt, but if a guitar just doesn't feel right then it's not for you.

Not having four wire pickups is fine if you're not going to bother with tapping or other different wiring schemes. Personally I really like the Alnico Pro pickups that come in these models, but your results may vary.

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Neck thickness ought to make no difference if you keep
    your thumb behind the neck.

I'm a player who owns nine instruments. They all have different neck shapes.
    I never think about that, I just play them. I play acoustic, electric and bass.
    That's why I maintain that neck shape is unimportant.

The human hand can play any instrument from a mandolin to a double bass
    with no problems (unless you suffer from some disability in your left hand...
    And some of our members do). If your hand is functional, then you choose
    your guitar based on the tone you need for the song you intend to play.

Just my opinion... and I might be in the minority because we see so many
    posts concerning a few millimeters of wood more or less in guitar necks.

I am fond of the two Epiphone guitars I own. They both have different neck
    shapes, but I don't care. One has P-90 pickups and one has hum buckers, and
    that's what determines which one I pick up.

So I recommend Epiphone SGs to anyone. It's likely there was nothing wrong
    with the Epi you just returned. Any other player might have used that instrument
    to great effect. Don't allow the neck shape to derail your music. Buy a guitar
    because you want what that guitar can do
    . Then you practice with it until your
    hand complies with your will.

When it comes to coil tap, I have no use for it. So I don't own a guitar with this
    feature. I own some humbucker guitars, and one with P-90s. When I want the
    single coil sound, I pick up the Epi with the P-90s. When I need the humbucking tone
    I pick up one of the others. I like doing that, much better than trying to make
    a humbucking guitar sound like something that it's not.

If you want to be picky about neck shapes, then you should never order a guitar
    online. You should go where they sell them, and play as many as they'll let you.
    Buy the one that feels and sounds the best. Don't assume that an Epiphone guitar
    might be like a Gibson. You have to play it. Then you'll know.

cerebral gasket and plankton like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

+1
    Use the right tool for the job.

7. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I've got a '16 G400 Pro with coil taps. I've experimented with their use but haven't noticed any major Tele or Strat tone jumping out in my face, which I believe are their intended purpose. Seems as though they just drastically drop the pickup volume when engaged.