Quincy Query

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by ydrive, Feb 15, 2018.

1. ydrive

ydrive Member

Anyone have experience with one of these? https://reverb.com/item/6982856-qui...-style-6-string-electric-guitar-p90-jnr-green It's an SG Junior copy made by a UK company named Quincy Music. I'm considering one over an actual Gibson SG Junior because one: they're a fraction of the price, and two: it appears to have the nicer neck joint then the Epiphone style on the Gibson Junior. My main concern is the neck thickness. I prefer the slim taper profile opposed to the baseball bat sized necks..
    Quincy.jpeg

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Never heard of them, but the color is awesome and seems cheap enough to take a chance on.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

The lacquer reminds me of my linoleum floors... Neat color though. Looks, surfy...

A guitar online, new for $400. That tastes bad in my mouth but it would be one hot guitar... That high voltage tone of the p90 and all.

5. ydrive

ydrive Member

Too bad they're in the UK, or they'd even be cheaper.

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Uhhhhh... No, just no.
    Look at the top, then look at the back. It may say "solid" mahogany, but how many pieces are under that veneer?
    I seriously doubt it's made in the UK, more like China judging by the price and the scarf joint. Think about it.

7. ydrive

ydrive Member

I don't mind a scarf joint, it is stronger then the Gibson no joint method at least. Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not seeing a veneer top either, it sure looks to be about three pieces of wood glued together like most guitars nowadays.

I do find it odd though that the top of neck joint looks flush with the body, yet not so on the bottom side where it counts. It's also much flatter on the bottom of the body, functionally it may be nicer to rest on your leg, but not as nice looking as the beveling.

8. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Look at the front of the guitar. Now, look at the back of the guitar. See the difference in grain patterns? Veneer. And look how opaque the sides are. If you can't see the wood grain, that's a concern.
    And I never said anything bad about the scarf joint. It's just a typical aspect of an Asian guitar build. So to me, it's NOT a UK build. And on that note itself, I would avoid it due to it being misrepresented. How many other lies may they be telling?

Relic61 and rotorhead like this.
  9. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

Well, the photo of the back, could be from another guitar. That doesn't prove it has a veneer. Of course, we can't be 100% sure, but to me it doesn't look like a veneer.
    Also I read that the company is from the UK and not the guitar made in UK. In this price range is impossible to have a made in UK guitar. I didn't read any lies in the listing.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

True - But you can have one hand made in the UK for around £550. Yes, that's about double, but it's still not a lot, and it comes from a brand with a great reputation, going back to 1974. Plus you can choose from a range of options and have one built to your exact spec if you wish.

GS-1 single cut off the shelf £540

GS-1 made to order.

Personally, I'd buy a used GS-1 double cut over one of these, just based on their web site. Might be different 'in the flesh', but I doubt it. TBH I also prefer the look of the GS-1, rather than this 'not quite an SG', but that's just personal taste!

vonserke likes this.
  11. ydrive

ydrive Member

I would be shocked if they were actually manufactured in the U.K. I was thinking that the listed price on Reverb had to be adjusted for the English pound, but I was wrong, I just added one to my cart, and it’s the actual price, which is pretty cool. The video states twice this is a good beginner’s guitar, so I have no illusions, I just have an SG/P-90 itch.

12. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Member

Looks like a cheap build at a cheap price. If you want a cheap guitar, this appears to be one of a great many at that price point. Some end up being pretty good; most end up in the closet, replaced by the next cheap buy. The bridge looks crappy. But who knows? There are some awfully good guitars out there at this price point. But the majority are simply evidence of the "you get what you pay for" truism.

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Retrobump

14. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I can find no reviews on Youtube.. Only way to know is to try before you buy ?

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

... who cares? It's an electric guitar; it doesn't affect the sound.

That's pretty cool looking and a great deal. I just hope it's better built than a Jaguar and doesn't have Lucas electronics! :cool:

But seriously, I would have one of those or a lower end Japanese guitar over most of the Chinese Epiphones and such over $500. But for the real low end, this Quincy actually looks like a good value. It's a good time to be a guitarist!

16. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

OK, the energetic debate pulled me in & I had to take a look at a guitar I otherwise wouldn't think about (forgive me but I'm a Gibson snob, sorry). Anyway..

I see grain pattern front & back that indicates solid wood with no veneer.

upload_2018-4-5_12-21-25.png

Notice the dark center grain section has a curve to it that is identical & reversed on the back, just like a natural piece of wood would be. And that smaller section shows a grain anomaly that is also visible somewhat mirror imaged location with variation just like solid wood.

Hey, a cheap guitar is a cheap guitar. If it plays well & you like it, that's all that really matters.

Although I've gotten particular in my old age about what guitars 'I Want', I am all for people obtaining instruments & being motivated to learn, enjoy, make and play music and these guitars readily facilitate this means & keep it all going forward.

Rock On Brothers from other mothers, Rock On.

PermissionToLand and ydrive like this.
  17. ydrive

ydrive Member

Just revisiting this one. I'm actually thinking of doing something really stupid, like getting the cheaper red or blue version of this SG copy, sanding it completely down, and going with a dark wood stain. I could even do something crazy, like sand down (change) the neck profile, if I find it's too fat.