Quitting --> Paid Band Practice

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Tom Sullivan, May 15, 2016.

1. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

A few months ago I began playing with a band that meets at the local music store - we're in the same age group (~45-55) and it's been fun but I'm not going to continue to play with them

Here are some, not all, of the reasons why I'm quitting:
    • Cost - I pay $100 per month to attend "rock band class" - our band gets to use their practice room with their amps, drums, and so forth - we meet once a week for an hour and a half
      • I actually pay $75 per month because I signed a six month contract but that's still $450
      • I recently purchased an SG for $600 - that's six months of no-contract band practice - or ~2 used SG's a year - wow!
    • Songs - I don't really like most of the songs we're playing - they're somewhat fun but they're not exciting or interesting - there are only two songs we play that I like
    • Experience of Members
      • Our bass player is really pretty lousy - you all know the type, he buys everything including the most expensive guitars, amps, effects processors but hardly ever practices and he's never keeping up with the rest of us - I wouldn't care if he tried a little harder or if he had enough background to learn a little quicker
      • Our drummer is pretty good but he has an attitude - I get along with everyone but I can live without the drama - he's also not very punctual and thinks we should all practice at least as much as he does - ya, whatever
      • Our rhythm guitarist also doesn't practice much - super nice guy but geeze, there are only five chords here dude - take off the blindfold if that helps - oh, you aren't wearing one . . . oops, my bad (ha)
    • Teacher - our "teacher," the guy who is getting paid to guide us is a very nice fellow and he's a decent musician (drums, guitar, bass, & singing) but he's not well prepared and sometimes we practice playing the song wrong, which is annoying - I'd like to see hardcopies of chords, words, something other than scratching out some quick notes that are not even accurate and he's often late, or leaves early, or takes long breaks, and is answering text messages while we are practicing - seriously, can't you just stop?
    • Practice Time - I'm guessing at least 30% of our time each week involves stuff that does not involve practicing or is relevant to practicing - like chit-chat, one-on-one training with one of the musicians, searching the internet for the song, scratching out notes for us to use to play, sometimes we don't know where our "teacher" is . . . not well organized
    So, beginning with July, I think I'll start investing my $100 a month - and my time - into learning songs or creating music I really enjoy, and I'll also be purchasing some items that will make my guitar & keyboard experiences better - there are a zillion of phenomenal learning materials out there - I like many of the DVD's out there and I don't mind paying reasonable fees to help me learn things (I am a college lecturer so paying someone to help me learn seems reasonable - ha)

It's been fun and I'm glad I had a "band experience" but overall, that band experience just wasn't for me. I wasn't expecting perfection or total harmony and I did learn a few useful skills and sometimes it was fun but overall, this experience was definitely not worth signing up again and I'm definitely not going to pay $100 per month for the same experience.

There are two good music stores very close to where I live so, maybe I'll go and see if the other store has something similar, something worthwhile to offer.

WavMixer and RVA like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I can't see myself playing with another musician I don't respect. Actually ... I don't see myself doing anything with someone I don't respect. Too old to do otherwise, no time to loose.

WavMixer, Karathas and RVA like this.
  3. bea

bea Well-Known Member

time for a real band?

4. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Quit and save yur $$$$.
    Play along with CD's/downloads/records/tapes/television if nobody of like-mind is around.....and if real people that breathe show up to jam, then you'll have potential members for a potential band.
    Good drummers are hard to find, and I think they know it. Some might have an attitude.
    Most of all it should be FUN.

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That's a good decision you made.

6. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

it sounds like you are making the right move. it's very difficult (maybe impossible) to find a band where everything falls into place exactly how we'd want it to. so much of the band experience is learning to compromise and adapt until you're all more or less on the same page.

that being said, it doesn't sound like that would have been likely under your circumstances - especially with the added cost factor. i hope a new opportunity arises soon! in the mean time, i concur with your decision to invest in your own education and enjoyment of playing music

7. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Check out open mics or open jams at local bars and restaurants. Some are great and some are not but often you can find like minded individuals and set up private jams.

Hector likes this.
  8. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

Thanks everyone

That's a super-great idea and when I read it I immediately realized I could do sidewalk shows or drop-in performance during open mic night at bars and stuff. I mean, if we feel we must perform, then nothing will really be able to stop us, eh?

Hector likes this.