Rare or unique SGs

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by PhoenixFear, Jul 31, 2015.

1. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

I'm thinking of finding a rare or unique Gibson SG. I'm not looking for something rare just to be rare, but something of decent build and options, whether it be a unique color or electronics. Does anyone have any ideas that would fit this, or is this vague? My Gibson book has huge amounts of SGs but it does not go that far into details. Thanks.

Tuica likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

SG90.

I miss mine.

[​IMG]

3. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

The SG-3 and SG-Z are both interesting guitars.

darth_tar likes this.
  4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I have a couple.

2007 SG Special Faded Worn Yellow (might have been export-only, seems rare in the USA)

2006 SG Junior Coral Pink (Yamano Japan)

I'd recommend both of these to anyone else.

Tuica likes this.
  5. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I had an SG III. Mini humbuckers, cherry sunburst, volume and tone with 2 slider switches. It had no neck angle and had a really skinny neck. Rare AND unique!
    I also like the SG Elite and the SG Exclusive.

Dave_Death likes this.
  6. PhoenixFear

I have always liked some of the Fadeds, like the 3 pickup worn white model or the 2002 crescent moon model. The SG3 model with the singles is pretty cool, I sometimes see those around. I'm debating looking for a sunburst Standard but I haven't decided yet, I've been trying to look more into some of the Guitar of the Week models. Many choices out there.

shreddy bender likes this.
  7. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

SG-24 Firebird mini hb w/ coil taps:

[​IMG]

alexander paul, Moe, Metal89 and 3 others like this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Here's my beauty: I named her April. This is a 2012 SG Special '70s tribute. Gibson only made these for one
    year. I have no idea how many they made, but they were NOT popular and didn't sell well, and were discontinued
    to make way for the 2013s (which were so popular that they are still being sold instead of the 2014s and 2015s).

Because of this, I'm sure you can still find these for small money. No one has figured out yet that they are great
    guitars that were not appreciated for what they can do, but were rejected because of what they are not. *shrugs
    Mine has a unique voice all it's own, and a unique look like nothing else in the cosmos, and I'm very happy with it.
    _DSC0001@100.jpg
    _DSC0003@100.jpg
    Gibson made these as a 'tribute" to the guitars of the '70s (not a replica). That means they were free to
    design an instrument with some of the best features of that time, and none of the flaws. I've added a few
    cosmetic mods to mine, but left it mostly stock (and kept all the parts and the paperwork).

April is a fine guitar. She sports an oversize '70s style headstock, a volute, a Corian nut, a maple neck with a
    fretboard made of "baked maple" which was Gibson's ebony substitute in 2012. She's decorated with '70s style
    block inlays, a Silverburst satin finish and a set of new-design Mini Humbuckers with blade sensors and no pole pieces. Traditional wiring, no PCB.
    April in July@100.jpg
    This was not just TOO MUCH innovation and uniqueness for your average rocker, it was WAY TOO MUCH.
    Guitarists didn't know what to make of this baby, and they bought other instruments instead. But this model
    appealed to me and as I watched, Gibson marked them down, and down again etc... until I could not resist.
    I like everything about this guitar. I like the plain-jane satin finish, I've always wanted a silverburst, I love the
    baked maple neck and the inlays, but the sound of the mini humbuckers is the best feature. It's got all the tones:
    deep growly lows, firm present midrange and clean jangly highs. No mud, no ice pick. The sound is as unique
    as the look, but it gives me what I need and it's not for sale.
    fretboard 8@100.jpg
    I like this guitar so much that I've spent some hours and elbow grease buffing the satin finish by hand.
    I made its pickguard, tenon cover, switch washer and control cover out of ebony, with tung oil finish.
    And I bought a cool custom Truss Rod Cover made of ebony with Abalone and MOP in lays by Scott Swirski of
    Canada.
    Headstock 0515@100.jpg
    April is really nothing like a '70s guitar... She is a 2012 innovation, with some of the cool
    features of the past. She weighs just over 7 pounds. Her tuners are made by TonePros and she
    came stock with Gibson brand 500k pots. All of that works fine as designed. No mods necessary.
    I've used her on several recordings now, played by a friend of mine with an excellent touch and
    she's got what it takes. She sounds great through my Vox VT-30 and I've also been playing her
    a lot through the Black Heart Little Giant shown above. She responds really well to an EQ pedal
    and the two Mini Humbuckers seem balanced better than other guitars I've played. Flick to the
    bridge p'up with no drop in presence. Middle position works well for me. The baked maple fretboard
    is hard and smooth and responded really well to oiling it with Fret Doctor. The maple neck might be
    more stable than the tradtional mahogany... Gibson is still using maple necks to this day on SGs
    and Les Pauls and maybe others.

Gibson confused the issue by designing a much less innovative "SG Special Tribute: '70s" a year later. This model went along with their '50s tribute, '60s tribute and "Future Tribute" models which were much more popular than April and her sisters. The newer version sold better: a lot of our members have them. I feel that it just makes mine more unique.
    rear quarter 0515@100.jpg
    I'm sure that you can find one of these if you like what I've described. Also, I'll bet that people have stripped them and
    you can find a bare body with all these great parts removed, so you can install whatever tickles yer fancy thang.
    One of the other cool features of this design is that P-90 pickups would fit right in, with no modification.
    So if you got one as a mod platform, and put P90s in, you'd have another animal entirely, and likely a fine
    snarly beast. Talk about unique SGs, eh?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  9. PhoenixFear

I've seen one of those, both the Firebird anda variation of the '70s model, and love both, never played one though. I'm either trying to find something with a different electronics setup, or better yet a Reissue of something. I've never tried the baked maple though. I'm used to the ebony fretboard, not sure how hard it would be to find another ebony fretboard SG.

10. Ron

Ron Member

I think the limited run 2011 melody maker guitars are pretty unique in terms of color, body shape and even pickguard design. Really cheap as well, I got one brand new with all the case candy for $400 shipped in Canada.

The 2013 and 2014 SGJs are pretty unique. The rubbed vintage white finish was only offered for one year on the 2013 SGJ and the covered pickups and black tuning keys make it a pretty sharp looking axe.

11. Cmartin

Cmartin Member

Not my thing really but the Zoot Suit edition is different

12. PhoenixFear

Gibson never did a run of the zebrawood for the SGs right? Just for the Firebirds and Thunderbirds?

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

NOTICE:
    ALL RARE AND UNIQUE SG'S MUST BE SENT TO ME PERSONALLY FOR VERIFICATION PRIOR TO BEING CERTIFIED RARE AND UNIQUE.
    PM me for shipping instructions. ;)

14. Dave_Death

I want one for sure.

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

GRab 2 Dave----I want "in"

[​IMG]

Roca, 58pit, terry o and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave_Death

With all that birch it would match my Orange cab. Probably weigh half as much as it too ...

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I AM A RARE and UNIQUE eS.G. lol (and very modest as well) :thumb:

18. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Sg Diablo premium plus.
    I should have kept this one.
    [​IMG]

In Tampa, wayneos, Gibsg and 6 others like this.
  19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

One of my other favorites, The SG Raw Power:
    http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-Raw-Power.aspx

These are out of production, and only available on the used market. You'd have to look diligently
    in order to find one. I only sent you the link to get you drooling on your keyboard.
    It's an all maple SG with '57 Classic p'ups. One of the best that Gibson has ever made IMHO.
    (but not popular enough to stay in production).
    I never had the cash to get one at the time they were available. They were selling for about $1100.00
    if I remember right.

20. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

SG Standard Ltd Edition made only in 2000. I don' t know how many were build but this is a very cool SG.

[​IMG]

Tuica likes this.