Rare SG help

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Metslife, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Metslife

Metslife New Member

Ive come across this SG Special which dates to 1973 with 1977 pots (likely replacement), however its in White finish (possibly TV yellow) and has binding??? Cant seem to find any other like it online, Gibson support said it was likely a Transitional SG that encompassed the binding of pre 73 specials and block inlays and black mini buckers of post 73 specials. Did they even offer SG specials in White at the time?

2. Metslife

Metslife New Member

The site is not letting me post pictures or links
    https: //imgur.com/a/1hz6xIo

3. Metslife

Metslife New Member

https: //imgur.com/a/Wpv0mWj

4. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

If you are on Facebook you can do this... load the photos into a album on Facebook, steal them from there and save them to your phone or computer then upload them to this site from there. Hope that made sense! Cheers!

5. zhivago

zhivago New Member

6. Metslife

Metslife New Member

Ok figured out the upload, had to take new pics, but feast your eyes on this bad boy! Notice the block inlays, black mini buckers, and binding, some combo that i've never seen, not to mention the color!

Attached Files:

7. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I think the dude from kadaver plays a guitar like that one.

8. Metslife

Metslife New Member

Just looked him up, you are close! His has block inlays and binding, but also a crown and looks like full size humbuckers, which I believe the Standards of the period ('73) came with. The odd part about mine is the combination of all 3: binding, block inlays, and black mini buckers. The Specials either had dots and binding, or blocks and no binding as far as I know, and the White (maybe yellow?) wasnt offered (I think). My SG is an anomoly

Norton likes this.
  9. Metslife

Metslife New Member

Any idea what this should be listed for sale for?

10. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Haven't a clue, but that damn thing is sexy as hell! :thumb:

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Very cool and unique find! So here is what I can tell you; the finish is most likely a custom order. White was never officially offered on the Special. Could possibly be a limited run but Gibson didn't do many limited runs back then, generally speaking.

However, I did find another white Special from around 1975 (this one without binding) so yours is at least not the only one out there:

https://www.yeahmansguitars.com/products/1975-gibson-sg-deluxe-alpine-white?variant=21864826568783

The binding actually has a good explanation, and that is precisely because of the custom ordered finish. You see, back in the '60s it was common for Gibson to put binding on White and Pelham Blue Juniors. They didn't always do it, but fairly often they did. I've never seen it before on a '70s model but I think that is exactly what we're seeing here.

Check it out; here is a Pelham Blue '65 Junior with a bound neck:

[​IMG]

The reason I'd say it has nothing to do with the transition in '72-73 is because the '72 actually had 2-ply binding on the neck that was white on the inside and black on the outside. Yours is single-ply white.

As far as TV Yellow, this is not it. TV Yellow is actually translucent and you can see the grain through it. Also, it is common for a 40+ year old guitar's lacquer to yellow with age (also the stains Gibson used in the '70s were not very colorfast). I've seen some from the '80s that are banana yellow and started out white. Check under the pickguard and you'll find the original shade.

Another little unique thing is the truss rod cover saying "S-G", which was only seen on Standards from 1976-1979. So I am inclined to say yours is indeed a 1977 as the pots suggest. The serial number fits the 1976 format, so I think we can in fact narrow it down to a body built in late 1976 and the whole build being finished in early '77. This further supports the custom order theory because the Special was largely phased out in 1975. Small numbers were shipped until 1977, and yours is one of those. 549 units were shipped in 1976 (compared to around 2,000 in 1974) and the next year, it dropped to 232.

One more thing I notice is the tuners. I have never seen ones like those before. But again, they support the 1977 build date because the earlier ones were Klusons, but Kluson went out of business in 1974. So these appear to be something Gibson came up with to look similar. I'd assume they're made by Schaller because that's who Gibson was using for most of their tuners at the time.

Here are the full specs for your Special:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Special#1972-1975

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    DJGranite likes this.
  12. Metslife

Metslife New Member

Wow! What a treasure trove of info, exactly what I was looking for. 1976 SG Special Order Special, nice ring to it!