recommend an OD pedal

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Markm, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Markm

Markm Active Member

Hey all

I am in searchj of an OD pedal to add just some very mild gain to my clean channel.

any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

There's like a bazillion of them.... To some the Holy Grail of OD pedals would be the Tube Screamer. I have not tried one.... yet. Personally, I picked up a Digitech Bad Monkey and for an inexpensive pedal, it's actually pretty decent.

oldrockfan and Tobacco Worm like this.
  3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

One word....

RAT:)

Alex_SG and shreddy bender like this.
  4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Rat.

(or the "burn" channel on a Mesa amplifier. That works well too.)

5. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

i agree wade. PROCO RAT!

6. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

He said very mild gain to my clean channel.:thumb:

As you know I like rat a lot, but for this application you'd have to pinpoint the distortion knob on the rat somewhere between 0.5 and 0.7 position (on the scale to 10... or 11) with a toothpick... well, depending on the paricular model.

Maybe a Ibanez TS 808, Digitech Bad Monkey or Behringer TO 800 would be a better option for this kind of use - all 3 have a very very similar basic flavor. Personally, I even prefer the cheaper two, becouse they have more drive available, if needed.:)

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm a user of the cheap Denelctro pedals - and one of the better OD's I've used is the Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. This can go from almost a clean boost to serious distortion.

Frankly I think these sound as good or better than most of the "boutique" pedals I've played.

Of course the RAT and Tube Screamer are classics, as are the MXR Distortion and the Boss DS-1..and the Big Muff.

Biddlin likes this.
  8. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

the rat is more than a full on saturated distortion pedal. my main overdrive sound is only slightly edgier than my clean sound. i play through a non master volume bassman and while it's clean sound does have some teeth to it it's not a high gain amp by any means.
    i put the gain knob to about 10 or 11 o'clock on the rat to more or less boost my clean sound. basically i set it to sound like my bassman is on 10 when it's only on 4.
    the rat has a lot of useable tones in it unlike some other distortion pedals i have tried in the past.

dbb likes this.
  9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

With the RAT set with very low distortion and mild volume with the filter set to a medium level for tone, the old RAT can give that easy dirt that sounds much like a good tube amp on the verge of breakup when run through a clean amp.

My reason for saying RAT, is simply that it can go from very lean distortion to just under uber fuzz. If limited to one pedal, it is the "dirt pedal" of dirt pedals for versatile dirt stuff. If ya only want one dirt box in the chain that is... My thought was that the OP could get his light distortion and if wanting a bit more beyond the TS style stuff, the RAT has that "extra" in reserve...if he wanted it that is...Just trying to get the most bang for the buck and save space on the board. :)

Col Mustard, shreddy bender and dbb like this.
  11. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Soo...what you're trying to say is that you like the Rat?

Actually, the Rat is on my short list of pedals. I don't really have much more that I want for effects, but I want a Rat and a Blues Driver.

The main thing I'm focused on right now is to accumulate all the parts to build an isolation box for my amp. I made up a set of drawings and just need to get all the stuff.

12. 1ChicagoDave

1ChicagoDave Member

I admittedly haven't owned or used either of these, but I've been itching to try them out. The video demos do make them sound sweet. But, don't take this as a full on endorsement. I'm just sharing what I've been drooling over for the past week or so.

Route 66 OD/Comp pedal
    Free the Sound, Gigs Boson pedal

If anyone has an opinion on these, please feel free...

Thanks!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

There are lots of good OD pedals out there. Iblive beat me to my budget friendly recommendation. The digitec bad monkey cost about $60 and sound really good to me. I had a great one but my son liked it so much that one day he talked me into loaning it to him for an important gig and he never gave it back. I also would like to find one of the older RAT pedals but have been looking for a while now and haven't come across one at a good price.

a buddy of mine has an older tube screamer and it is also a fine pedal. I like the old ones better than the new ones though. After using his... I figured I'd go buy one and went to guitar center to try one and it didn't sound nearly as nice as my buddies. I even went back to my buddy and asked him if he wanted to sell it to me and his response... no way!

14. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Tubescreamers sound like ass to me - nasally mid-hump and a beer can full of wasps. The only TS derivatives I even remotely cared for were the ones where the voice was reworked or given a more dynamic eq-shaping structure (FullTone Fulldrive, Greenhouse Effects Goldrive, CMATMODS Signa Drive).

To the OP, I'd recommend two pedals that'd give you a lot of scope in the lower gain range to play with - CMATMODS Butah and Barber LTD.

Sootio likes this.
  15. Slim Guitar

Slim Guitar Member

I like my Bad Monkey a lot and it gets a lot of use but last year I bought a Boss OD-3 that is even more "adaptable". It goes from clean boost to mild distortion, I am always suprised that it is not used by more people.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

I'm using a clone of the OCD from Fulltone, and it has been a real game changer for me. No mid hump, no fizz, and it reacts nicely to the volume control on the guitar. I put the gain on about 9 o'clock, the level at about 11 o'clock, and off we go. It has a tone knob that only fine tunes the high end. You can pretty much leave it on and just adjust how hard you hit the strings.

gtone likes this.
  17. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

18. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

One thing thats for sure about pedals is you have to try out a bunch to figure out what you are after. Be sure to post up with what you end up getting.

19. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

+1.... I wish I had a few more bucks to spend on pedals... I have a feeling I could become a real pedal nerd.... now that I think of it, maybe it's a good thing I have limited funds .:laugh2:

20. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Here's a video demo of a Bad Monkey pedal. You can hear for yourself, through an SG, of course. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRcHc7FMFo]Digitech Bad Monkey tube overdrive guitar effects pedal demo with SG & Jaguar Junior amp - YouTube[/ame]