recommend an OD pedal

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Markm, Mar 2, 2013.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Boss Blues Driver... like the OP I prefer my f/x to be a subtle change that
    adds a few decibels of boost and some sizzle to my normally cleaner style. I recently found an Ibanez TS-9 used at my local Music Go Round, and just couldn't pass it up. Price was right, and I had some cash in my pocket, lucky me. Come to think of it, I bought that Blues Driver used also... one of the best fifty buck deals I ever did. I believe all Boss pedals are 'buffered' which I think is a good thing because it keeps the signal from losing highs even if you send it through long cable runs. (which I try not to do, in general).

So I have both of those on my pedal board, but the Blues Driver is velcro'd down and the TS-9 is not... the jury's still out on that one. I like to play them a lot, using different guitars, and listen, and tweak them, and play them some more.

There's so much hype and snake oil out there about pedals, and JRC chips etc... it always makes my eyes get squinty, and I'm cynical about 'boutique' anything. People worship the old TS-8 and pay too much IMHO. But if I bought a fancy pedal, it would be a Keeley modded one. I don't think that's snake oil. Any other opinions of Keeley stuff?

attached is a photo of my current paddle board. I run the OD pedals in front of the volume pedal because I've been using the volume pedal as more like an ON/OFF switch lately. *laughs

My signal goes from the volume pedal to the amp's input, and then comes back to the pedalboard from the f/x loop to pick up the EQ pedal, which I find very useful in that spot. Then to the D.I. and split back to the amp. So I use the amp as a stage monitor this way, and can turn it up or down after it goes to the soundman.

Attached Files:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Here's a video comparing a Boss Blues Driver to a Keely modded BBD. :hmm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkMC0shP3E]Boss Blues Drive vs Keeley Phat MOD bluesdriver fat pedal - YouTube[/ame]
    _________________________[​IMG]

4. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Get an OCD.

5. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxIp9CYnp8]Danelectro COOL CAT drive pedal vs Fulltone OCD V4 overdrive guitar effects demo w Les Paul & Dr Z - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

are we having fun yet? if you get nine guitarists around a tavern table, and put down couple pitchers of beer, and ask: "what's the best overdrive pedal?' ...stand back. if they're all friends there might not be any fistfights. If you get a couple hundred guitarists on a forum and ask the same thing, who knows where the time goes?

I think ORF nailed it when he said you just have to try a bunch of them and make up your own mind about which gives you the tone you want. BUT TRY ALL THE ONES MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD FIRST. which was the point IMHO. if you try all of what's been mentioned on this page, you won't go wrong. that's the beauty of this particular forum. lack of B.S. (mostly).

7. BlackSG91

^^
    You gotta love Gearmanndude's white snakeskin boots. :thumb:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. BlackSG91

Digitech - Screamin' Blues distortion overdrive (another affordable pedal) through an SG, of course.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00yr6BzCkA]Digitech Screamin Blues distortion overdrive guitar effects pedal demo w SG & Jaguar Jr amp - YouTube[/ame]

9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Col.
    Yes we havin some fun.
    Black that pic is freakin me out!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2r3vjf4Ks]In Living Color Frenchie Season 2 Episode 6 - YouTube[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

Thanks to you frankd, I'm experiencing a Rick James moment... hallelujah!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHxGBH6o4M]Rick James - Super Freak - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dNIQVYGXbM]Rick James - Give It To Me Baby - YouTube[/ame]

11. adco

adco New Member

I've read on a few sites that the first version of the Danelectro Cool Cat was actually a copy of the Paul C. Timmy OD pedal, which seems to be a pretty popular pedal. Not really relevant to the OP's question, but thought it was interesting.

Back to the OP's question, have you considered a boost pedal? Just something to push the amp a little harder and add a bit of grit. I use an MXR Micro Amp, and it gives a little bit more oomph to my sound. It does seem to add a little top end and chime too, which I like, but not sure if you're looking for that.

12. mtgit

mtgit New Member

Xotic

Xotic EP Booster

13. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Joyo Ultimate Drive from Amazon for about $40. I like it. I don't use many pedals...so my opinion might be suspect, but it works well for me. Seems relatively versatile.

It's supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD...I don't know if that claim holds any water...but there it is.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  14. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Definitely an OCD clone. I love mine.

15. BlackSG91

Here's a Joyo Ultimate Drive comparison with two Freakish Blues Alpha Drivers. The Joyo sounds like a serious pedal with thicker distortion.:hmm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkebhYMOpcI]Freekish Blues Alpha Driver versus Joyo Ultimate Drive comparison - YouTube[/ame]

16. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Those Freakish Blues pedals were Ultimate Drives with a new paint job. I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

17. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Member

BJFE Honey Bee or Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD are my two favorite mid-gain OD's. Lots of fellas like the Timmy but I'm not a huge fan...though I have heard the reason may be that they pair much better with Marshall's than Fender BF style amps :hmm: High gain I'd go with a Red Llama or a CMATmods Signa Drive or an 84 RAT :dude:

18. BlackSG91

Here's a little shootout between the BJFE Honey Bee & the Mad Professor Sweet Honey. Man, I didn't realize how expensive these pedals are! It seems like the MAD has more MIDS, and it's a bit louder than the BJFE. They both sound good and I can hear why they are your favorites. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxpAMQGCeoc]Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive VS Bjfe Honey Bee guitar effects pedal shootout demo - YouTube[/ame]

19. elguapo64

elguapo64 New Member

I use a pedal board which has mucho distortion choices. The Vox tonelab EX. Has a great British distortion. Heavy. Very versatile.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  20. BlackSG91

Did you say VOX ToneLab?:hmm::applause:

[​IMG]

Attached Files: