Recommend me an overdrive to suit an SG

Discussion in 'Effects' started by GazzaBloom, Sep 22, 2014.

1. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I'm looking for an overdrive that will give my 2013 SG Standard with 57 Classics a nice glassy but warm sound when played through a Fender amp at sensible volume. i use a Tube Screamer with my Strat and it gets a great sound on the neck pickup. I just want a cleanish tone with just hint of breakup, that's all.

i find the Tunescreamer has too much of a mid hump for my SG though and it ends up sounding nasally.

Any ideas?

Gazza

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Several folk here may suggest a Digitech Bad Monkey. It's about 50 bucks and does a pretty decent job.

3. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

I'd say an OCD... Nice Overdrive all around.

lineboat, Westernrider and cybermgk like this.
  4. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I used to have a Bad Monkey and it had gain and mids comparable with a TubeScreamer (though more controllable, due to bass and treble controls instead of a singke tone knob). Still sounded great, though I'd say it's not probably what you are after.

For a low gain overdrive, I've heard people recommend the Mad Professor Sweet Honey (or some of its clones, like the Joyo Sweet baby or Movall Firefly). Haven't heard one in person, but the demos sound promising and right up your alley. I bet the RC Booster and its clones would work too

5. Oldgibsonguy

Oldgibsonguy Member

I have maybe a dozen or more Fender amps in my basement right now, and every one of them sounds good with an Xotic pedal of any type but in particular the BB preamp, RC, or AC. I also use the Ibanez Tube Screamer reissue, which has a much more creamy sound and more bottom end to it. Some good samples here;

Xotic effects

6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I started using a Timmy a few months ago and can't say enough good things about it. Very transparent, NO mid hump, and enough gain for just about any overdrive need (though definitely not a distortion). It's so good it's becoming an "always on" pedal for me. They can be really tough to find but well worth the wait and reasonably priced.

7. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

OCD, Timmy, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD. I flip-flop those in between my HRD, Champ and VOX AC4TV.

8. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check these out

9. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Joyo makes an OCD clone called the Ultimate Overdrive. I've listened to A/B vids of both units being tested side by side, and I really couldn't tell them apart. Even better, the Joyo box sells for +/-$20 on eBay.

Another good choice might be the Boss Super Over Drive SD-1. A good choice if you're looking to tighten up some bottom-end flub. It can get a little sharp/knifey sounding though, especially in the upper-mids/highs range. Used copies go for +/-$30 on eBay.

If money isn't an obstacle, I'd recommend the Ibanez TS9. Imo, still the "gold standard" by which all other tube screamers are judged, and with good reason. This is probably my favorite pedal. Ideal for heavy rhythm work. If you don't mind the pricetag, they go for about $90, I'd suggest this or maybe the TS808.

10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Now if one can find this model, then you've got seven different dirtboxes in one. That's the now discontinued DigiTech DF-7 Distortion Factory. Amazing device, and if one can't find the distortion one wants with it then that distortion doesn't exist. As stated, it's a discontinued model, but still out there to be found. The used market has them from time to time. A remarkable unit that so many have overlooked. From a TS-9 to Big Muff and things like the ProCo RAT, DoD 250, Boss DS-1, and others in between. And with four, yes four EQ's aboard, this unit will never have a bad sound unless you want it to. Mine is not for sale and never will be. But they're out there.... Snag one of these and you'll never need another dirtbox again.
    [​IMG]

dbb likes this.
  11. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

I agree with this assessment of the SD-1. I own one but it does get sharp on the high end and isn't really suited to low gain applications.

The Boss Blues Driver (although more expensive) is better on this front.

I use a Bad Monkey as a clean boost and it is a good versatile pedal (thanks to unusually responsible EQ settings for a cheap pedal) for 40-some bucks. I prefer it to the SD-1.

12. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

Yes, the SHOD. Lower gain OD, very responsive like a tube amp, very pick sensitive. Also, very transparent. That said, you have better like your tone without it on, as it is so transparent, it provides very little in EQ on the pedal.

Best video representing the pedal I think
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mPMlqOrKXU]Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive demo by Marko Karhu - YouTube[/ame]

Another good one
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPWpto-YeCI]Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive - YouTube[/ame]

13. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Keeley-modded Blues Driver works well with my SG's.

lineboat likes this.
  14. bananhunden

bananhunden Member

I've used one of these for a couple of years and it has never disappointed.

I used it for the rhythm crunch and paired it up with a BYOC tubescreamer for the leads. That, and the SD Antiquities gave me a big smile when cranking up :-)

Lately though I've been using two other pedal from Keeley, a Red Dirt Overdrive for the crunch and a Fuzz Head for leads.

I love the fact that the Red Dirt can switch between two stages of overdrive to go from bluesy crunch to hard rock chugging.

Yummy!

15. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I gotta be honest with ya here. I get a kick outta seeing the number of different dirtboxes that folks recommend. No bad thoughts intended here folks either. Just an observation. There's so many made today that I have never heard a single person that can give me a definitive count as to how many are made. Why? Simple, the distortion pedal is the most over designed, copied, reproduced, and sold of all effects bar none. Open any catalog or website and see for yourself. In the effects section the distortion/OD/fuzz or whatever you wanna call them section is huge next to all others there. And they continue to add more. It appears that about every three or four months a new dist/OD type pedal is developed for the already highly saturated market. And it never ends. They just keep making more all the time. And I believe this will continue too.

So, where do we begin and what do we do when it comes time to find a dirtbox that suits one's needs? We ask others for their thoughts. We read reviews. Watch countless YouTube videos. And post questions on forums like this one for advice. But really, what I hear with my badly damaged hearing will not sound alike to anyone else. Those younger will hear a totally different tone than I. Yet this is further complicated by nearly everyone else for that matter in just how they hear the same sound. So what to do? Who's right and who's wrong? Everyone and no one. We're all right and wrong at the same time.

We're all individuals. No one is exactly alike. That's good. And so are dirtboxes. So in the end I really believe that the single most important factor here is not what any of us recommend at all. Those are based upon our own individual perceptions of a product. These opinions are really biased by brand loyalty, personal taste, and to some extent, personal prejudicial beliefs known only to the Almighty at times. So again, who's right or wrong? The only real and practical means to find the OD you want is to go out and try several. Listen to as many as you can and pick the one that comes closest to what YOU want to hear. Not me, nor anyone else can pick the right one for you. You have to do that for yourself. Then join the ranks of countless loyal fanatics to the pedal of your choice. Oh yes, and this can change the next time you try another pedal. Then that new one just might be the one..... until the next. We can change our minds and opinions as often as we like. After all, we're only human right? :dunno:

Tazz3 likes this.
  16. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

But exactly what you are saying is exactly why people ask for opinions. There are a plethora of dirt boxes out there. It is mind boggling. I don't think anyone in their right mind, however, is expecting to come to a forum, ask which dirt box to use, then run out and by the first dirt box opined on. It is a way to gather a sampling of what may float to the top of the slurry in the gigantic sea of dirt...a starting point.

Bettyboo, flyswatter and iblive like this.
  17. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

In line with a lot of the recommendations here, I personally use 2 pedals. A clone of the Fulltone OCD (Joyo Ultimate Drive) and a clone of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey (Joyo Sweet Baby). I'll say that, for my purposes these pedals are an absolute steal at around $30 each. I've never had the privilege to play the real thing, so my view is to be taken with an ounce of salt. I have watched countless video comparisons and what differences there are, are too small for me to care. If you have the money for the real thing, have a ball. If not, these clones are pretty amazing.

The OCD is, obviously, a higher gain sort of OD. Quite thick. Very nice. Lots of usable tones. Probably too much gain for your needs. The Sweet Honey is a low gain deal that works well as a boost and for some nice, light crunch. Very tasteful. Very usable. Reacts shockingly well to pick attack. None of that TS mid hump. Probably right in line with what you're looking for. I really like that pedal...well, the clone anyway.

Great review of the Sweet Baby (Sweet honey clone):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsCQLOUJBc

Buy it on Amazon for $30!
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-36-low-gain-overdrive-effect/dp/B007Q28BHE[/ame]

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

I actually tried both the Joyo copy and the real SHOD. Sold the Joyo. I could afford the original, and I did notice, on my rig, both a little tonal and feel differences. I also felt the original was built to last a lifetime, and really liked what the pedals did (ergo likely to keep for a long time). That said. Were the differences noticeable? Yes. But, were they signifigant? No. Were they $120+ worth (assuming the mass produced, SHOD, not the hand-wired)? No.

IF you can afford it, I'd go real Mad Prof. If not, the Joyo will serve well.

19. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Apologies to the OP for going a little OT, but does anyone know if Joyo makes a treble boost style pedal?

20. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Generally speaking, if you want to fatten up your tone, use a Joyo Ultimate Overdrive. If you want to tighten it up, use the Boss SD-1.

I've tried a lot of ODs over the years, but always come back to an Ibby tube screamer. Pricey, but if you want that sound you got to pay them for it.