Recommend me an overdrive to suit an SG

Discussion in 'Effects' started by GazzaBloom, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Mike Kay

Mike Kay New Member

image.jpg image.jpg If you like eq options with your distortion try the PAIA Quadrafuzz. I built one many years back and always get compliments about it's beefy tone. Plus it bypasses electronically. The key to a great distortion tone for me is, add lots of low end to the distorted signal. This makes a big difference!

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6720K

All my guitar efx live in a rack and are all controlled by a FET switching pedalbox I built years back. Ala Pete Cornish. Hence there is no signal loss as I plug straight into the rack. Not 20' of audio to the pedals, and then another 20' on to the guitar amp. The 9pin AMP connector carries the control signals but not audio. Whatever amp I'm using lives on top of the rack with about a 4' cable run.

I routinely blow away all the cutsey pedal guys with this rig. I've got tape echo, Flanger, Chorus, Distortion, AB switching and tune muting, Compression, and I just updated this old rig to be able to control amp Tremolo and Reverb too. Many of the efx were adapted pedals that are now in the rack and can be FET switched instead.

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wow, Mike, that's very cool old-school "prog" looking gear! I love it.

And it's been decades since I heard the name "PAIA".