recommendations for capacitor values please

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by aisuru, Aug 4, 2007.

1. aisuru

aisuru Member

evening all,

as some of you may know, myself and my bandmate ( the mighty pirate, Cpt. Circle-jack ) are currently building a geetar. it will be time to order the electronic parts soon, and i was hoping you ESG fountain-of-knowledge types could offer some advice. :)

the current plan is to have two pickups - a Bare Knuckle Warpig humbucker (22k )and a Mississippi Queen, which is a HB-sized P-90 (7k) with one tone and one volume control. 500k pots for the tone and volume, but what sort of value would be a decent match for both pickups, given their rather differing outputs?

bearing in mind Tim will usually wind your pups to custom-spec for no extra cost, would it be prudent to go for the best option to suit the more 'critical' position, and have the other pickup wound differently to make up for the capacitor's faults?

thanks in advance!

2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

maybe Tim knows the cap values that match the tone response per his pickups best? I for one would check www.guitarelectronics.com and look up thw humbucker diagram and a single coil/ P90 diagram and use the cap values used there.

3. aisuru

aisuru Member

GuitarElectronics seems to suggest .047 & .02, but i can't tell which one is for which pot ???

4. doveman

doveman Member

This is all to taste ... there is no "right" cap for any pickup. Just get several orange drops (.015uf, .022uf, .033uf & .047uf orange drops) then I hook them up with alligator clip wires (from radio shack) while I'm playing the guitar. Do the bridge pickup until you like the sound ... then the neck pickup. Solder in the ones that sound best when you move the tone pot. I generally end up with a lesser value on the neck than the bridge. For example: .015uf(n)/.033(b) OR .022uf(n)/.047uf(b). You can switch them while the guitar is hooked up to the amp. This is so cheap and easy, everyone should try it.

The pots are actually more critical IMHO and get you in a range first ... the caps just tweak it out. The last thing you can do is a treble bleed mod if you are losing highs when you roll off the volumes.

Get the pots right ... then the caps ... then the treble bleed (if needed). That's the way to go. :)

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Start with .022 and work from there ... .033 is kinda like tuning a guitar to an open chord w/ most pups .. buy a bunch and some clips and clip each one in .. it's fast and easy to do quickly, while listening l

6. aisuru

aisuru Member

think we might try that then, cheers guys!