Removing 2 Frets from SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hardrockerdave94, Sep 17, 2019.

1. hardrockerdave94

hardrockerdave94 New Member

Hi, I've got a 2015 (I think) Gibson SG 60's Tribute. Absolutely love this guitar's body shape as it's got the proper 60's style bevelling and body shape but the only thing I hate about it is the 24 frets. It just looks strange to me and they never get used.

So I was looking at potentially removing them and cutting the fretboard down - which would then be covered by the plastic cover the small pickguard shape SGs have.

Anyone with more experience in fretboards and working on guitars got any advice as to whether this is do-able, or if it's going to be problematic?

Thanks, David

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    For goodness sake don't. Sell it and buy what you really want. Or offer it as a swap. I guarantee there are plenty of 22 fret owners out there who would swap in a heartbeat.

rotorhead and PixMix like this.
  3. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I have to totally agree with donepeace....don't do it.

4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

It would certainly be possible to do.

But you would be so much better off (x100) buying what you want instead of undertaking this particular appearance driven plastic surgery.

realcooldude likes this.
  5. Colnago

Colnago Member

I've never done it or seen that done, but I think you should go for it. I mean, if the rest of the guitar is totally you and you have no issues with it, why not make it 100%?

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

And they say there are no dumb questions...
    No, and for a very good reason. It would be a crime to violate the guitar just because he doesn't use those two frets. I hardly ever use the high C on my Steinway upright grand but I'm not taking a Skil saw to it.
    BTW, he'd have about an even money chance of splintering the rosewood and screwing up the whole fret board.

rotorhead and Chuteboxehero like this.
  7. Colnago

Colnago Member

Ultimately, it's his guitar. He really likes it except for the last 2 frets.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. BUT you have to realize, around 1981 I tried to refinish my 66 non reverse Firebird which had been my main gigging guitar. I botched it (I was a dumb kid for the record), looked horrible....so I decided to cut it up into a very strange shape. The shape wasn't bad, but I cut too much, the guitar was super light and never played right again. At some point, I literally threw it away, pickups and all. Did I mention young and dumb? So it personally hurts me to see a guitar cut up in any way unless it's done professionally. It certainly is HIS guitar paid for with his MONEY and he can CERTAINLY do what he wants...BUT I just had to throw my 2 cents in based on my past experience. Learned my lesson the hard way, now I can do some things guitar related as I've gotten older and calmer, and learned how to use the right tools.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

He can tie a rope to it and pull it behind his Harley if he likes and that would be equally idiotic.

10. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Then don't use them. There, problem solved. Now can we get back to study of neck dive?

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I say go for it, post pictures when its done! :yesway:

Colnago likes this.
  13. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

On the grand scale of things; birth of kids, loss of loved ones, ups and downs in life, etc. two frets are nothing! But from the perspective of the neck pickup, it really sucks.

DrBGood and Colnago like this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Amen brutha :yesway:

PixMix likes this.