Repairing Peavey Classic VT 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Layne Matz, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Ive borrowed this from ana aqcuinatnce who asked me to try to repair it. Im by no means professional im just a successfully tinkerer. It turns on, the tubes glow, thwre is absolutely no sound. The grounding pin is missing as well. Ill get pics up soon. Ive been away from the house so I dont have pictures yet.

Any advice is much appreciated

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I'd be very, very careful tinkering with the innards of an amp if you don't know what you're doing. There's enough juice in the caps to kill you if a shock goes through your heart.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

I appreciate the warning! I dont know if ill be doing anything with it but I said I would take a look. He has never changed the tubes yet had it for years, they glow when you turn it on. When its on and I mess with the dials its sounds like there might be some static from the speakers but if so its barely noticabele and certainly not what it should be. No sound obviously.

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

Change the fuse and see what happens.

5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

FWIW... Yesterday a friend dropped off a 1980 Peavey Deuce 2x12 combo. The amp's original speakers are completely dead: My meter won't detect any impedance measurements, and absolutely no sound from either speaker. Double checked the speakers by plugging them into another amp... nothing!

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. Layne Matz

I'll take that advice, from both of you. Thanks!

Would it be safe for me to remove the old power cord and replace it with a new one that has a grounding pin? I got electrocuted real bad once becuase I plugged a mic into a non grounded amp(pin broken off by previous owner) into a non grounded extension cord. Had a similar problem with my guitar but only got zapped a little. Im horrified of improper grounding for these reasons. I felt like the car from back to the future after it comes out of time travel, I'm told that people can die that way.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

If you don't know what you're doing, it is most certainly unsafe and with possibly fatal results. Take it to a tech if this is the case. It's not an expensive job considering the peace of mind you're buying.

Layne Matz and Clifdawg like this.
  8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Probably a fuse.
    Keep one hand in your pocket.

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Member

I once worked on a very old piece of gear. It hadn't been plugged in for a very long time. As I removed an external bakelite connector, it shattered in my hand exposing the bare metal connectors. I was shocked badly. It left burns on my hand. Fortunately, as mentioned above, I had one hand behind my back and it grounded through my legs rather than across my chest. I was trained for repairs at the time.

Take it to a repair shop. I still have the scars on the web of my left hand....

fos1

Thumpalumpacus and Layne Matz like this.
  10. Layne Matz

Sound advice, its not mine and I have two tiny SS amps that are a little aweful but they are all I've had so far. I dont intend to do anything with this amp that I dont fully understand. I know this can get very dangerous, he is no hurry to get his amp back. Worst case scenario it sits inthe corner till he picks it up. Best case scenario i start reading about ampifiers and try some things slowly and carefully. I have most basic tools and then some. Ill definitely post any questions I might have. I can't afford anything but the essentials in life, certainly not a trip to the tech. The amps owner will have to make that decision, based on the way he has repaired other things he doesn't have much of a clue what he is doing when it comes to repairing anything.