Replacement bridge advice

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pulse., Jan 21, 2015.

1. pulse.

pulse. New Member

Hi there,
    I want to replace the stock bridge of my VOS SG with maesto,
    with a newer one that the saddles would be cut as they should be,
    and it won't buzz. I have never tried one with nylon saddles.
    Would that be a good idea?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Why would a new bridge be less likely to buzz than the one that is on there now? How are the saddles improperly cut? Have you located the specific cause/source of the buzz?
    ;>)/

3. pulse.

pulse. New Member

I'm new to ABR bridge, I was hoping that there's something like
    the mastery bridge for ABR bridges. The saddles were not cut in the middle
    on all the saddles and the string spacing isn't as it should be.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

A lot of the factory saddle screws are bent or loose, definitely recommend a new set of saddles and saddle screws for starters.
    It is very possible the saddles are too deep and don't follow the proper radius and are buzzing against the fretboard.
    I'd start with the new saddles and saddle screws

5. Biddlin

Without photos and more detailed information, I don't think we can make any real diagnosis, Kris.
    ;>)/

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Recheck your string spacing. Gibson bridge notches are hand cut on the guitar and rarely have the notches dead center of the saddle. If the spacing looks/feels even, it is.

P.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

before you spend anything replacing VOS parts that you paid extra to get,
    I would suggest you have your guitar set up by a pro luthier. If your guitar strings
    are buzzing on the frets, the luthier may be able to identify why.

Suspecting the bridge may be the wrong approach. There is a delicate balance between
    neck angle, nut slot depth, bridge height and radius, and the straightness of the neck as well as the height of the frets. Any or all of these things may be out of spec, and buzzing strings may be the result.

I recommend a pro setup job because a good luthier will have the proper tools to measure all these variables, and to make adjustments precisely enough to get your guitar playing right. After that, you can very likely keep it that way yourself.

I doubt that anything's wrong with your bridge, personally. I believe it's much more likely to be a proud fret, or a nut slot cut a bit too low... but there are all these variables to look at. One way to tell is simply to slacken your strings and turn one of the bridge height thumbwheels (the one on the side that's buzzing) maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, counterclockwise. An eighth of a turn will raise your bridge slightly and presto!
    no more buzz. ...sounds easy, doesn't it?

But I always recommend trying the easy and least expensive way first. If you actually need to replace bridge saddles, I'll recommend Tusq or String Saver saddles, you can get them from StewMac. It's an excellent upgrade.
    STEWMAC.COM - Search Results for tune o matic bridge saddles

One other thing that people who use whammy bars do is to install a roller bridge, this might be
    a good idea for you, and maybe not. But IMHO it's a job for a pro. Good luck.

Moose and WavMixer like this.
  8. pulse.

pulse. New Member

[​IMG]

The buzzing is notable only when it's unplugged, I don't know if you can see that the string spacing varies from string to string, I have made some changes to saddles so it's closer to what should have been from factory. When I got it it was like a joke. I think the buzzing comes from saddles screws.

9. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Look up Callaham ABR1 bridges.will cost you but they seem of nice quality.or Faber ABR1. Mojoaxe might even offer a ABR1. Probably the wire thing that holds the screws thats buzzing

10. Paul G.

Your string spacing is just fine. It is look better than 99% of guitars I've seen (and I've seen literally tons).

It needn't be that precise -- I mean what do you expect to do with the guitar? That being said yours is as close to perfect as I've ever seen.

Now, for the buzzing. Doubtful it's coming from the saddle screws. They are being held pretty tight by string tension. I recommend you take your fine instrument to a qualified tech and have it set up.

Or, just send that piece of junk to me. I'll dispose of it properly.

P.

bwotw likes this.
  11. JohnnyGoo

Oh by the way,ive seen alot worse saddle notches than yours.made a few blunders myself.its tricky.i have bought a couple PRE notched TonePros bridges that worked well.sometimes these offset string notches were cut off set to correct string alignment goof ups.good luck

12. Biddlin

No wire on this model, I think. Screws are a possibility, since you can't hear it through the amp.(That means it is occurring after the strings contact the saddles)
    Faber 59 abr1 style wireless bridge would be my choice for a replacement on this model.
    [​IMG]
    They usually run about $60-70 usd.
    http://www.byoguitar.com/Images/products/Faber/FABER-ABRH-NGN-59ABR-1WirelessBridgeMed.jpg
    ;>)/

AC 30 likes this.
  13. JohnnyGoo

I agree Biddlin with what you said about the string spacing.hell his looks great.ive seen some pretty bad ones.thats GOOD on his.Faber looks good stuff.

14. pulse.

pulse. New Member

My other problem is this
    [​IMG]

The tremolo arm hits the 3way toggle, and if it's on the bridge then hits the volume knob

15. Biddlin

Yeah, I didn't say it, but the spacing looks ok to me.
    The rattling thing is a pain in the butt, but only to the owner because no one else hears it (unplugged). I have one with the same issue.
    ;>)/

16. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

From what I see it looks like you really need to set your intonation. (the position of the saddles) This is provided you have the guitar tuned to pitch and standard EADGBE.
    Usually the low "E" is pretty far back on an ABR.
    This is my Main axe and it is set up with really nice intonation.
    Most SG's in standard tuning (with an unwound "G") will look like this at the saddles:
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes you need to flip a respective saddle to acheive proper intonation but the majority of SG's saddles will have this pattern or close to it when intonated to standard tuning.

One of those saddles on yours could be just close enough to the back of its' respective adjustment and rattling on the saddle slot back wall...hard to say with out guitar in hand. But you've got 3 saddles like that.

Set up is crucial. I agree of the after market the Faber is really nice but again it may just need a good set up. The string spacing to my eye is well within reason but there's usually room for improvement however subtle.

[​IMG] these RED marks are where I start on most Gibson 24.75 scale lengths. And adjust from there.
    I really hope you get this resolved so you can get back to the music. Let us know how it turns out.

17. pulse.

pulse. New Member

My intonation is spot on, no issues with it

18. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Really?..I'll take your word for it. I've just never seen that pattern on a Gibson in standard tuning.

But, just for fun, check your harmonic at the 19th fret and then fret the 19th for each string and see if any are sharp or flat.
    Just interested in your results.

I would also adjust each saddle just a little and see if the buzz or rattle goes away or lessens.

19. Paul G.

As far as the vibrola arm hitting, yes they do that. When in use, it clears everything. To put it away, swing it upwards. To deploy, swing it upwards. You could bend the arm, but this is the way they were.

You just paid a big chunk of change to get as close a reproduction of an old guitar as you possibly can. Well, you got it. If you commissioned an exact repro of a 1964 Mustang, you don't get to complain that the brakes are crap it steers like a pig and is kinda slow.

Now as far as your intonation, there is no way that guitar can possibly play in tune with the saddles like that. Not physically possible.

Please take your beautiful, expensive and fine guitar to someone who can set it up properly.

P.

20. Biddlin

I just pulled out my 06 Classic w/Gibson aged gold Maestro and it hits the 3 way, too. Never noticed it, before. Doesn't hit the knobs, though. The one on my Epiphone G400 Deluxe turns clearly.