Replacement tuning mechanisms for an Epiphone Standard SG!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by NoiseNinja, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:32 AM.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Actually I am perfectly fine with my Epiphone SG Special being a really cheap guitar, it's a pretty solid guitar, and with the right adjustments it both sounds and plays great.

Don't really have anything at all to complain about but one thing, the stock tuning mechanisms, which in my opinion are of exceptionally poor quality, just straight out horrible.

They cause the guitar not to be able to hold it's tuning very well and also makes it a chore to actually tune precisely in the first place.

Therefor I am looking to replace the stock tuning mechanisms, preferably with something not all too expensive, while still being a noticeable improvement over the stock ones (honestly I have a hard time imagine any tuners on the market actually being worse), and preferably with some that can be dropped right in without extra drilling or filing holes bigger.

So what are my options, what would you suggest?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 8:11 AM
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Musiclily-Chrome-3L3R-Roto-Sealed-Guitar-Machine-Head-Tuning-Peg-For-LP-SG-ES/202741195142?hash=item2f34512186:g:KhsAAOSwMOtdOBz2
    or
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Musiclily-...820900?hash=item2cb24b00e4:g:ZQkAAOSwmvBdFH6T

Those should fit right in. Screws in the back will not match the holes already there though.

And about stable tuning, it's almost never the tuners, but the nut.

What gauge string are you using ? If they are bigger than what the nut was cut for, they will bind in the slots, mess up your tuning and that's probably what makes it hard to tune precisely to start with. If they are gauge 9 or 10, you need to lubricate the nut slots with graphite from a sharpened pencil.

I say, before ordering new tuners, start by doing that, it might solve the problems you now have and save you a few pennies.

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

What makes it hard to tune is that there are big jumps when turning the tuning pegs of tight turning with little movements and jumps of very loose turning with big movement, I can feel it is the tuners and not the strings when I turn the tuning mechanisms, the tuning mechanism that holds the G string is especially bad at this, which makes especially the G string bad at holding it's tuning.

The nut and strings (.046 - .010) are fine, the tuning mechanisms however are horrid, as I said, very flimsy and unstable.

Thanks for your suggestion though.