Replacing stock pickups..not for me

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by nico1975, Nov 13, 2018.

1. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

Hi guys, a couple of months ago while removing the covers from my SG std pickups I hopelessly damaged my 498T :(No way to fix it so I decided to try a SD JB coming from my Jackson RR5.

What a delusion! The tone with the 498T was a real SG tone, punchy and a bit acid but still round and rich tone and perfectly recognizable. Now my SG sounds almost like my RR5 :)

I came to a conclusion, I am not one of those swapping stock pu's lookjng for some thing different, those guitars have been equipped with those pu's for a reason...I mean if you want an SG playing like an SG :D

To each his own, anyway :thumb:

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I think pickups are the biggest contributor to the sound of a guitar. Swapping pickups will undoubtedly change the tone, sometimes drastically. This can be useful, but can also go terribly wrong. At least it's a mistake that's easy to fix.

Ray, nico1975 and littlerockdevil like this.
  3. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Member

It all depends on the sound and feel you are looking for. On my SG Special, I love the playability and the look of the SG but I wanted a more aggressive tone for hard rock / stoner rock stuff so I went with Dimarzio Super Distortion / PAF. For me it is the best of both worlds.

Ray likes this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

57’s and Super Distortions.

Those are the only two Humbuckers that need to exist in my book.

I do have some others, ^^^but thems the best^^^

nico1975 likes this.
  5. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

Hey Dave did you put the Di marzio SD in neck position and the PAF (Di Marzio PAF Pro?) at the bridge?
    I heard good things about this set on an SG, and I have those pu's in other guitars :naughty:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    DaveInSoCal likes this.
  6. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Send your 498 to a winder. They'll rewind it to the same specs. No need to go without.

7. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

A luthier told me that the repair is not worth it..the risk was to spend about 40-50 euros, when for the same price I can find a second hand 498. I hope the next one will sound the same...what do you think about it? Non boutique pu's should sound all the same?

Anyway I opened it and I went crazy trying to find the damaged winding, all that tape and wax...needless to says that I ***** up everything :facepalm:

8. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Member

Hey Nico, actually I put the SD in the bridge and the PAF in the neck. It's a nice combo. Another really nice set I installed in my Epi SG Pro is a Dimarzio Crunch Lab in the neck and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the bridge, very nice hard rock set!

9. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

You never know the way everybody believes in mojo gremlins. You might have let yours escape when you unwound the bobbin.

...speaking of, save the bobbins, magnets, baseplate, etc. You might be able to find a winder willing to do it.