Requesting your lovely input - Practice AMP

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Gillean, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Paully

Paully Active Member

Check it out.
    Clean H-rm for days. Easily achieves break up and distortion at a very bedroom friendly volume.

Had 1 for over a yr. Sounds great out of box, even better when speaker breaks in.

grausch likes this.
  2. sazista

sazista Active Member

Zappa used a Pignose on many recordings and live.

rotorhead likes this.
  3. sazista

sazista Active Member

I vouch for the Mustang III v2. It goes way low and way loud. Headphone capabilities and tons of options. Ignore the presets and make your own.

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'd say get a good attenuator.

Over the years I've had too many "practice" amps to count and I currently have a Katana 50. It's cool and all, and I geeked out a bit on it when I first got it, but I have not played it in a couple of months. The sounds it makes just can't compete with my Mesas even at very low volumes. And when I need to get them super-quiet I use an attenuator.

If you love the sound of your Orange don't compromise for volume. Nope, the Mesas don't sound as good at low volume as they do cranked, but they do sound better than any modeling or practice amp does.

rotorhead likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Why not use your OR15 with some pedals to get good low volume play? My main amps are 50 watts and I use OD pedals to get excellent bedroom volume tone. I'm just not seeing your problem, sounds more like an itch to spend some money on something new which is ok, just gotta acknowledge that's what it is. Unless you truly need a headphone amp for silent play, then I recommend Amplitube Irig to load on your phone or tablet.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but another solution for silent play is get one of the original Marshall MG series amps and use headphones, I did this for years when I couldn't sleep I'd play guitar at 3am through my MG and sounded really good.

7. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

I can explain myself on that. I work Bucharest X Barcelona and I am always traveling around romania too so I want an amp that I can take everywhere with me.

also, I sincerely dislike the sound of a 12inch speaker (which I use woth the OR15) at lower volumes. If the speaker is not moving I much prefer the tone of my BiasFX/BiasAmp through my monitors.

8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Coming out of the woodwork to plug the Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2. I use it almost exclusively now that I have a new baby in the house. The two 3" speakers sound really full at conversation volumes, not thin like my 12" Bandit. The headphone jack also sounds good with my cheap studio monitor headphones. It's super easy to get a good sound - set the model, adjust gain and volume, and set the tone. You have a suite of effects too, although I really usually just set a touch of reverb and delay and forget about the rest. It's also cheaper than a decent overdrive pedal and doubles as a recording interface and decent stereo for music playback.

You won't convince anyone you're playing an Orange stack, but I doubt you'll find much to complain about, either. :smile:

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I just use a cheapo danelectro for bedside practice.

and a bastidge 2x12 Blues Jr. for everything else. It rattles the windows on 1.5

10. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

About 6 months ago, I bought the Yamaha THR10, and I'm still pretty happy with it.
    Pros:
    Very portable due it's small size.
    Simplicity of the amps controls.
    Amp can also operate on batteries.
    Very full sounding at low volumes.
    Lots of useful options when connected to a computer.

Cons:
    Somewhat expensive.
    Don't like the noise gate. Fortunately it can be adjusted or turned off.
    Not digging the factory presets. This can be changed, too.