Rescued from the tip. What can you tell me about this one?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Molly, May 3, 2019.

1. Molly

Molly Active Member

Bloke at work showed me this SG earlier in the week. His mate picked it up at the recycling centre. Sent a mate a few pics and he confirmed it’s a Norlin-era SG. Pots date to late ’72 so guessing it’s a ’73 maybe. One-piece body and nice neck but the wiring and other bits have really been messed with over the years. Neck pickup is original I think. DiMarzio in the bridge and some home-made single-coil added which has required routing. Also looks to have had a different bridge and maybe a Bigsby at some point.

Anyway, I just liked it. Looks to have had a bit of a story. It’ll never be worth anything but it’s light and once I get the wiring sorted it’ll be groovy.

I’ve had a tetanus jab so am safe to start the clean-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Edit your message and insert the image URL with the little landscape button right by the smiley.

Like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

Molly likes this.
  3. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

(images deleted)

Molly likes this.
  4. Molly

Molly Active Member

Thanks for fixing that for me. I'll endeavor to do it on the OP.

PixMix likes this.
  5. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

I would be getting your personal professor of faith to exorcise that sucker before opening anything. Can never be too careful with this sort of thing...

Robus and Biddlin like this.
  6. Molly

Molly Active Member

LOL. Yes. It's certainly got, erm, 'character'. :-)

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Good character or bad character?
    Well, maybe there's a real player under there....Personally I'd,..... nah your axe your call...

8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

It doesn't look too bad from this angle.

Still, for free something interesting to play around with.

arcticsg likes this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Good rescue guitar! Here's hoping you can return it to glory.

MrM likes this.
  10. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

That's a nutty pickup configuration, I wonder how it even works with the traditional three way switch. I guess they put on a custom pickguard on and it covers all the way to the switch so I'm wondering if they actually routed a channel to the switch in order to wire up that middle pickup? It's weird but the body and neck look to be in good shape and if you've got that the rest is just a matter of preference and some work. I'd say you struck gold in finding that one, nobody you run into is likely have one like it! Now make it your own!

EDIT: oops, just noticed the little toggle switch. The wiring must be pretty interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing inside the electronics cavity.

11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

That a great find!

I would get it cleaned up repaired and playable as it is.

You won’t find another like it.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  12. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Cool find!

A rescued guitar is always priceless. Who cares about a dollar amount? :thumb:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

What I can see of the neck joint suggests mid-1966 to very early 1969. Can you provide a better picture? The headstock appears to have been replaced entirely.

bwotw likes this.
  14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Sorry to sound snarky but this seems like a fake.
    Or if not a fake, a totally butchered guitar.

Three screw TRC=Fake
    Headstock shape=Fake
    Wonky pick guard was never designed or made by Gibson.
    Weird pickup inserted between the hum buckers... dumb...
    Routing out a thin mahogany body simply weakens it...
    Original bridge and tail removed, wrap over bridge by gawd knows who
    installed, plugs in the guitar top where the tailpiece might have been...

This thing is a mess. Getting it free seems about right, giving it a Viking Funeral
    seems better. The trash compactor is where it belongs.

The worst thing that could happen with this POS is that someone might
    be tempted to represent it as a real Gibson, and sell it to an unsuspecting person
    who thought they were getting a cool "vintage" Gibson for an "unbelievable price"

That would be a criminal act, on the part of the seller. The legal name for it is Fraud.
    The real name is heartbreak... a monstrosity like this could be sold to the loving
    girlfriend of an up and coming new guitarist... she wants to support his music
    and finds a great deal on a true 'vintage' Gibson... She buys it from the shady
    seller, out of the trunk of his car on a moonless night. He disappears, she gives
    her true love the guitar she bought for him, and...

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Daniel.S likes this.
  15. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

This. Fretboard looks exactly like my old '69 Special. And I don't think they made bound boards with dots in the mid-70s SGs, right?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  16. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Here's the problem, everything except the headstock says '69 or '70 SG Special. The neck joint, the carve, the patched holes for the maestro all add up. The pots could have been changed when the P90's were removed, new pickguard with the new pickups. Need to see the back of the headstock, and under the pickguard, but it's a real puzzle.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  17. Robus

Robus Active Member

...and the rest is rock and roll history.

Sounds like a cool story actually.

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Well, it's a find I guess....
    I'd wipe it down and try to set it up. I wouldn't spend any dough on it, though.
    I certainly wouldn't look.
    My thoughts, too. I'd like a look under the TRC just in case some industrious gremlin didn't have the correct TRC and decided to put that one on, but honestly, I'd any restoration to someone who has the skill, time and inclination/inspiration to do a lot of work.
    Evidence of more monkey business. Actually the "patched" holes are for a stopbar. The three tiny open holes once held a short vibrola.
    DSCN1279.JPG
    What may once have been a "Gibson SG" is now a white elephant, imho.

19. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I'm not a horns or bevels purist, but just as an observation, I find it odd that from looking at the top of the guitar, the carve on the horns are typical of early 60's style, yet the backside of the guitar has a late 60's control cavity shape.

Factory headstock logos that are either silkscreened or waterslide decals are usually smooth underneath the clear with no raised edges. This one does not appear to be done at the factory.

In addition, by 1970 the headstock logotype was changed to block style and had a closed "b" and "o", where this one clearly does not.

--------

A TRC with three screws on a genuine Gibson LP or SG is usually a red flag for a possible fake unless someone swapped out the TRC and prefers said style of TRC.

A TRC with three screws on a Flying V has been the norm for decades, yet for some reason on the "Flying V History" model that was released a few years ago, a smaller TRC was used with only two screws instead of three which makes it look like a fake even though that's how they are shipped from the factory.

Pictured below

Left: Flying V History
    Right: '67 Reissue

[​IMG]

Back to the SG, I would just clean it up and give it a proper setup and play it for what it is. As far as its perceived worth is concerned, if it makes you happy when you play it, then it is priceless.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Thumpalumpacus and flognoth like this.
  20. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yep, the fretboard rules out anything past 1971.

The beveling is not out of line for a '66-68 model. It didn't start getting really shallow until '69.

Here's a 1967:

[​IMG]

The original logo for a Special should be a MOP inlay. That, the TRC and the whole shape being off suggests the HS was broken off and just rebuilt from scratch.

I've seen people restore much worse guitars, but he'd have to be willing to spend a decent amount of money. With the current vintage bubble, it could be worth it if it doesn't burst first!

cerebral gasket likes this.