Rescued from the tip. What can you tell me about this one?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Molly, May 3, 2019.

1. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

If the neck is decent and fretwire is salvageable I would go for it. Personally I would drop the middle pickup, drop an original pickguard on it and wire as a traditional SG. Then, if needed mess with the bridge. I like wrap arounds though so it would ntp be a big issue for me. It would we the war house, character enhanced, player.

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

How much do you want for it?

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The homemade guard in the OP photo where the edge of the guard follows the horns very closely was probably throwing me off a bit.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Definitely, it threw me off too.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

I'd just determine what's good and solid on this guitar, strip off everything else and do a full customization as to your own preferences in an SG guitar. There's no resale value to worry about, so just make sure it's professionally redone. This would be the ultimate restoration build, and that bound fretboard is its trump card. The body looks good.
    A pro luthier could really turn this thing around. Like a T-boned 1969 Camaro base model, just strip it down to the good and start again. You will be very proud of yourself. I wish this were my SG. I love rags-to-riches builds and you may have a real treasure once it's done.

Sp8ctre and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  6. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

**** yeah yeet that **** over to the USA when your done with it too

7. Molly

Molly Active Member

Thank you for all the replies. No Viking funeral for this one. Despite appearances it's great to play and I'm really enjoying it. I'll decide upon the pickups, put a fresh loom in there and turn it into a working guitar. For the life of me I can't explain why the headstock doesn't stack-up with the rest but some sort of repair in the distant past would make sense. Anyway, I agree with those of you who said 'just make it your own and enjoy it'. That's what I intend to do.

8. Molly

Molly Active Member

Just a quick update on this beat-up old SG. Replaced / cleaned the wiring / switches etc. Fitted an aftermarket pickguard and just gave it a bit of a tidy. Down the line I'd like to set-in a piece of wood to fill the large void created by all the modifications then re-rout the pickup holes (just in the hope it'll take some of the hinge / built-in Floyd Rose out of it). Sounds and plays great though.

[​IMG]

Closer inspection revealed some evidence of a headstock repair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice job!
    Looks great.

10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Eh Eh ! ... COOL SG !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Amazing how a cleaning and a new batwing with just the normal two humbuckers take it from "WTF is that?" to "sweet old SG!" I am still curious what that extra mini toggle switch does / did though.

12. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

It looks good! Nice rescue dang!!!

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Good job of cleaning it up. Glad it's a player.

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

True warrior !

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes'n I'll take back my snarky remarks if you've been able to set the instrument
    up properly.

I confess that I like the looks of it a lot better with the regular pick guard and
    a regular pair of hum buckers.

If you like the instrument, I'd suggest taking it to the best luthier you can find or
    afford, and consulting with him about putting some wood back into the body
    rout. There is a lot of stress on a guitar neck and body, and a block of maple
    that fits well and is glued in tight might strengthen things and be worth it.

I'd also see about replacing the Truss Rod Cover with a genuine Gibson two screw
    part. You might need to add some wood there as well. While you're in there, check
    the truss rod nut. If it's a real Gibson, the nut will be a 5/16" six sided hex.
    If it's anything else, it's fake. It's good to check the truss rod nut on any used
    guitar, just to see if it works.

Best wishes with this project. It looks much better already.

16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the routing may look like, but I don't think setting in a new piece of wood and re-routing would have the effect you're looking for. SGs just tend to have delicate necks, and the only way to change that is by altering the neck or how it is set into the body. How much wood is in the body isn't really a factor in that. In fact, a 1967 SG would have come from the factory with a "swimming pool" route anyway:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    plankton and cerebral gasket like this.