Rickenbacker 325v59

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Absynthe, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

I bought it online from Guitar Center so I don't have it yet but here is a picture of 325v59 I bought and on the right is a 325v63
    That I owned about 7 years ago.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Used to have a 325c58 a 325c64 and a 320 too.Always regretted selling them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I feel like playing "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand"; nice Ricks.
    When is the 12 string arriving? :naughty:

3. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Haha,I used to 2 of those a 330 and a 360

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But really the 325 is my favorite Rickenbacker I wanted one like this since I bought a copy of "Something New,Something New" at EJ Korvettes in '64 ($2.98 for Mono). It wasn't until I saw this album cover that I found out that John had a second "3/4" Rickenbacker with a gold pickguard.It was sort of a revelation when I saw it.We didn't have a color TV and I think Ed Sullivan was still in Black and White anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Got the 325v59 today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Very Nice, Absynthe...I used to gig with a 1964 Ric 325, in the late 70s (when 325s were chronically unfashionable). It was my main guitar, and I loved it...

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Active Member

Absynthe, since you've owned a 325 in the past you know what to expect. I owned 2 in the past, a 325v59 in natural and a 1996 (not year) model which is Rose Morris re-issue of the 325 with the F hole in Fireglo. I have rather small hands and can negotiate around a regular Ric 's neck just fine, but that 3/4 scale reminds me of a oversize mandolin. I got rid of both because just too much money for me to have in what I consider a niche instrument. :p

7. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I got Gits that jingle jangle jingle, as we go ridin merrilly along....

8. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Thanks guys. I agree with what skeeterbuck said but yet,I still need to own one.

[​IMG]

Maybe it is because I have wanted a guitar like this since I was in the 5th grade. I'll never forget watching this story on the CBS evening news.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeolhjIWPYs"]"Beatlemania"[/ame]

A bit of info about this clip is included below:

"this originally aired Friday morning, November 22, on the CBS Morning News. It was going to re-air that evening, but, of course, JFK's assassination prevented that, so it was shelved until December 10, when Walter Cronkite decided that such a story would raise the nation's spirits."

2 months later the Beatles made their 1st Ed Sullivan appearance and the world changed forever!

I missed the first Sullivan show but when I went to school the next day all my friends were talking about Beetles and Ringo. The girls were talking about who was cuter? "Paul!"and the boys were talking about who was cooler ? "John!" Who had the highest heals on their Beetle Boots."Ringo!"

Dang!I didn't even get to see them until their next appearance on Sullivan but by that time I new everything about them including what guitars they played. That is when I decided I wanted a "3/4 Rickenbacker" like John's. That is how his guitar was described back then. I never heard the model name 325 until around 2004.

9. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

It always happens.

I go off to Youtube to find a vid with George and his Ric, and end
    up watching a ton of their songs.

As someone who was a Beatle "clone" and fan club member in the early days, I wonder
    why I'm still surprised by just how good they were.

Of course I forgot what vid I was looking for.

10. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

Very nice! I've always wanted a Ric and the 325 would be my first pick. I used to have a huge poster of The Beatles when I was a kid and I always thought that John had the coolest looking guitar. I haven't even played one but now that I see it next to your other guitars, I am shocked at how short the scale is. Do you have trouble finding your way around the fretboard when you switch from a Tele to the 325?

11. Strange Brew

Kevy : not only is there the short scale (21 inches) to cope with, but also the usual Rickenbacker "feature" of narrow width of the fretboard - about 41.5mm at the nut and 49mm at the 12th fret...and something like a 7.5" radius fretboard!
    I don't have my 320/325s any more, and so am relying on memory. All I can tell you is that when I had my little Rickenbacker repaired, I switched to a Fender Strat, which made the 325 feel like a banjo!

Btw - if you like the 320/325 body shape, but not the short scale, you could always try a model 350...all the "Lennon" looks, but with full scale neck (24.75") and flatter fretboard (10" radius) I had a 350 Liverpool, for a while, and really liked it. I only sold it to make way for the 350 Susanna Hoffs (model 350SH) which I still own.

12. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Those are cool! I have owned a couple of them in the past. One was this Jetglo 350v63 21 fret model

[​IMG]

the other was this white 350 Liverpool 24 fret model. I like the 24 fret model better because the pickups are mounted closer together like a 325.

Also,you can mount a Bigsby on the 24 fret model but you can't on the 21 fret v63.

[​IMG]

Susanna Hoffs has one like this too

[​IMG]

Rickenbacker made a 350v59 but they only made this one below.It is the only full scale model to leave the factory with a Bigsby!

[​IMG]

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Are the necks as narrow as I remember ?- I only played Rick guitars a few times in my past.

14. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Yes,the fretboard on the 325v59 is 1.625" at the nut. most of the other Ricks are 1.65".

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

No wonder they all felt weird...now, the 4001/3 bass, that's the Rick for me!

16. Strange Brew

now you're talking....

my '79 4001 in AzureGlo
    [​IMG]

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Beautiful...but I want a Mapleglo bass.
    Hard to believe that model bass was designed in the 50's.

18. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Awesome! It's just like Haruhara Haruko's Bass in FLCL.

Ride on shooting star!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  19. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

nothing to add but I love the look of those old rics. One of the guitars I've never owned but sure would like to if i ever come across a good deal on one.