Rickenbackers...The Anti-SGs?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NMA, Mar 7, 2020.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I love my Rickenbackers! Gorgeous guitars that are bright as the sun (and jangly as whatever else is jangly).

[​IMG]

I do see not any love for Rickenbackers here at this site. Rics really are polar opposites of SGs. Rics are bright and cherry little fellows, the SG is the Devil's own. Tone wise Rics can't do what SGs do and SGs can't do what Rics do. Yes, Rickenbackers are the anti-SG.

That's why we all need an SG and a Rickenbacker in our collection.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

If rickenbacker made guitar necks that actually fit human hands and didn’t dip them in poly I’d own a couple.

But as it is I can only like them from a great distance.

I bought a 660/12 wide nut new...best thing I ever did with a guitar was to sell it.

Logan likes this.
  3. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Beautiful family you have there! good model variety too. I think there's plenty of Ric love here (count me in), and I like your GAS way of thinking!

4. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

here is a pic I took of Tom Petty's 330, at the RnR HOF in summer of '18. (That's me in the reflection, not Petty's ghost ...)

IMG_0680.JPG

5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I'm not tat much into Tom Petty, so I don't know his guitars. I do know the Rickenbacker on the cover of the "Damn The Torpedoes" album, but I never saw the one you pictured above. Looks very odd without the iconic cat's eye soundhole. Definitely a unique Ric.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Why anti-SG ? Gibson SG and Ricken are really different guitars.

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yes, they are very different guitars, that's why anti...opposed, opposite.

Rics can do what Fenders can do, can even do some Gretsch work (the "Ticket To Ride" lick is played by George on both a Ric (in studio) and a Gretsch (in concert)). But a Ric can't do what an SG does. It is the anti-SG.

8. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier New Member

Love the 620. But recently I came across a very expensive Rick bass which was very very bad. The fretboard was horrible. There were a lot of high "not cured" frets.

9. papagayo

They can' t be anti, they don' t sound the same.

I think you mean '' complementary ''

10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

No, not complimentary at all in that how often have you seen a band that sports Rickenbackers and SGs? It's oil and water.

The only bands I can think of that utilized both Rics and SGs are The Beatles and Pearl Jam. But The Beatles really don't count because they transitioned away from Rics and moved into the SG and Les Paul sound. A Ric guitar and SG was never used simultaneously by the Fab Four, thus the two guitars are not complimentary...more anti- each other. Bands don't use them to compliment each other. Perhaps they should.

11. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The (checkerboard) binding seems to be another unique quality of this Ric. Perhaps Mr. Hall did TP a solid with some “custom” options...:hmm:

12. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Yes. They're silly.

13. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

yes since NMA pointed out the lack of the sound hole which I hadn't really thought about, this really has me wondering. I went to a complete Ric model website, along with a Petty gear list and a Townshend gear list, and nothing appears for this particular combination of features. I'm kicking myself that I didn't also take a pic of the display info and whatever it may have said, but my recollection is it didn't say much for details. Now I have an urge to do some sleuthing whether contacting the RnR HOF or even Campbell if possible, as those two guys had large collections each and quite a history of sharing guitars except for certain ones each that were "off-limits'.

14. papagayo

Ok, if you want ...

15. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

NMA, good call, you were spot-on in this guitar being unique. I did contact the Rock Hall, and Amy Pecsenye, the curator there, kindly got back to me with this info: she doesn't have a record of a model number (if there is one), but said it is a 1989 Rickenbacker Custom, custom-made for Tom Petty, and is visible on the cover of his Full Moon Fever album. Looking at the cover picture, it is photo-treated to a degree but you can see that there's no sound hole.

16. JackStraw

JackStraw New Member

I agre . I love Ric's & my next serious money guitar will be a Rickenbacker

17. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

I like the look but everyone I played @ GC was terrible of course it was GC. No my next guitars will be an SG Standard in ebony (hopefully from the mid 90's) and one of the new PRS S2 McCarty models in Cherry Sunburst tyvm.

18. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

Great guitars,I used to have some.

[​IMG]

RhinestoneStrat, SG John and NMA like this.
  19. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I like mine. They are quite a bit of fun to play. Not just for jangle, as you can get some wild sounds out of them with a cranked Marshall or Hiwatt.

IMG_1048.JPG

330_3.JPG

20. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

Rick330man has a strong opinion on this: the question is too vague.

Question #1: which Rickenbacker are you talking about? They do not all sound the same. A Rickenbacker 330 (my personal favorite) and 620 are both excellent guitars, but they are very different animals.

Question #2: are you comparing a Rickenbacker with the high output single coils (like the 330) or one with the "toaster" pickups (like the 325)?

Question #3: are you talking jangly 12 string (think 360)?

I own a Rickenbacker 330 and a 325, but I own more SGs than any other model guitar: a 1979 SG Standard, two of the late 90's three mini-humbucker SG Deluxes; a late 90's cherry wine finish SG Special with stock Gibson 490R/T pickups and a plum purple late 90's SG Special with Gibson P94R/T pickups. I also have a Korina finish Epiphone G400 with Harmonic Design Z90s, a natural finish DeArmond S73 and a cherry finish DeArmond S73. So SGs and/or SG style guitars dominate my guitar arsenal.

The right SG or the right Rickenbacker for your particular job plays second fiddle to no other instrument out there.