Rickenbackers...The Anti-SGs?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NMA, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

That looks like a Rickenbacker 1997 - not a 330.

2. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Rick, see my last post on the previous page ... RnR HOF confirmed it as a custom made model for Petty. Note the lack of a sound hole, which the 1997 has.

Rick330man likes this.
  3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Technically, it could also be a 360, as those had the shape of a 330 before they had the lower horn neutered and rounded over. But, I digress.

It was custom made for Tom Petty, but I can’t have them make a 365 for me :ohno:

4. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

Very interesting. I learned something here.

Thanks.

5. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

I used to have this 365 I bought from Mitch Easter

[​IMG]

RhinestoneStrat, Logan, NMA and 2 others like this.
  6. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Couldn’t you just install a vibrato on a 360, making your own 365...? :hmm:

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Wow, you got me beat. I merely bought a blue 330 because I saw Mitch Easter play one.

[​IMG]

Absynthe and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I could, but their warranty is so screwy that I wouldn’t do it because of that. I’m sorry, I didn’t know that I had to use Rickenbacker strings, much less install a vibrato system on it.

If you can’t tell, I’m a fan of the guitars, but not a fan of the company. I work at a Rickenbacker dealer, so I’ve played a lot of them. 2 years to order, no custom options like you could get with Gibson or Fender, and you get guitars shipped with defective parts (I will admit, they fixed the tail lift on the 4003 and made the bridges high-mass without changing the aesthetic), but I haven’t heard anything about the exploding R. With that being said, I’ll own one someday, but it’s going to probably be a vintage one.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yeah, you never hear anything about the fixes, but you no doubt have heard the exploding R tailpiece stories we all seem to eventually experience.

I have better than a story. I have a picture. This happened November 2019. Imagine opening your case for a little nighttime strum on your 12 string and you see this:

[​IMG]

Logan likes this.
  10. richey88

richey88 Member

^^ Ouch. Has a 330 -012 but was not using enough to justify the cost. 4003 bassist back in the day and a colleague has the best playing and sounding 360 (6) I have ever come across. Great photos here! So cool!

11. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

I hear ya on that richey, I too had a Ric 12 that was great for a few bands I was in (classic rock; all-Beatles) but when they ended, it just wasn't a guitar that I would take out and play much at home. It was an incredibly beautiful guitar, the 360/12 V64, like George Harrison's first, and now wish I still had it, but some other piece of gear came along that I had to have (can't even remember what now! - maybe my '67 Vibrolux Reverb) and so out went the Ric. It did reappear about a year later at friend's guitar store, but I held off and who knows where it is now.

12. Jujuuk68

Jujuuk68 New Member

Evryone should own a Ric for something different. 23213475_10155881591514553_1190103544716509215_o.jpg

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Bingo. That's the key.

Guitar purchases should be made according to difference. The four basic food groups of electric guitars should be covered:
    - a 12 string guitar
    - a humbucker guitar
    - a single coil guitar
    - a big hollow body guitar

That was my intention when I bought these four below. On these four I literally can play every single electric guitar song ever recorded. It took me years to get these four guitars and it took me years to play every single electric guitar song ever recorded, but I have done it. (I admit, the songs by The Smiths and Yes and Malmsteen were tough, but with the right tools below I nailed them all perfectly)

[​IMG]

Jujuuk68 likes this.
  14. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Wait .... what?? Either I misunderstand, or you miss-typed ... or you're practicing April Fool's Day 3 days late?

15. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

ps, that is a hell of a beautiful collection you have there tho!

NMA likes this.
  16. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yes, I played every single song ever recorded. Not hard to do. I started with ABBA and worked my way to Warren Zevon. I admit I slowed down when I got to Steve Vai's intricate work, but I gained speed when I did all The Ramones songs.

Total was about seven and a half million songs. It was raining one weekend, nothing good on TV, so I took out my four guitars and played all seven and a half million. I did it in about twenty hours, not including the hour break I had to take in order to go to a music store and buy one of those mouth things to play Frampton and Bon Jovi songs.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  17. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Wow that's about 1,042 songs per second, very impressive speed chops you have there!

NMA likes this.
  18. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I admit I didn't play any Pink Floyd songs. Their song "Dogs" is 17 minutes long! I would never have been able to finish in one weekend if I played the Floyd songs from "Animals."

19. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Well at least you got Close To The Edge and Innagadadavida in there

20. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was gonna do that too one day but then I realized I'd have to play House of the rising sun and I will always love you so I figured I'd rather keep my sanity and skipped the whole idea.

NMA likes this.