Russian tubes and sanctions?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Tobacco Worm, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Now first of all I've heard nothing about the halting of tube importations OK? However, in the mess that's going on and the ever increasing sanctions being imposed upon Russia, one has to wonder how this will effect the tubes from that country.
    With the tubes from China being of questionable quality and those from Russia proving to be far better, what will the amp industry do when, or if, the good tubes begin to become scare? There are sanctions in effect regarding technological products from both ends of the world and surely the tubes will fall prey to the sanctions too I fear. If things are not resolved soon those sanctions will expand sure as there's carts to horses.
    In the ammunition industry, about 20% is imported from Russia in some calibers, and that market HAS felt the impact already. Components for manufacturing ammo has been limited for importation as well.

Something to ponder anyway. :hmm:

And I know a few folks are bound to respond with stuff about how THEY have NOS tubes and are not worried, but are they gonna share their horded treasures with the world? Yeah right.....

LeadFinger, SGspecial and Alex_SG like this.
  2. Melmord Fjordslorn

Melmord Fjordslorn Active Member

It's definitely something to think about. I'd hate to see the Sovteks dry up and raise in price.

3. SGspecial

SGspecial Well-Known Member

I've already stocked up. You've made a valid point about the sanctions. But sanctions aside we need to keep in mind there are only three tube manufacturers left in the entire world. One in Russia, one in China, & one in Slovakia. Sixty years ago there were four tube factories within 100 miles of where I live now. It wouldn't take much to change the availability and price of tubes in the present day.

SG standard and Alex_SG like this.
  4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

This is a good argument for a good SS amplifier being used
    as a clean platform and getting "your sound" from pedals.

Col Mustard, gball and Alex_SG like this.
  5. Tobacco Worm

Well all I'm saying is that if they "tighten the world trade belt" on mother Russia those tubes are likely candidates for trade blockade. If they are eventually involved in such an occurrence then the scalpers will buy up as many as they can and then offer them at exorbitantly high inflated prices like on Fleabay and such. When other sources dry up then the scalpers will rake in the cash and the musicians will have to foot the bill.... And again, IF, and I hope it doesn't, this happens the lower quality tubes will increase in price out of demand and sympathetic inflated cost from the "tube crisis" and the lowly Chinese tubes will go way up in price as a result.

Again, I hope this never happens, but I observe and study trends and patterns. Used to be criminal activity, but now I simply see these patters and tends in a more expanded spectrum due to having I suppose far too much time on my hands. Just for fun I've watched the gold market for the past couple of years and have worked out a fairly accurate trend chart for that market that is close to 70% of being correct on a daily basis by just a point or two (baring any critical disaster) . Too bad I have no money to invest in this stuff huh? :dunno:

Alex_SG likes this.
  6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I wonder if it will lead to a greater acceptance of solid-state amps.

Don't get me wrong...I love those little glowing tubes of tone, but if sanctions are severe and long enough, the price of tube amps may result in people leaning more toward their transistorized cousins.

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Might I suggest a Fender Mustang variety amp? AWESOME! ---and dirt cheap...... like me, er wait, crap. :(

unklcrispy likes this.
  8. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I like Chinese tubes! I like the EH Russian tubes very much as well! The way I see it, if there is a demand, we'll start making them domestically again. I'm in the USA. Right now is a messed up time with all the stuff going down with the Russians, Gaza, etc. I really wish the best for all of us across the entire globe.

Col Mustard and smitty_p like this.
  9. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Part of the reason I'm keeping the little Marshall S/S amp is now down to the possibility of tubes becoming rare.. I have a couple of spares of each that I require (Thanks, Wade!), but if it came down to it, at least I can still play with the Marshall...

10. SGspecial

SGspecial Well-Known Member

The day I have to use a SS amp will be the day I quit playing guitar. Just my opinion.

11. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Have no fear, gents. Slovakia is our friend! Also, I don't see an embargo of Chinese goods anytime in the near future. Now, have a beer, a shmoke, and a pancake, and enjoy your valves...

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That's good about Slovakia, but general consensus is that the Chinese tubes are inferior to the Russian tubes.

13. CATMANDUE

My understanding on Chinese tubes is that they sound good but, they don't last as long. I do have some still working just dandy in my Pro Junior from 1994 which are OEM. I did run all CP Mullards in it for a while however.

14. Tobacco Worm

Was in my favorite pawn shop earlier today snagging a few boxes of .22LR rounds and was chatting with the guys. Due to the sanctions on Russian made gear, the ammo made in Russia has all been sanctioned and the importation of any and all Russian firearms have ceased. We spoke about the tube issue and they share my fears on this being an issue quite soon.
    The sad part is that even if there's a delay in any actual shortage, the panic that this creates causes these items to skyrocket in price. The cost of Russian ammo has greatly increased and the cost of an AK type semi-auto rifle has gone through the roof!

Catmandue wrote earlier:
    "Right now is a messed up time with all the stuff going down with the Russians, Gaza, etc. I really wish the best for all of us across the entire globe."

Catmandue's comment reflects a genuine humanitarian belief and hope. It goes without saying that he is a man that has a good foundation of proper morals and beliefs. If the rest felt as he does then things would be far better.

I believe that right now the count of armed conflicts across the planet stands at 57 by the last bit of news I've received. This is not an encouraging number.

Col Mustard and Alex_SG like this.
  15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I've already been using JJ's in all my amps for the last 5 years or so as any older ones that I have had died off. Never liked the tone of the Russian ones and the Chinese seem unreliable. SO, I will keep on using the Slovakian tubes for the foreseeable future but I have already been looking at some of the solid state amps out there (pure analog ones, not modelers) and I think they are going to become a viable option for me in the near future. I am especially liking the Orange Crush Pro series - they sound virtually identical to the tube powered versions. Quilter makes are killer SS amp as well.

16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

To me it sounds like an opportunity for an 'entrepreneur' to transform an
    abandoned 'big box' store into a small factory where they manufacture things
    that people need. Hire a few people and start making tubes for the music
    industry. Where there is a demand, there usually will arise a supply. (excluding
    hoarders etc).

If that little plant was able to make money and create a few jobs, maybe someone will start making .22 ammunition again the same way. I too was recently able to buy 780 rounds by going to two different stores. I went in the first one on a hunch, and it paid off. I went in the second place thinking "if the ammo truck was in town today, maybe it went over here too..." ...sure enough.

At the second store, only one of the employees knew they had some .22 ammo in stock. The others answered by reflex, "oh no, we don't have any of that, people buy it up as soon as we stock it." I think that's really weird. One of the store employees said that the shortage of .22 ammunition was caused by the closure of 'the last Lead mine' in the
    U.S. I know lead is hazardous, but I don't know if that's true. Another store employee said the shortage was caused by people buying all the ammo they could, and re-selling it online for double the price. That sounds like the American way. I paid $22.00 for a brick of 500 Remington Thunderbolts (not the preferred fodder for my Ruger 10-22 but
    these days, you get what you get).

Oh yes and in the eternal 'tubes vs solid state' debate, there is always the fact that when my tube amp blows a tube and I can't get another one, my Roland Cube will still be working. I don't think the typical audience cares if you run a tube amp or not. If Russia breaks itself into smaller and smaller pieces and the tube factory gets overrun by tough guys in odd or incomplete uniforms, people will still want to hear music.

And if the economy here tanks and the paper money's no good any more, I imagine a good standard currency might be the humble .22 cartridge. That's why I think people are buying it up at whatever price is asked. And "Inflation' is indicated by the fact that two of the
    boxes of ammunition I bought were boxes of 40 rounds, not 50. signs of the times...

17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Is not being problem. I am getting matched sovtek el84s and 12ax7s on internet from little old lady outside Leningrad, I mean St. Petersburg.:naughty:

I have no idea what the current situation will do, but did find lots of "valves", including some Russian military spec without looking hard. My town is big enough to have a couple of closed down electronics shops, who's owners' were wise enough to keep their stock of tubes, but the local boutique amp builders have driven those prices up. And there's always the internet.
    Although my Crate Palomino doesn't seem to have had much use, I always advise clients to completely retube used amps, so I will do that, as well. OEM are Groove Tubes, but I may go to Electro-Harmonix. I'm open to suggestions, btw.
    Col. I believe the problem with setting up our tube factory has to do with the toxicity of the metals and the processes used to plate them, or more to the point, the expense to mitigate the hazards.
    ;>)/

18. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

It's like the old Soviet days, and we'll have to "know someone" to get a pair of 12AX7s. They'll come wrapped in newspaper, in the mouths of iced fishes, secreted out of some drab building in central Moscow.

19. CATMANDUE

Thanks TW! The Lord has been kind to myself.

20. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

And if the economy here tanks and the paper money's no good any more, I imagine a good standard currency might be the humble .22 cartridge. That's why I think people are buying it up at whatever price is asked.

Above statement By The Colonel well said!
    Ron Paul Challenged Bernanke about the Fed and printing money
    without any backing and asked him Is silver money Is Gold money?
    Bernanke answered no Of course LOL ! When The real answer Is yes!
    But I Think we are now at a point where Bullets are Money too .
    are Indeed can be traded like Gold or silver I told people
    If you wanna make money buy ammo and hold On for for 15 - 20 years
    that was 20 years ago. LOL they thought I was way out there.
    I now tell people buy gold silver and ammo:thumb:.Im too old to give a ****
    now .