SAMICK SG 450

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by ruster1, Oct 22, 2019.

1. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

20190824_112959_resized.jpg 20190824_112921_resized_1.jpg 20190824_111944_resized.jpg 20190824_111425_resized.jpg 20190824_112407_resized.jpg Finally pulled the trigger on the ultimate SG copy few weeks ago. December of 1997 made in Korea. Ran across it online and it stared at me for days until i bought it. For the price delivered under 2 bills, i am a happy camper. Only a few issues, as it has one ding of the classic "fell of the strap" type on bottom and the switch tip was missing. I had to find an old Epi 3.5mm aged tip and fill it will super glue and drill out the 3.0mm hole and tap it for threads. The frets are in great shape, tuners were replaced with Grovers and the G and B tuners are STICKY.. i may take the knobs off and grease the bushings a bit with lithium. Really a fantastic feeling guitar. Neck is thin but not wafer thin like my SG-62. Does need a slight fret level as my rocker found a few spots to massage. The rounded sides of the neck feels great and it has some heft at 7 lbs 6 ounces. Very happy with this and gives me another project over the winter. Shout out to PermissionToLand for recommending these. Much better than the Epi's I have tried in the past, but the headstock has got to be 1-2 inches longer than the SG Standards. I have seen a few of these with scarf joints in the neck. This one does not and the NATO grain is excellent on this one. Mini-pots i had to shoot some de-ox into but are working fine. PUPS sounds great.. I may only change the switch.

2. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Member

Very cool! Happy New Guitar Day!

ruster1 likes this.
  3. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

TY, proud Pappa of a new 7lb 6oz baby samick.. should be fun..this far other than setup..I would not change a thing..plays and feels very good.. these are worth the $$.

Astral Traveler likes this.
  4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

CL MPLS?? There’s one floating around the mpls area for pretty cheap.

5. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Very nice score @ruster1! Samick guitars are trustworthy :cheers:

ruster1 likes this.
  6. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Norton, still relatively new here, but what is the MPLS area? classifieds?

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

ruster1 and Norton like this.
  8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Thanks a bunch.. CL = Craigs List..(duh) I did see that one.. looks great.. have had some luck having CL listings ship items as well. I actually prefer to have them drop it off with a local UPS so I can direct them how I want it boxed and padded.. I got mine for $ 140.. perhaps that seller would take less.. they are very well built.. Had my eyes on the Samick Strats as well.. the Valley Arts Designed models.. not sure if they were made in Korea or Indo in the early 90's? but they look fine...

Norton likes this.
  9. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Minneapolis Craigslist. Indeed. Thank you drbgood!

ruster1 likes this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The Valley Arts models are all Korean. ;)

Nice score! I think mine have scarf joints but I know my semi-hollow has a weird flat joint just under the bottom tuners. I'd bet that's how yours is done. Funny, because mine is a '97 as well. I'll take a look when I get home.

11. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I'm not much of a strat guy, but sometimes you need those single coils for certain things.. and the Valley Arts Designed strat look great.. nice features.. I will have a closer look to my headstock and see.. these guitars really do feel great to play.. !!

12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

13. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Id say those
    calipers are spot on for a green tortex

cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

You got it totally right..! I had to run the light just right to notice.. looks like the start of some end grain on the neck transitioning in a joint to flat grain just under the tuners.. this guitar is a late 97.. made in December.. perhaps that is a clue.. were the early ones having the scarf joint on the neck? I don't see the scarf as a big issue unless you are a solid chunk of wood/tone believer.. I rather like glue.. lol I've seen many studies that body wood means less to tone that the neck wood.. interesting stuff... 20191024_211727_resized.jpg 20191024_211722_resized.jpg