Scratch my head

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by living room rocker, Dec 8, 2018.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I'm two years in, studying theory like a beast, have a decent grasp of basics but scratch my head. An example.....Doobie Bros 70's tune "Another Park Another Sunday", written in E major. I'll go visit Ultimate Guitar.com and see a 5 star version containing chords that don't jibe to the key of E. This version shows chords of E, E minor, F# minor, G, A, B, B minor, and D. The chords E minor, G, B minor, and D don't belong in the key of E. I've a reasonable grasp of modes and positional playing but don't understand using chords containing notes out of key. Is this website's chord progression diagrams authored by top musicians or am I totally missing a basic theory principle?

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I dunno what ultimate guitar is sorry and not familiar with that tune but I guess I would throw out a few things.

1) the guitar tabs that are out on the internet vary tremendously in accuracy and reliability

2) while most blues songs tend to stay in the same key ( most of the time ) it is not rare for rock songs to change keys sometimes going from a major to minor ( E to E minor maybe here )

3) rock just doesn't go by rules so much if it sounds good while playing it and it works so various chords may appear at times semi randomly even

4) I am not smart enough to understand jazz at all but that stuff changes all the freaking time I think

Is there like an online player for that song? If so and you use it does the way they are showing the song plays match how the song you are interested in is recorded?

living room rocker likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why it's called "Music Theory". It's just an observation of how notes are arranged and transcribed on paper, not rules that have to be followed such as laws of physics.

Songs have a key signature and often use chords and notes that are not in said key signature. That's what accidentals (flats, sharps, naturals) are for.

Don't be sharp.
    Don't be flat.
    Just be natural.

Songs also have a time signature and tempo and often one or the other or both will change throughout the song.

The theory usually happens after the fact when a song is written and transcribed. A composer hears something in their head or just plays something and it happens. What sounds good to one person may not sound good to another. It's all subjective. The theory is just a way to transcribe what is heard to notation on paper.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    living room rocker likes this.
  4. living room rocker

No sir; no online player that I subscribe to or am aware of. I'll simply google "chords to ????" and up pops this site (UltimateGuitar.com) that shows rated versions of chord progressions to the song. I'll study the progression and see the use of chords out of key. Again I'm rather new to the game and believe I have the mistaken idea that everything has to fit nice and neat. Either the author's version is off or.........I still have a LOT to learn. Probably the latter.

5. living room rocker

Not quite sure what you mean by "don't be sharp or flat, just be natural" but do understand your comment of what a composer hears being considered subjective.

6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Don’t B ♯
    Don’t B♭
    Just B♮