Seeking SG pickguard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TinPan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TinPan

TinPan New Member

I just picked up a 2017 SG faded T, it has stock humbuckers housed in a batwing pickguard. The Gibson humbuckers are just dandy however I have a set of realy nice & hot mini humbuckers. Is there a such thing as a batwing pickguard that houses minies? If so who? where? Or is there a custom shop anywhere?

2. 67King

67King Member

I've seen pickup surrounds that made the minis fit into a standard pickup ring before. Maybe that is what you need?

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

WD Music as well as several others can fabricate custom guards if you provide a tracing. Have the pup cut outs on the guard sized for the Mini Humbucker covers and hang the pups on the guard without mounting rings, same method as full-sized Humbuckers.

Full-sized to Mini Humbucker adapter rings are a great idea on an SG with small guard. But on an SG with batwing, the rings can look clunky in the neck position. The outside corners of the rings end up extending right up to the outer edge of the batwing near the neck.

I use mounting rings with batwings on full-sized humbuckers in bridge position only to level the pickup with the strings to allow for more precise pup height adjustment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Pickguard planet/pickguard heaven/Chandler Guitars (same company) makes custom guards at reasonable prices. I just used them and I'm extremely pleased with my custom guard. What you're seeking they can do.

5. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

I've used pickguardian.com before.

6. ydrive

ydrive Member

Susihukkanen likes this.
  7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

It's always best to get a pick guard made with no screw holes and line them up yourself. I learned to insert small brad nails with the heads cut off in the holes then press the guard over them. Use the small indentations for pilot holes then ream each one out slowly with a small bit. Countersink the holes with a sharp Philips head screwdriver.
    Otherwise there is a very good chance they won't line up no matter who you order from especially if it's an older guitar.
    15184456836041224602027.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    rotorhead likes this.
  8. ydrive

ydrive Member

That sounds like a good idea, but where do you find pickguards with not screw holes? I could still see having to shave the edges to fit Strat neck pockets or Tele control plates.

9. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Any place that cuts custom pick guards will make them without holes and most recommend it. I used Chandler guitars aka pickguard planet/ pickguard heaven as I mentioned before