Seeking SG suggestions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SweetJohnnyD, Mar 26, 2020.

1. SweetJohnnyD

SweetJohnnyD New Member

Hola, new SG Lifer to the group. My #1 (1999 STD) has a smaller neck than #2 (2014 '61 RI). After #1 saw thousands of gigs, had rusty parts, etc I started to worry I'd get stuck w/o a back up so I bought #2 from Reverb (having never played the model) It took me a while to get used to #2 because the neck is bigger but even more so because the frets seemed huge when I bought it. I took it to a local guy who filed the frets down a little and finally bonded with it ( I realize this sounds weird but it worked) The tonal difference between #1 and #2 is like night and day. I don't know if #1 PU are older and the frets are worn down but it seems "dull" compared to #2. Not in a bad way, just lower volume, less articulation and definitely not as much "high frequency" sounds. I now realize that there are much better sounding SG options out there and am interested in adding #3. So, some ideas would be "smaller neck", no whammy bars, 3 PUs or really "Vintage" since I'm fairly rough with instruments. Doesn't have to be a STD but I'm skeptical of entry level guitars since I changing from MIM Strats to #1 in the 90's. $1K or maybe $1K range if possible for a higher end SG that meets the criteria. Any suggestions much appreciated!