Selling R0 Les Paul and keeping SG. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by lovehifi, Sep 4, 2016.

1. lovehifi

lovehifi Active Member

Thanks guys. Well I decided not to sell the LP. I pulled it out of the case last night and played it and it is an awesome guitar. I would miss it. Playing it through my 1966 Super Reverb sounded just fantastic. I will just approach the SG and LP as two different tools. Being 59 years old I think the weight of the LP vs the SG has something to do with it. Regardless both will stay. :) I have been playing SGs since the 70s. LPs too. Love them both. Here is a pic of me and my SG at the time back in the 80s when our band was playing in Puerto Rico. Fun times.
    10.jpg
    11.jpg

grausch, SG John, TubeStack and 6 others like this.
  2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

LOve HIfi,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you will permit me to add a suggestion. Did you try adjusting the pickups on the LP and also, what Pickups, pots and caps are in it? New Strings? Bone Nut?

My $375 Epi LP Std was a nice sounding guitar until I tried to modify it to be closer to my former and forever regretted selling first electric guitar, my 1979 Black LP Std.

I know that last sentence was a bit awkward. THe rest of the picture goes like this, My once Nice sounding LP is now a kick ASS sounding LP with only about $125 of the $425 extra I spent on making it GREAT. I could have done great with the $125 for a new bone nut and pro setup. But prior to the nut work, I installed a set of Original 1979 T Top pickups like my original guitar had in it. Did not even replace the Asian Pots, Caps,Jack, Switch or Wiring but it still plays awesome.

Maybe you just need some tweaking in the right areas to make your LP a bad ass guitar you will want, instead of one you go EH ho hum at.

lovehifi likes this.
  3. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I had a 2005 LP Standard in Cayenne Red.. I sold it 4 years ago. I still regret selling it..

Keep your Lester!

lovehifi and smitty_p like this.
  4. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

Some Day your RO will look like this photo and the RO's are rare now.

1959+Les+Paul+Sunburst+complete.jpg

5. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

i have both but only use the lp when the sg breaks a string on stage & that's only been about 3 times in decades...

DSCN1451.jpg

lovehifi, frankd and eS.G. like this.
  6. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Watch over your herd carefully and keep her balanced.

First off, glad to read that you are keeping the LP.

Your LP is unique. The top looks simple and uncomplicated. If you look some other LP's, you might wonder if the workers were otherwise occupied - on one side, the grain is going north and south and the other side is going east and west. or both sides going the same direction and the grains on both sides are so far apart, they couldn't have possible came from the same piece of wood or th4e same forest. And there is no shame to release those eye sores on the general public.

Next, many of us can't survive with just one guitar or four or five guitars of the same model. There is a need, a want, and a desire to cover different sounds and characters with our instruments.

lovehifi likes this.
  7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yeah uhh well what about all the so called flamed maple that painted to have the striations going thru that aren't really there like 98%
    of the so called flame tops being sold right now LOL . I just bought a plain top and no the grain aint a exact match on both pieces but to me its way better than fake tiger striped stuff they sale,
    Now Sorry hi fi that's a a very pretty Lester don't sell her hang on to her as long as ya can and play her at home sitting down are in the studio .
    Thanks Frank
    here is the one I'm waiting on I hate waiting !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    ivan H, Gahr, lovehifi and 2 others like this.
  8. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

"Personally I love the look of the LP's but find them so uncomfortable and awkward to play, so I would sell it and buy more SG's."

+1 my thoughts exactly.........

Delboy and ScottMarlowe like this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

IMHO a Gibson Les Paul R0 is simply an exceptional guitar. You don't buy one of these and then
    mod it. What you do with an R0 is cherish it. Insure it. Enjoy it for what it is. Play great music on it.
    You don't find fault with it. If you find yourself wanting to criticize it, and pick out little details
    to be unhappy with, then you should sell it to someone who knows how to appreciate it.
    >Hah... after looking around at what these are going for, it seems that idiots DO mod their Custom Shop
    guitars, as if they knew better than the custom shop how to build a great Les Paul. *shrugs.
    I've seen these offered for $3500 up to like $4200, but maybe they're dreaming.
    Well, that's way out of my league, even devalued by mods.
    >I seem to be able to play music to the best of my ability on guitars costing much much less than this.
    But if I owned one, I would play it. I would display it. I would stare at it, and wonder why I was drooling
    on my keyboard, and then log out, plug in and take a ride on the A train.

grausch likes this.
  10. shardy53

shardy53 Active Member

In the past 25 years I have owned Two Les Pauls, a Heritage 335 Copy, one telecaster, three Strats and a gazillion acoustics. I now have one Strat, and Two SG's. For some reason I never even picked up and held an SG until this past spring. I had no intention of buying a guitar that fateful day when I walked into my local music store and tried out my first SG. Now I own two and the rest is history. I think that the only reason that I bought Les Pauls in the first place was that I thought I was "supposed to like them". The fact is that I just never bonded with them. The same with the Heritage ES 335 copy. They are long gone now and I am not looking back and I am not sorry I sold them. I still play my one Strat on occasion for certain songs but my SG's thrill me every time I pick them up. I obviously am just not an LP guy and you might be in the same boat. If I kept every guitar that I ever owned just in case I started liking it again, I would have guitars up the yin yang. Do what you feel is best and don't look back.

Col Mustard likes this.
  11. CosmicSG

CosmicSG New Member

If you don't need the money, keep the R0. It is a fantastic guitar. You may regret one day not having it in your arsenal. I have an SG and several Les Pauls and Strats. They all get played as I go through moods on what my ears want to hear and my hands want to feel. It cost you nothing to hang the R0 on a stand or keep it in a case. Pick it up from time to time and enjoy it!

Raiyn, Col Mustard and Goldmember like this.
  12. Mr Pointy

Mr Pointy New Member

Trouble is with keeping guitars is finding space to keep them...also I do love my Tokai Japan Les Paul but I dont love what it does to my back! Seriously thinking of selling the blighter. and buying another SG.

13. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Yeah I got rid of my Les Pauls too.I now have 3 SG's,I kept my strat but I'm not playing that anymore either.I just want more SG's .lol

14. CosmicSG

CosmicSG New Member

The Ebony Les Paul in my profile picture is an R0. So obviously I am biased! I like the variety. Depending on my mood, I grab a Les Paul, SG or a Strat. It is nice to have options.

RVA likes this.
  15. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

I do really like your Ebony R0!! whats the weight?

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Larry, you want a LP with a Sg feel ? Get yourself a P90 Epi LP special 1. As light if not lighter than a SG and as thin too. There's a lot on the market for les than $100. Can't go wrong with that one. I've had one for 3 years and it's behaving real well amongst the SG crowd.

17. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Thanks,actually I saw some of those a few months ago when I was checking out some practice modeling amps.They were on sale for $99.I found a yellow one that was nice but I have no GAS for a LP type axe.Which is a good thing I suppose. Now I do have some building GAS for a new 2017 Pelham blue Firebird Studio.I'm trying to stay away from the music store right now but it's calling my name...

18. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I have an ebony R0, weighs 8 pounds 14.4 ounces. Trying very hard to keep it amidst some pretty tough financial straits

19. CosmicSG

CosmicSG New Member

Thanks. It is 8.75 lbs. It is a really light, reasonant piece of mahogany with good acoustic properties when unplugged. The Custom Shop always gets the pick of the wood and from my understanding chooses the most lightest, resonant wood they can find. Which is cool because most 58-60 Les Pauls were actually lightweight guitars compared to the '70s Les Pauls which are bricks.

It Is hard to tell in the profile pic, but the rosewood board is nice too - very dark. Almost as dark as ebony wood.

I love the guitar. But I also love the other Les Paul in the pic. Both play, feel and sound different to one another.

20. CosmicSG

CosmicSG New Member

Good luck bro. I hope you navigate the straights and are able to hang onto her.