Seymore Duncan JB and rosewood

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Curt8771, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

So I've been been doing some research in replacement pick ups for my Sg. (I'm dropping the current p'ups in a guitar I'm building) First off I play a lot of Sabbath, Maiden, Megadeth, that kinda stuff, so Im looking at a JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck. I've seen a lot of people saying that the JB sounds very thin in some mahogany guitars so I am a bit hesitant to go ahead with this purchase. Any experience with these pickups in an Sg?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

It's not the mahogany.
    Get a Dirty Fingers
    [​IMG]

3. sg jones

sg jones Member

I have had a JB in an SG for years. First in a Faded 08 Gibson and now in an Epi SG Special converted into a Jr. They both sound fine. I have a DP100 Super Distortion in my newest SG SP1.

Sabbath is worshiped daily....YMMV due to different amps, speakers and pedals. When it comes to pickups you have a lot to choose from and just like every thing else opinions and experiences vary....

20170314_163037.jpg

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Have used the JB in LP, Flying V and Explorer in the past and sound ok.

These days I just keep the stock 490's in my SG Specials and they sound fine.
    Adjust the pickup height, and on the full batwing, use foam shims under the pickups to level the top plane of the pickup with the strings and good to go.
    Many people dislike the 490.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    Change the stock 300K volume pot to 500K and see what happens.

Usually 250K on Single Coils and 500K on Humbuckers.
    The JB is an exception to that rule.

With the JB, people who claim it sounds thin or shrill probably aren't aware that SD recommends using 250K volume pot instead of 500K if too bright.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/product-news/the-jb-and-59-a-classic-combination

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

A while ago I did a blind test for pickups in SGs, check it out (http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/pickup-demo-comparison-pick-your-favourite.29075)
    Nº1 example was an Epiphone G400 (stock 500k pots) with the Jazz-JB set, lots of people found it their favourite.

For what is worth, I found it too boomy and loose in the bottom end for me, the oppossite of the thin and shrill qualities most people on the Internet complain about when describing the JB. But I like a fairly bright sound to begin with, YMMV

I have the Dirty Fingers in another guitar and it sounds amazing through the 2203 Marshall. I prefer it to the JB. I'm a big fan of the DiMarzio SuperDistortion too.

6. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

Good to know, thanks. Ill actually be dropping it in a G-400 w 500k coil splits. Will check it out.

It also seems another popular alternative is the Duncan Distortion. A little bit more cleaned up on the the bottom end apparently.

7. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

Think I'm going to go with a JB-59 combo. They're both $80. I liked the sound of the 59 more than the jazz, the jazz seems really bright and you don't get that juicy Dave Murray neck tone.

8. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

Also just realized I put rosewood in the title when I meant mahogany. Gg me.

Edit:
    Ordered! White and 4 conductor for splitting!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    bwotw likes this.