SG’s do not sound thin

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by TheSandman, May 17, 2020.

1. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

i don t care what "people sayin"...:smile:

if the sound of yours fits your music /style..
    why worry ?

plankton, TheSandman and cheshiergrin like this.
  2. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I dunno about all of the scientific audio data, etc, but when I plugged in my new (to me) LPJ to my amp I've been using with my SG, i did notice a slightly thicker, heavier sound- different enough where I adjusted a few knobs for my tastes.

The LPJ does sound, idk, fuller? A slight bit heavier? More dense? No idea why or how, but I do hear a distinct difference between these two guitars.

Both rock and both are keepers, for sure.

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Hey I'd own some Epi's if they made the ones I like in lefty! I do have a knock off LP, I rewired it with CTS 500k pots and bumblebee caps and it sounded better. Put the good pickups back in your LP and play the heck out of it! :yesway:

5. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I’m a lefty too :yesway:

pedecamp likes this.
  6. Prostheta

Prostheta New Member

Damnit. Wrote a big post and the forum decided it didn't like the content. Spam-like or inappropriate? Is it because I mentioned Les Pauls?!

7. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 New Member

I have a LP JR and a SG Jr. They sound slightly different but I wouldn’t say thinner or thicker. More the LP growls and the SG snarls. I guess it’s more of where the midrange is stronger. I personally like the sound of both so it depends on which one I feel like playing that day. Usually it’s th SG

8. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Perhaps it's a subconscious perception because they're physically thin compared to a Les Paul. SGs are as agressive anything made by Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, etc. but only a Les Paul is a Les Paul. SGs do offer advantages such as lighter weight and better fret access.

9. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

i own a 72 sg & a lp custom from the same year & play the sg & a acoustic several hours a day but go years between touching the lp... i consider a tele & a sg the opposite extremes in tone & everything else is closer to the center... i find sg's thicker & browner sounding than lp's & besides i've cut sessions where i bought a tele as instructed & made my sg "cut it"... most people play electric guitars in amps that have these spiny things that change the sound thickerer & thinerer...

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/heritage-cherry-sg.27967/#post-444580

10. jk67SG

jk67SG New Member

I have both- a 1967 (actual) SG Standard, and a 1960 True Historic Les Paul. Specifically, what is said is that SG's sound thin compared to LP's; having both, I concur with that statement. It's a relative distinction. It's not to say SG's sound 'thin'; they don't. Maybe you would feel better if it was stated differently, like this? 'LP's sound fatter compared to SG's'... Whichever way suit's you, they're both great guitars (mine are, anyways) and I love both of mine... but they're different, each with their own distinctive characteristics & voices. The biggest difference between my two guitars is this: old wood makes a difference. My SG is significantly louder acoustically than my LP... just like it's significantly louder than any modern SG I've heard.

11. RW59

RW59 New Member

SG's have their pickups mounted closer to the bridge than LP's. (Except for some Norlins and bolt-neck Epi's.)

Especially the neck pickup -- it's more than a half inch closer to the bridge.

So yes, the deep bass is a little weaker and the treble is a little stronger. They don't sound "thin", just not quite as fat as LP's.

Certainly not "wimpy thin". SG's can snarl in ways LP's can't. More aggressive, less mellow.

rotorhead likes this.
  12. jk67SG

jk67SG New Member

@RW59
    My 1967 SG bridge pickup pole pieces are almost exactly the same distance to the bridge as my 1960 TH... the neck pickup pole pieces are barely more than 1/2" closer to the bridge... very similar to yours. Do you think that 1/2" on the neck pickup would make very much difference in the tone?

13. RW59

RW59 New Member

On the LP Historics, they changed the bridge pickup location at least 3 times. Plus there's some random variation when they mount the pickup rings. So some LP's and some SG's have similar bridge pickup measurements. The closer you are to the bridge, little differences can be noticeable.

SG's have their neck pickup pretty much exactly where 24 fret guitars do. Yes, most people can easily hear that difference.

I'm not saying it's a huge difference. Like I said, SG's aren't "thin" sounding. They're just a little less fat sounding, a little bit brasher.

Variations in pickups and pots (even if they're the same brand & model), and variations in individual pieces of wood, can mellow some SG's and make some LP's more aggressive.

But on average, in general, the pickup placement gives the SG its reputation for being a touch brighter and a touch more aggressive.

14. Riplead

Riplead Member

Ya know what? This may sound stupid, but a LOT of how your guitar sounds is what you're running it through. I play my SG Standard (and a few other guitars) through my Kemper Profiler into studio monitors with a sub, and it sounds fat and chunky. In fact the tone is so good, it's hard to put it down. That's the ultimate for me. A guitar and/or tone that are so good, you can't stop playing. But comparatively speaking, I would say that SG's do not sound thin. Heck I've heard Strats sound thin until you plug them into a Marshall JCM 800 with a 4/12 cab.

Col Mustard likes this.
  15. Prontocruiser

Prontocruiser New Member

I have both and while they don't sound the same and I wouldn't have both if they did, my SG also sounds completely different depending on the amp. I thought it was crap with my Marshall DSL401, but completely changed my mind when I sold the amp and bought a plexi. It sounds fantastic on a Fender twin, a mesa 50 cal and also my Vox ac30 and each one shows a different side of the guitar. What sounds great on the SG can sound "woofy" on the neck on my LP standard, but sounds perfect on the SG. Beyond that, if you like it, who cares what me or anyone else thinks anyway. :)

16. hardrockerdave94

hardrockerdave94 New Member

Definitely not thin sounding at all! There's slightly less bottom end than something like a Les Paul but especially in a mix, that slight bass cut actually sits it really well in a mix and lets the mids stand out properly. To me (though I do love them too) a Les Paul is like an SG with a cold.

jtees4 likes this.
  17. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I get that argument - and there's nothing wrong with it in principle, but I don't think it's the whole story. Imagine someone playing a Les Paul on the bridge pickup whilst someone else is playing an SG on the neck pickup. Would anyone be likely to say 'Why does that Les Paul sound so thin?' or 'How come that SG sounds so fat next to a Les Paul?'. Yet in that example that difference in pickup positions being used is far greater than the neck v. neck positions on LPs and SGs.

I think there's more going on than pick up positions; in particular, people 'hear what they see', and experience what they expected, that's just what brains do.

Demon Dave likes this.
  18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

All of what I write below is IMHO of course... no offense meant
    to anyone.

SGs do not sound thin. Just as Les Pauls do not sound thick.
    People say dumb things like this, and then others repeat them in order
    to seem well informed. But it's still just not true.
    You see dumb comments like this on many internet fora, but not this one.
    Just ignore them. General statements like that are inaccurate and ignorant.
    ...and uninteresting.

SGs can sound thick, round, bassy, SGs can growl, moan or shriek.
    SGs can sound light and airy, Jazzy and mellow, or they can push out a
    driving midrange bark... SGs are known for their rebellious tone, but also
    for their "bell like" tone.
    SGs can push an amp into overdrive, or they can play clean as country water.
    An SG can output any sound its owner is capable of.
    It all comes down to what you do with your tone controls...
    and what amp you play it through.

You control your tone based on what you want in the mix...
    Les Pauls AND SGs both provide all the tones you need to do this.
    So do Telecasters of course, in spite of similar inaccurate statements made
    about the limits of Telecaster tone (which don't exist, actually).

Like duh... *grins
    The same for Les Paul guitars. All of what I claimed above for SG tone
    is also true of the Les Paul guitar. Other members above have noted the
    small difference in tone caused by the small difference in pickup placement.
    THAT is the only real difference. SGs and Les Pauls sound almost alike,
    but the difference in pickup placement gives the Les Paul a slightly different
    tone.

None of that matters because of how much control the player has
    with the onboard tone controls, and the amp tone controls, and the
    various pedals available. Tonewood is NOT a factor IMHO because wood
    is not like, magnetic. But that's another can of worms.

One of my SGs has a traddie mahogany neck, and the other has a maple
    neck. I like both, and I can get highs, mids and lows out of each guitar.
    I like the feel of the maple neck on an SG, it feels rigid and solid in
    my hand, but I don't think it affects tone very much.

I think a person's tone controls make all the difference that we need.
    Individual guitars have unique tonal differences which charm us or repel us...
    that's why we love to buy more than one. *shrugs

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    TheSandman likes this.
  19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

So true. Guitars all work pretty much the same, but guitar players are more apt to sound thick.

TheSandman likes this.
  20. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

If a Strat can sound thick, an SG can sound thick a lot easier. It's all about the player, the amp and whatever else is used.

TheSandman likes this.