SG, ?, Amp Whats in your signal chain/!!!!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Blucifer, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

So we all love Sg's, amps and gear! Everyone has their own approach for great tone! Some folks go directly into the amp , some use pedal boards direct and or split into an effects loop, I imagine some may even bang some coconuts and break out a comb and wax paper! The point is I am interested to see what everyone uses in their signal chain! Pedals other devices the sky's the limit! lets have some fun! Pics encouraged!!!!

2. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

[​IMG]

Here is my current board! I mostly use it for writing and noodling! when playing with my band I basically just use a tuner and maybe some reverb into a two channel Orange amp!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You scared me a bit there, because ANY guitar going through that amount of pedals would sound the same.

I have amps with intergated effects and different voices, a Vox AD60VT and a Fender Super Champ XD (actually 2 of this one). Both give me a nice diversity of tones for my SG's (plural since a week ago). I also recently got a tiny Vox MV50 Boutique that is anything but tiny in tone, and both SG's play very well through it. Only effect I use on this one is a tad of chorus (old Ibanez CF7), it kind of fills the space a reverb would.

Most of the time, the SG's will be used with OD or maybe a fuzz effect on the Vox AD60VT. Marshall or Tweed voices with some gain on the SCXD.

DanB likes this.
  4. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada New Member

Play mine through a Vox Mini 3 G2, set on Cali Metal, touch of compression, and T echo at 75%. If the bigger VTs give this result my next big amp will be just that! Sweet cleans out of the Mini too if you tweak it.

Blucifer likes this.
  5. bgh

bgh Member

I go through a volume pedal, an Effectrode Blackbird, and (depending upon the need) either a Zendrive or a Jester ... into a Mesa TA-30.

DanB and Blucifer like this.
  6. DanB

DanB Active Member

Hi, I sort of took the lazy man's approach, i don't own any pedals now (used to have a wah-wah pedal but that was years ago). I was using my old practice amp, an old Roland Cube 20 (over 30 years old) which had good overdrive and reverb but nothing else. I used to have an UltraVox 720 Amp which also had some built in effects but some crackhead relieved me of this amp a number of years back by stealing it from the back of my car, so I have only been using the Cube 20 for practice anyways.
    Instead of getting some pedals, I just went out and bought a new Blackstar 10v2 10 watt stereo practice amp, which was on sale at Guitar Center for $ 89.00. I am enjoying this amp as it has all kinds of built in effects, crunch, supercrunch, Overdrive 1 and Overdrive 2, plus Reverb, Delay, and Modulating modes. For an amp its size it packs a lot of punch plus you can even get good effects at low volume, which is nice on the nights when everyone else is sleeping. BTW I bought this amp after someone here on the SG site recommended it over the other practice amp I was looking at, the Fender Champion 20. At some point I should do a separate post on the new amp, but have been too busy/lazy to do so.
    Guitarsamp.jpg amp.jpg

Blucifer likes this.
  7. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

It depends on the day and what I am doing. Direct to amps most of the time. Larger board here as well. Smaller board has a 535 wah, Skreddy Hybrid Driver and a Dirty Little Secret v1.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    DanB and Blucifer like this.
  8. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Guitar >------------ sometimes a wah---------------> amp

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Blucifer likes this.
  9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

When I play at home, 98 % of the time it's guitar - Catalinbread Talisman plate reverb - amp.

Otherwise it is (most often) guitar - tuner - Crowther Hotcake OD - Analogman Surface NKT275 fuzz - MXR Carbon Copy delay - Catalinbread Talisman - amp.

Apart form the reverb, which is on at a fairly subtle setting most of the time, I use the pedals very sparingly, only on a few particular songs. Every now and then I'll use a Vox Wah, a Fulltone Octafuzz and a Fulltone Deja Vibe as well.

Blucifer likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG -> Kemper -> Focusrite -> Logic Pro X

[​IMG]

sayeth, DanB and Blucifer like this.
  11. xland

xland Member

Pretty straight forward setup = guitar--->EP Booster--->Fender Bassbreaker 15 (w/1x12 extenstion cabinet with 65W Celestion Creamback).

Blucifer likes this.
  12. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

There's usually something in there, but most of the time it's not being used. There will always be a fuzz of some type, as well as a boost. Usually a wah, a tuner, my Octron and some sort of modulation (flanger, phaser, u-vibe) too.

Blucifer likes this.
  13. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

I build my own pedals,
    so far its a few Fuzzes (one for my Tele, one for the SG), a triangle Big Muff, Green Ringer Octave, Rangemaster type boost, Tremolo, Univibe.

Not in that order, cause I haven't built a proper pedal board yet.
    Also have a Joe Gagan Italia Wah, and my trusty Turbo Tuner.
    Have a TC Flashback mini delay I want to sell off and get a Belle Epoch or EP103, then my tape delay needs will be covered nicely.

Considering a full-on Spring Tank Reverb build in the near future.

Blucifer likes this.
  14. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Hmmmm, requires a bit of thinking here....

Ok, Guitar--->Monoprice EQ Booster--->Belcat Analog Chorus--->Joyo Compressor--->EH Mel 9--->Some cheap Chinese Dynamic Wah--->Duncan LavaBox--->Nux Time Core---Either/or Roland original Blues Cube/Roland Bolt 60, and thru the effect of either amp Behringer Ultra tremolo and a Boss RV3. If I want to make my life REAL complicated, I also use a Roland GR1 guitar synth, with some of the above thru the in/out patch.

Blucifer likes this.
  15. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

That Natural, Korina or whatever it is Sg is just stunning!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    2001 SG Standard Korina (natural finish)

HackeIommi and Blucifer like this.
  17. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

no problem, credit where credit is due!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Boring answer time.
    I've learned over the years that the only effect I ever really use/like/care about is reverb, not including od/dist. If I don't have 1-4 distortion pedals before the amp, or maybe a graphic eq just before or in the FX loop, it's gonna be straight in. The jiggery pokery of both effects and push/pulls on guitars are just not at all for me in any way. I'm a simple man.

19. sayeth

sayeth Member

My go to rig right now looks like this: SG -> Dunlop Volume X -> Line 6 HX Effects -> Sunn SL260.

The HX Effects board I've set up has, all models of course, a Keeley Mod DS1, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, Particle Reverb, Harmonizer, EHX Memory Man, Looper.

I've been on a constant search for the tone I hear in my head, and with this setup, I'm there. The recently acquired SG I picked up has a lot to do with it, but I swear by this HX Effects. Covers all my bases and I think it sounds excellent if you have nice clean amp that takes pedals well, which this Sunn does!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  20. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Here's mine. Guitar into Big Muff, into wah, to the Rat, Uni-Vibe, delay then boost into my Orange Micro Terror Driving 1 or 2 12's FB_IMG_1561936442088.jpg FB_IMG_1561936449405.jpg

HackeIommi likes this.