SG, ?, Amp Whats in your signal chain/!!!!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Blucifer, Jun 4, 2019.

1. SG NOOB

SG NOOB Member

My current pedal board. I play my Pete Townshend SG or my Johnny Marr Jag through this into a Fender Pro Jr or an old Vox Pacemaker.

Otherwise I use a Carl Martin Quattro.

[​IMG]

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I usually use a very small pedalboard of some kind.
    Tuner, wah(sometimes), dirt, chorus, delay, reverb
    into either an old BF Fender, a Supro or a Roland
    and I almost always mic the amp with an E609.

It depends on the gig. The Wah usually stays home
    unless the guitar has a single coil or coil taps in it.

3. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

SG w/Lollar HW Imperials > EP Booster at unity>EVH wah>MXR CBMOD>Keeley Fuzz Head > L6 HXFX in 4CM w/Whirlwind Orange Box in the HXFX’s loop.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Epiphone SG Special:
    [​IMG]

Going into>>

My pedal setup, though the single effect pedals will soon be attached to a propper pedal board, and in the not too distant future the Zoom G1Xon multi effect will be replaced with a Zoom G3Xn:
    [​IMG]

Going into>>

Peavey Solo Special 112, 160W solid state combo amp with a 12" Scorpion speaker unit:
    [​IMG]

Making my signal path look like this:

Epiphone SG Special>>

TC Electronic Sub'n'Up Mini (clean + 1 octave up)> Joyo Orange Juice (light/medium overdrive, as well as dirty boost for the GDI21 dist)> Behringer GDI21 (always used in conjunction with the Joyo Orange Juice for my high gain dist, using the California setting)> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger)> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass]> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send> Behringer UT-100 Ultra Tremolo> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal) >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send> Xvive V6 Phaser King> Loop B of LS-2 Return (Loop B functioning as empty parallel clean effects loop when phaser is not engaged, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 60/40) }= // Bypass> Output of LS-2> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as various other effects, primarily reverb and delay)> Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo, always on preamp)> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (8 band graphic equalizer, always on)

>> Peavey Solo Special 112

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Clifdawg likes this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Right now, it kinda depends on what I'm doing, although I rarely use much in the way of pedals.

For acoustic guitar:
    Takamine GN20 w/ Artec active soundhole pickup -> Boss GT-1 (Natural clean amp sim, reverb + footswitchable delay and chorus) -> DI into PA

For electric guitar couch noodling:
    Gibson SG Special T -> Blackstar ID:Core 10 Stereo V2

For single-amp electric guitar:
    Gibson SG Special T -> Fulltone OCD -> Boss DS-1 -> Marshall DSL40C w/ Eminence Private Jack speaker

For two-amp electric guitar with stereo effects:
    Gibson SG Special T -> Fulltone OCD -> Dunlop Crybaby -> Boss GT-1 (amp modeling bypassed, footswitchable ping-pong delay, stereo chorus, and modulated reverb) -> (Left) Marshall DSL40C and (Right) Boss DS-1 -> Sunn SL260

6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I have just a Jet City JCAh amp with a Harley Benton Vintage G212 cabinet.

Main signal Chain: Pigtonix Philosopher's Tone Comp. -> Wah -> TS9dx -> Coron Distortion 13 -> Purely Fuzz -> Catalinbread SCP Clean Booster -> Modded Boss DS1 -> Fzone Tuner -> Buffer

FX Loop: Send-> Boss GE7 -> TC Electronic Vortex Flanger -> A/B switch -> Alesis Midiverb4 -> Return.

I use Alesis for reverb and delay options. A/B switch can remove or add Alesis to the chain.

I can consider buying more TC Electronics effect pedals to use in FX Loop. I like them, my amp like them.

SG, Nighthawk or Jackson. I use the same chain for all of them.

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Update!!! :

Update, since I changed my pedal setup and settings slightly, as well as a more elaborate explanation of how I get my tone.

My new pedal setup looks like this now:
    [​IMG]

And the signal path like this:

Epiphone SG Special>>

Joyo Orange Juice (light/medium overdrive, as well as dirty boost for the GDI21 dist)> Behringer GDI21 (always used in conjunction with the Joyo Orange Juice for high gain dist, using the California (Mesa Boogie) setting)> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass]> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used in conjunction with the phaser in effects Loop B)> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal)> Loop A of LS-2 Return >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send> XVive V6 Phaser King> Loop B of LS-2 Return (when phaser is not activated Loop B functions as empty parallel clean effects loop, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 60/40) }= / Bypass> Output of LS-2> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as other reverb and delay effects)> Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo, always on preamp)> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (8 band graphic equalizer, always on)

>> Peavey Solo Special 112

Additionally I plan on adding 2 Nux Tape Core Deluxe pedals to that setup though, one pedal for a subtle reverb like echo effect, mixed in low and with a relatively small amount of feedback as well, utilizing 2 of the virtual tape heads, one with a delay time around 300 Ms and one with a delay time around 500 Ms, a bit of extra reverb, and a good amount of flutter and wobble, and one pedal only utilizing 1 of the virtual tape heads, for a more straight up prominent delay effect, that is closer to a 50/50 wet/dry mix, with a higher amount of feedback, and with a delay time approximately between 400 Ms and 1 s, controlled with the tap tempo function.

And I might swap out the Behringer GDI21 with a Mooer Black Secret Rat clone too, but not sure as I am actually quite satisfied with my distortion tone as it is now.

Eventually I also plan to get a proper pedal board to fit my pedals on.

As for my clean tone, which is by far what I use by far the most, primarily playing folky stuff, with a lot of finger picking chords involved and not much chord strumming, it is shaped by my Harley Benton American Sound, which is just a relabeled Joyo, and their clone of the Tech 21 Blonde, Fender style preamp, though overall slightly brighter sounding than the Blonde, the Character control named Voice instead, and with some of the EQ center freqiency points set differently, and then my Artec SE-EQ8, 8 band graphic equalizer, both pedals always on.

This is the settings for the 2 pedals:

Harley Benton American Sound (which EQ controls got a quite broad Q (bandwidth) around the center frequency points, that is the same for all the EQ controls, and with the regular EQ being post gain and the Voice control being pre gain):
    Voice [cut 400Hz<12 o'clock/boost 800Hz>12 o'clock]: Slightly bellow 2 o'clock (~+3dB) - Gain: Set at max possible for always staying clean - Low [125Hz]: 12 o'clock (0dB) - Mid [400Hz]: 2 o'clock (~+4dB) - High [3,2KHz]: Slightly bellow 2 o'clock (~+3dB) - Level: Slightly above unity

Artec SE-EQ8 (with the 2 outer EQ points, 100Hz and 5KHz, having a quite broad Q around the center frequency, the 2 EQ points right beside them, 170Hz and 2,3Khz, not having quite as broad a Q, and the 4 middle EQ points having a fairly narrow Q):
    100Hz: ~+1dB - 170Hz: ~-1dB - 280Hz: ~+2dB - 500Hz: ~+3dB - 800Hz: ~+3dB - 1,4Khz: ~+2dB - 2,3Khz: ~+1dB - 5Khz: ~+2dB - Gain: Unity (with American Sound)

I should add that I always play with both humbuckers full on, but the bridge pickup being considerably closer to the strings than the neck pickup.

Also currently I am getting the exact tone I want with this setup without the amp, which I haven't actually got home with me yet, through headphones, via a headphone amp, so not sure how I'll like the way my amp and it's 12" speaker is going to change that, inevitably cutting some of the higher frequency content away.

As it is now the American Sound preamp got an analog speaker emulator build in, doing just that already.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  8. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

I go guitar into either the Fuzz Face or the Blues Driver, then intobthe amp. The reverb and delay are in the FX loop.

Amp is a Quilter overdrive 200 and the cab is an old repurposed Fender Ramparte with a 12" Celestion Gold.

PSX_20200110_090058.jpg PSX_20200110_090143.jpg PSX_20200110_090213.jpg

9. bgh

bgh Member

/\ /\ It's surprising how small the Fuzz Faces are now. When I bought mine (either late 60s or early 70s) they were the size of small pizzas. The new ones fit on a board much better. Back then we didn't really have "boards". All of our gear was daisy-chained on the floor.

Astral Traveler likes this.
  10. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Yeah, you can still buy the big ones but it's basically the same circuit. There's mostly air inside the large ones :D

bgh likes this.