SG Custom question: convert 3 pickup model to two with scratchplate conversion?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by CallMeVal, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You now have to add this to your long signature list: GENIUS.

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:cheers: Maybe I will! :naughty:

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It seems I misunderstood again. You want to put on a batwing? That will not screw into the existing holes, and two screws would not be enough because the pickups are mounted on it.

Raiyn likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We seem to have steered him towards the flat (no ring) delete plate. That should work perfectly.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Custom pickguard like this but a longer middle strip to cover the middle cavity. Those middle screw holes to line up with the trim ring holes so completely reversible and low profile. A fantastic option.

[​IMG]

6. CallMeVal

CallMeVal New Member

This is another excellent idea, I actually contacted a guy this morning to cut one for me in that style. But I've asked him to make another one too, which will be slightly different.

The first one will be exactly as you've described but the second will be closer to a full pickguard. Except, it'll screw into the guitar's existing pickup cover holes and run straight down. Basically, the left side of the plate will not branch outside of where the pickups are, like a classic pickguard does. It'll just go down in a neat line and I'll be able to screw it into what's already there.

I liked the idea of covering the cavity in a blank plate but I prefer the look of pickups mounted to a pickguard. It just looks nicer in my opinion.

Everything will be completely reversible with no permanent modifications to the guitar's body.

Once the plates arrive I'll take pics in both styles and share them here. It'll probably take a week or so. But guys, how do I share pics here? lol

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You may want to consider the number of members here who've taken to mounting rings on their full guard axes.

K.I.S.S. and I ain't talking about these guys

:cheers:

cerebral gasket and CallMeVal like this.
  8. DrBGood

The thing with the pickguard mounted pups, is that you have to shim the bottom of the pups, so they are parallel to the strings.

CallMeVal likes this.
  9. CallMeVal

CallMeVal New Member

Is this because, as DrBGood has mentioned above, they'd need to be shimmed to remain parallel to the strings?

10. DrBGood

Probably why he does that.

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Ah, okay. Well this should be interesting. Will it cover the tenon area, too? Or are you keeping the tenon cover?

I would first recommend just raising the polepieces before going to that trouble. Works fine for me.

CallMeVal likes this.
  12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I prefer angled pickup mounting rings on Flying V and SG with large guard.
    The angled rings offset the neck to body angle so that the pickup sits level.
    IMO it looks more finished and allows for better adjustment of pickup height.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. CallMeVal

CallMeVal New Member

I'm keeping the tenon cover as it is. I like that it's completely blank and doesn't have Les Paul's name on it like some other SG custom shop models do. I like that his name doesn't appear on the truss rod cover as well. Not because I hate Les Paul or anything like that. But because Les Paul hated SG's.

This model feels like it's making an effort to respect the guy by not mentioning him.

I really appreciate everyone's experience and advice. I want to get this right. The last thing I want to do is screw up a collectible antique

PermissionToLand likes this.
  14. DrBGood

[​IMG] Doesn't it have to be like 100 years old to be considered an antique ?

drown and Raiyn like this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Me? No. Other members? Certainly.

SG's to V's & stuff in between....

16. CallMeVal

CallMeVal New Member

I don't know I'm just a 17 year old guitarist but you act like you have the answers to everything so you tell me lol

17. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

The thing with just raising the pole screws is that you are only emphasizing that coil. It changes the tonal balance of the pickup. I, & others have mentioned on here before of how much of a change for the better levelling the pickup makes rather than just raising the screw poles. My pickups are in rings so I had to shave over a millimeter off one side of the ring to level it. Made a noticeable change to how it sounded, fuller. Cheers

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That explains quite a lot actually.......

Seriously: dummy plate = way less needless drama.

19. CallMeVal

CallMeVal New Member

Wow why the unnecessary putdowns and nitpicking? Well it sure doesn't explain why some of you guys are being so passive aggressive and snide with me. Damn the elitism in here reminds me of the worst clique in my school. All I did was ask for some advice and it's gotten a bunch of backs up or been used as a platform for people to show off what they've got.

I want to make music, not flaunt a museum piece to make myself feel like I'm bigger or better than the next guy, which is what Ive noticed from many users in here

Do you guys even play your guitars or just display them? Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. Take care everybody

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We offer advice and sound reasoning and you basically tell us "whatevah whatevah Imma do wad I wanna". So yeah it explains a lot.

No elitism no B.S. we've just been around the block a few times and figured you'd benefit from some experience.

You'll run into some funky fitting issues trying to do things your way, but since you've got it all figured out.... Have at it.
    lmTiSR9.gif
    Don't say we didn't try to help.

DCCable and drown like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.