SG Deluxe 71 restoration tips

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by dannyleloup, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Well the Col has some great pictures and I actually have a 71 SG Deluxe to help you on your way to achieving restorative SF Bliss!

Here's a pic of my 71 Deluxe which I've 'played the hell out of' an find to be one of the best sounding guitars I own & also easiest to play.

71 Gibson SG Deluxe embossed Gibson trem 2 Patent Sticker T-Top pickups (2) (277x375).jpg 71 SG Deluxe.jpg

I do have the original pickup covers but found them to be unsoldered after I received the guitar so I took them off AND they were not Embossed covers just like most early-mid 71 models but, I will coness I have a fetish for those Embossed covers & have taken to collecting the & even using them for the desired effect when customizing other guitars like my 69 modified SG Standard which I call my Mack Diesel...

69 SG 3pup crop.jpg
    right.. lots of chrome. Anyhow, sorry, shiny objects distract me.

So, I couldn't help but notice that there was NO Binding on your guitar! This often indicates somebody upgraded a lower model to emulate a higher priced or more desirable model. But in this case the model below the Deluxe was the SG Pro & that had DOT inlay & not pearl Block inlay! So, the mystery continues in this regard for now as to why there is no binding!

I've enclosed a shot of the pots & wring from my '71 Deluxe for you to use.

000_0143 (4).jpg

Those pot codes date to the 41st week of 1971.

Here's a fuzzy shot of the back of the headstock that show the original Kidney shaped Grover tuners.

upload_2020-2-15_4-34-51.png

And your pups of course will look something like this..

upload_2020-2-15_4-52-41.png

Well best wishes for a rewarding restoration. If I can help you with anything specific please just let me know!
    Je m’en vais.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

As a newbie in vintage guitars, it's interesting to realize that all that new information I catch little by little is already well known by long-time lovers and players.

I understand the idea of improvement by changing tuners, pickups... it's a good thing to try to get a better sound or more comfortable use. It's the way any musician should tend to, I guess.

Sometimes I feel I don't deserve to own such a nice instrument. The best tribute to make to it would be to use it properly. I'm a frustrated musician. Music lover, old objects lover too, but bad player. I see that guitar as a wonderful object coming from a period I love. That's why my intention is just to get it back to its original condition.

Thanks for your help.

Next step will be to speak about the pickguard. The one installed on the guitar come from a LP. Very hard to find the Deluxe one, a refab by CNC is on the way to my home.

And also speak about the pickups controls.

Write to ya in a short while !

Dan

3. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

this one needs to be played...:smile:

4. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

It will be for sure, but not as Angus would !

dub-setter likes this.
  5. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

Hi Relic,
    The binding is another detail I didn’t notice yet. You are right, up to now I didn’t see any deluxe with no binding. also, I guess that only the deluxe model has control plate on the front of the guitar. Am I right?
    I’m not at home this weekend. When I’m back, I’ll make some more pictures about the neck, and the junction with the body.
    Regarding the pickguard, I’ll need to have an idea of the spacers. I couldn’t find anything in internet about them. Thanks in advance!

Relic61 likes this.
  6. Relic61

Sorry, reposted & taken down.

Attached Files:

7. Relic61

I believe those spacers were thick round &rubber of a light tan color. One small detail to notice is the pickgard is slightly angeled with the top being essentially flush to the body & the bottom raised away from the body a wee bit.

In answer to your question; "I guess that only the deluxe model has control plate on the front of the guitar. Am I right?"..
    Like you can see in the brochure I posted in my previous post, all the SG models as well as most other solid bodied Gibsons from '71 '72 had these front mount Control Panel mod done to speed up assembly.

gibson sg 1972 catalog brochure (2).jpg

8. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

Thanks,

Well... No idea.

Attached some pictures of the neck, in case you notice anything that could help to solve.

neck1.jpg Neck2.jpg Neck3.jpg Neck4.jpg Neck5.jpg

Do you think you could take a picture of the spacers and measure it for me?

9. Relic61

Sure, & Hey, do you have a better or fuller more encompassing picture of those pickup cavities? I'm sitting here looking at what appears to be a modified neck pickup cavity in your picture & contemplating if someone would be compelled to put MOP Inlay in a dot neck & change out P-90's or maybe even mini-humbuckers for a full-size humbucker set-up?? I mean, that would take some dedication!

That brings up another question, are the solder joint unmolested on period correct pots?? That would either settle things quickly or further make room for the possibility somebody modified this into a Deluxe 'Tribute' SG.

Attached Files:

10. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

Do you think somebody would be ready to make that huge stuff, only to have a Deluxe looked guitar? Especially for the inlay, I can't imagine... But, everything is possible.

Concerning the pickup cavity, it's like some bugs made a party inside, glitters but no champain found!!!!

PU cavity 1.jpg PU cavity 2.jpg

concerning the pots, I guess they have been already rewired. Date and model is matching. Not sure for the capacitors.
    I will speak about it later, when it's time to work on them.

About the pick guard, you can either remove it to make a picture and take dimensions of the spacers, or, if you prefer not to take any risk, just pictures and measurement of the height close to each screw. It would help. Thanks in advance. My new pick guard is arriving in a few days.

11. patsanger

patsanger Active Member

Love the guitar - I've had 3 of the '71-72s in my life and I'm looking for another now. The embossed pickups were only on '72, but occasional late '71s have them. I had a set of embossed tarbacks once (haven't seen another like it). These years they had a few non pickguard over the cavity SGs (see my '72 standard in my avatar with embossed pickups) but most of them had the pickguard setup as it was supposed to make the whole build process go faster as they only had to route the front of the guitar. Obviously it was not well liked by most.

As you discussed earlier - Grover was the go to upgrade for pretty much any Gibson through the 90s. Congrats on your guitar!

12. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

Hello Patsanger, thank you for the comments. Any idea about the reason for no binding? The inlays are perfectly installed, I can't imagine that it's a customized non Deluxe guitar. Unless another SG model was fitted with no binding but inlays, and front control plate.
    The mystery remains.

13. Duffman

Duffman Member

Good luck on the restoration...I have a '71 I bought new and is the same as The day I bought it (new strings a few times...:-) ) I have only removed the screws once to show the pots and # here about 6 years ago

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/greetings-and-a-couple-of-questions.28468/#post-401809
    Photoshop has blurred the images now i think, case bound for years I have started playing it again the last 6 years or so. Although I have new amps, I still have that vintage GBX stack too.
    Cheers
    DuFf
    GBX and '71 SG.jpg

Zoot and dannyleloup like this.
  14. Scott Patire

Scott Patire New Member

15. Scott Patire

Scott Patire New Member

T

16. Scott Patire

Scott Patire New Member

Tuners aren’t correct it should have Grover kidney,bean in chrome,pick up covers should be chrome without logo and truss rod cover doesn’t say deluxe ,the string holder in the bridge would have had nylon saddles when new ,I replaced mine after 20 yrs or so with brass..I bought Sg deluxe at Manny’s NYC brand new and it’s still in magnificent shape thought the frets are going to need attention soon I was probably 13 when I got it and I replace the bridge p/u with a Dimarzio super distortion and through the years lost original bridge p/u..which now has a BB2..Best of luck with it those original frets were not anything to rave about ,you might want to go to a higher fret ,imo.

dannyleloup likes this.
  17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

What a mystery about the unbound neck...

The thing about that is, the SG Pro had a bound neck, too! Also, the Pro had no crown inlay on the HS. So I feel like this being an upgrade job is pretty unlikely. I'm going to guess it was an early run of the new Deluxe in late '71 before the appointments were finalized.

18. dannyleloup

dannyleloup New Member

Thank you for all your contributions.

pots.jpg

When getting this guitar in order to bring it back to its original condition, I wouldn't have imagined how tricky the job would be!

Picture show pots dated week 14 year 71. Can we make any conclusion with that, about an early run? During what month the first 71 Deluxe went out the factory?

Trying to compile what everybody said:

- truss rod cover should be plain, with no deluxe on it. That's the only thing I could be sure of when I bought it. And not the most difficult to correct! The plain cover is already on it.

- Pick up covers should be stainless, with no embossed "Gibson", unless the guitar is late 71.

- Tuners should be..... "Original Gibson" engraved kluson-like, or "Kluson Deluxe", or "Gibson" engraved Grover...... As long as we can only say that the factory installed different kinds randomly, it's the bigger point on that guitar.

- pick guard is an LP model. The CNC repro is still on the way, I will have to confirm if it was installed over spacers or not. I saw many Deluxe with no spacers.

- last, but not least, the unbound neck... the idea of pre-run might sound good but.... pots made in april 71 could fire this explanation.
    Or may be one of the last Deluxe 72? transition to 73 models? 73 SG STD have inlays but no bindings. But in that case, pots date don't match.
    Or neck broken and replaced by a 73? But I don't see any trace of repair.
    Or just.... copy?
    Or....? any idea is welcome!

Dan

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  19. Relic61

My apologies, life's been busy.

20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Those Schaller Gibson branded tuners are correct.