SG faded/relic project

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Roy McAlister, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Roy McAlister

Roy McAlister New Member

In another post, I was expressing my disappointment with the quality of a faded SG I recently bought. I decided to strip the finish and do a relic job on this guitar...as well as add features that I would like it to have. I won't be doing a 'heavily played' relic job, just a simple amber nitro with induced checking

Bogart had made the suggestion that I photo the project and chronicle the progress here on the forum. Good idea. Since the guitar had all the hardware removed and I had started to take off some finish, that's where this photo process will begin. I began the serious work of transforming this faded SG into a nicely appointed, true vintage style, nitrocellulose lacquered SG relic last night...and I have taken a few photos to display the process. Besides a complete refinish, I plan to bind the fretboard...change the Gibson decal overlay to a MOP Gibson logo and crown inlaid overlay.... and inlay MOP trapezoids on the fretboard. I will also be upgrading the electronics, but haven't decided what to do yet.

This first set of photos first depicts the guitar as it is at this point ...disassembled and partially sanded. Then you can see the addition of binding to the fretboard and the completion of the sanding process...the guitar is now completely stripped of its original finish and has a bound fretboard.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1260434

The next photos will show the removal of the original overlay and replacement of the new overlay with MOP inlays. I will also show the inlaying process of the trapezoids over the crescent moon inlays.

Roy McAlister

2. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

great project roy!! can't wait to see that aged finish!! :D

3. DereknDominos

DereknDominos New Member

Wow, I'd love to bind my fretboard on my faded. Can't wait to see how this turns out.