SG guitar kits that aren't rubbish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

There was a thread on MLP discussing the change in design on PGK kits, but I can't recall (nor do I know whether you can link to another forum around here) it precisely.

Anyways the more I look at the older PGK SG design, the more I like how it's inspired by '60s SG-s, but not an actual Gibson copy in many of its details. The CNC-d crispness is very cool, and there's a bit of a showroom sterility in its perfect, machine made edges and it looks chunkier too. Is the thickness the same as a Gibson?
    Congrats on yours, Syscokid, looks really fine. Do you know how much it weighs?

syscokid and Lynurd Fireburd like this.
  2. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

I've never really noticed how close to the edge the V/T knobs are. I find it odd, not in the sense that I understand being authentic to the originals, but that there's so much real estate there to adjust the location a smidge.

It's the same as on the Epi Bonamassa/Treasure Firebird too.

Sysco your Jr looks great. It figures when I start shopping for a Jr kit, everyone's recommendation of PGK changes it's shape. Well, it keeps money in my wallet.

syscokid likes this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

What were the results? Gibson putting on the squeeze?

Also the edges on my PGk SG are highlighted because of the craploads of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and topped with a gusnstock wax (Flintz). You can't get a finish any thinner than some good old super mojo oil that will seal the wood?

Thanks! It's actually a really nice playing guitar. Very resonant and very comfortable. Got a little lucky... hit a home run... you know what I mean?
    I'll post some accurate measurements in a couple days. My Mancave slash Control Center is getting re-floored, and can't get to all my stuff.

Gracias, there Amigo... but I must also give credit to our own JohnnyGoo, who gassed me up on the PGK's, before PGK changed their design. And different finishes, too.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  4. PAFHumbucker

PAFHumbucker Well-Known Member

It was before December for sure. Total bummer.

5. Satellitedog

I can't think of any other reason, but it was a couple of months ago, and I can't recall precisely. They changed the Les Pauls as well, so a slap on the wrist from the G is more than likely.

I see, that's pretty cool, but even with solid colours, the contours look sharp as a LEGO brick loitering on the carpet, waiting for your sole...
    And it's weird to think of a cost cutting measure (the omission of softening edges with a belt sander)
    as a design asset, but it kinda elevates the sculpt for me. It's surely a taste thing, and I still prefer a nice '61-64 shape, but the PGK sculpt is also a strong design statement.

Sounds great! I think all of them are probably nice players, but my main concern with an SG is resonance and weight.
    And unless others chip in with requests, just get the weight and thickness, it's all I'm curious about.
    Thanks!

syscokid likes this.
  6. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

Although I haven't tried one yet, the Guitar Fetish kits look decent except for the hardware. I would take a rasp and contour the hell out of the body.

7. Satellitedog

I don't like the excess glue on the tenon extension and the bulky neck pocket on the body, plus it's a multi piece body, and I'd like a two piece, center joined one.

8. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

OK... Measuring the body thickness at the bottom strap:
    My 3 Gibson SG's are in between 1.34" and 1.37".
    My PGK Junior is 1.39"
    The PGK weighs 6lb 5oz. with a regular P90. With the Kinman P90, that is on it now, adds another 4oz.

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  9. Satellitedog

Thanks, man! Sounds just right.

10. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

As a carpenter, I can attest to the fact that more glue isn't better, it can actually be a detriment. Too little is also a bad thing, but too much on a guitar fails for the same reason and will also give you a build up that will throw your neck joint off and possibly create vibration, not resonance in my less than humble opinion :smile: too much glue can just make a weak joint. The proper amount of glue is almost permanent. Plus, it doesn't go slopping out the sides of the neck pocket once the tenon is clamped in, unlike the hamfisted idiot in the YouTube video I just viewed last week.:facepalm:

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

12. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

13. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

I've been wanting to make one for a while. I found a 3d model and some drawings online but have no way to confirm dimensions. You guys probably know off the top of your heads the important dimensions?? ;-) I'd like to do a vintage correct kit if possible. Thoughts?

Here is the 3d model thrown into my CNC program.
    CNC_preview_front.jpg

Cheers Peter.

14. Satellitedog

Well, this model doesn't seem quite right for an early '60s SG shape, at least the horns look undercooked...

I've been looking at a lot of photos of old SGs, and have two (soon three) '61-63 inspired Japanese copies that are all slightly different, yet carry the same concept, that's very different from modern SGs, and of course post '65 Standards.

I don't know how much you've studied the shapes, but the horns are pretty complex and beautiful from a sculpting standpoint, further complicated by the originals being handmade, thus different from guitar to guitar.

I'd probably try and make drawings of some originals, a couple of them at least (Standards, Specials, Juniors) and aggregate the findings to an idealized sum and turn that into a CNC ready model, making an actual standard shape.

I hope you succeed in your quest, I'd really like a proper SG kit to build myself at some point.

15. JohnnyBlade

JohnnyBlade Member

Wow, been on the forum for a while and never knew you were Hungarian too. Erre iszunk egyet. :-)

There is a UK based company called Crox Guitars, they had a few kits but haven’t seen them for a while and looking at the photos they were probably the same kits Guitar Fetish sells.
    What’s your budget? Might actually be worth contacting some Hungarian luthiers if they could make a blank kit for you, I was e-mailing Sandor Alexa, his quote in 2014 was around 200k HUF for an unfinished 61RI copy with ebony fretboard.
    Also, there seems to be a pretty neat SG kit on PGK other than their new crooked kit:

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/sg-jr-customizer

16. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

I don't really like the PGK design. Just seems like a funhouse mirror take on the SG. I bought a set of drawings from the BYO guitar kit website. They seem to be pretty good all though I wish they had more dimensions. They do not have a section through the carves, so I have no idea from the drawings the angle or depth of the bevel. I might have to ask you guys once I get further on the drawings. I'm just finishing off a Firebird build for myself and have one or two other builds going on as well, so this one won't be really soon. I'll just keep plugging away when I get some time. Here is a snap shot of the drawings.
    Capture.JPG

Cheers Peter.

Satellitedog likes this.
  17. Satellitedog

Szevasz, Johnny! Üdv Budapestről.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about to buy my third SG, so the idea of getting an SG kit has been put on the backburner, and I'm definitely not going to get one custom built by a luthier, too expensive at the moment.

I'd rather build one from scratch to be honest, I'm kinda obsessed by the sculpt of the SG, so I want to tackle it on my own. I am a graphic designer and illustrator, also dabble in sculpting, so I want to pick up woodworking with power tools this year. I have no workshop, but there are supervised community workspaces where they teach you work safety stuff, acquaint you with using the power tools and provide tools, advice and a professional work environment for a monthly fee.
    I just have to give myself a good kick in the arse and get going.

I'll check the Crox stuff.

I've contacted Prec. Gitkits about an under the counter proper SG kit, but no response yet.
    I'm not sure about your link, I think they've just left the photo on the website to attract attention, or they just don't care about updating the page. I did mention that photo to PGK in my message, if it's an actual option, or just an old pic...

I'll put the reply (or parts of it) here, if and when I get one.

18. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

19. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

If you hook up with a hobbyist from here or over on the "other" forum, I bet you could get a kit made for about the same as a good kit from PGK. I'm not surpirsed you didn't hear back from them about the under counter kit. Their business is guitar kits based on others designs. If they get too close or a found to be out and out copying their business could be over.

I will be embarking on an SG build soon and could easily make more than one while I'm at it. This may not work for you depending on where you live and the restrictions on wood crossing borders these days but I'm sure there are others, maybe in your area or at least close country that could help you out. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

Satellitedog likes this.
  20. Satellitedog

Thanks for the suggestions once more.

Lots of changes coming up in my life... probably have to get a new job soonish, maybe abroad. I wonder if I'll be able to join one of those workshops at all, but if I do, I'll be building my own SG from scratch, at least the body and neck and routing.