SG Junior 2018

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by lcw, Mar 25, 2018.

1. lcw

lcw Active Member

Played a 2018 (?) SG Junior today with the single dog ear P90. It was glorious. That bitting snarl only the P90 can provide. Although quite noisy. Would need a noise gate if I got one.

Was like this one. An absolutely beautiful guitar!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    AlexEP, arcticsg, syscokid and 4 others like this.
  2. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I didn't notice the knob placement on SG juniors until this very moment. I don't know if I like it... for juniors I've always preferred the lp junior, but I'd go with whichever has the best price. I'm not that picky... This does look like a great guitar.

3. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

That is the traditional knob placement.

And every one of these I've seen for sale look nothing like this they look a lighter color red and not as nice woodgrain. This one looks much nicer with a deep cherry and great grain showing.

bwotw likes this.
  4. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Yeah i realise that now. I just didn't know because i usually just GAS over the lp junior or lp special...

5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

The ones they made in 2011 have the LP style knobs if you like that setup better.

[​IMG]

sg jones, syscokid and thetabba like this.
  6. thetabba

thetabba Member

I guess I am one of the weirdos who like the SG juniors over the LPs. Plug anyone of those into a vintage tweed amp and it's a weapon of mass destruction! Amazing tone in those guitars!

7. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

They're on;y noisy when you're not playing, and if you keep your hand across the string they're not that noisy then either. P90's are the better pick up.

8. TheShark

TheShark Member

I love the SG Junior but the pricing is confusing. Here we can pay £100 more and get a Standard. Yes, the Junior is awesome but having to pay almost as much as the Standard because of Mojo seems wrong. Perhaps they use premium woods and on the Junior or something but I doubt it. What justifies the price?

Relic61, arcticsg, JazzyJeff and 2 others like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Who knows... If the custom shop "relics" that same standard SG it adds $4,000 to the price...

Less pickups, and wiring = $150 more?

That's Gibson math

TheShark likes this.
  10. TheShark

TheShark Member

Haha! If Tom Murphy wrecks your Gibson he does a fine job. Not anyone has that skill, right?

AngelDeVille likes this.
  11. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

in the dark years (the 70's) I felt you were better off with a Melody Maker SG. Of course, mine would have been quickly converted from the single coils, but you got more wood on the body compared to the pro or the II or III with their plastic control plates and lp pickguards.

Who knows their thinking. bean counters see, our sales are up on the Junior lets jack it up, missing the point that the lower price was the reason the sales were up. But it has the effect of pushing you for the more expensive model too.

TheShark and arcticsg like this.
  12. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I'd be happy with either. But this is what I had in my head... I just prefer the LP style for juniors. It's very tele boat paddle-ish. The horns on the SG junior make it more of a "finished" dare I say "fancy" guitar. Lacks that rawness I love in the LP junior. THAT BEING SAID, I want one! I would definitely buy one if I had the money, and if I found both and the SG was a few hundred cheaper I'd buy it over the lp. (heck that's how I ended up with an SG in the first place, and it turned out to be my #1).

13. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

I likes. :)

14. macdog

macdog Member

Love the Junior!!!!