SG junior thoughts

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by rfiori9, May 11, 2019.

1. rfiori9

rfiori9 Active Member

So I found a 2018 jr near me but haven’t played it yet. I was actually thinking of getting a 2019 because of the good reviews of the brand new Gibsons. Would the 2018 have the same quality as the 2019 or should I hold off and get a brand new one?

2. lawrev

lawrev Active Member

I had a 2018, and waiting on the 2019 I will get in 3-4 days.

The 2018 was a wonderful build. Great neck, sound, balance. Just that headstock script was the only minor downside. Of course the 2019 is very close to a early 1960s SG Junior - though I am not going to say reissue and it certainly isn't a Custom Shop model (and doesn't cost that much).

I'm psyched about the news Gibsons, but certainly about the two Original Collection Juniors - SG and LP. Every time I get a two pick up guitar, I always prefer the one pickup models. I guess it is in my blood.

And my SG Junior in my avatar (a 2006 that was a Yamano order) will be up for sale shortly. Can only have one SG Junior at a time. :)

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The only difference appears to be the logo script.

lawrev likes this.
  4. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

I'm looking forward to seeing some Junior NGD's round here!

lawrev likes this.
  5. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

I too am thinking about a 2019 Junior.....
    I hope you will post your thoughts on your one when it arrives.
    Until late last year, I had a 2016 SG Junior:

IMG_0291.jpg

It was part of a limited run produced for the Japanese market but somehow 3-4 of these ended up in the UK and I was able to get one.

I loved it! The QC/build quality was superb and it sounded excellent, very lively but easy to control once you get used to how the two controls funtion and interact.

The spec sheet for this was identical to the spec sheets for the 2018 and the 2019. This did not have the 2018 headstock scroll and it also came with the reflector knobs as shown in the picture as opposed to the black top-hats on the later models.

I had to sell it to raise cash quickly which was a pity but so it goes.....

But, things have been looking up recently on the financial side and this coinciding neatly with the immanent arrival of the new line of SGs into the UK means I am looking forward very much to giving the 2019 Junior a serious try out.

arcticsg likes this.