SG Melody Makers

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by PhoenixFear, Apr 19, 2019.

1. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

Does anyone here have one or more of these? I’ve wanted one for a long time. The colors are cool, I think the neck is a bit thicker to my preference and I like the pickguard shape. The pickups I’m sure leave a lot to be desired but oh well. They used to be cheap but it seems most of this model have been bought out overseas. The few I find are a bunch of money. Is there a better place to go besides eBay and Reverb for this or try a dealer when I’m ready?

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The vintage market is stupidly inflated right now. I'd hold out until the coming recession.

Dave, Steve D and SG standard like this.
  3. PhoenixFear

Yeah these guitars are ridiculously expensive now. I’m not sure why, people are asking 2000-3000 for these, which a Junior or Special basically goes for from what I’ve seen.

4. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

I have one and I also agree the prices are really high. The pickups are weak and weren’t to my liking. The nut width on these are 1 9/16 with the neck thinner at the first and rather chunky at the twelfth. Mine didn’t have a lot of original parts and the neck was too shallow to have the tremolo work properly. But the body carve and original Pelham blue finish are awesome.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

In my opinion, Melody Makers are duds. They seem like a good idea, with that stripped-down, unpretentious vibe, and they look OK (except for the headstock), but they pretty much suck compared to... well, just about any guitar out there. Some players get exactly the sound they want, but they are in the vast minority. There's currently a sort of fad for cheapie vintage guitars, perhaps brought on by the cost of more traditionally desirable (for good reason) models. A Junior, even a new one, is, IMO, infinitely (squared) better than a Melody Maker. One's a guitar, and the other's a sort of toy guitar.

6. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

F59B132A-8FFE-4E1D-A389-4F93BC8FB543.jpeg

I made a few changes

Dave, bwotw and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  7. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

The previous owner fixed the weak pickup issue on mine. :-)

Attached Files:

bwotw likes this.
  8. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

I don’t think they are duds at all. The body is exactly like juniors and standards of the day. The pickups are weak but that can be fixed.

Hammer likes this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Shhhh. Let people think they're duds. More for us. :naughty:

bwotw and HackeIommi like this.
  10. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

All SGs are duds. Even vintage ones. They don't worth even a single penny. But we can pay a paper dollar or euro in the name of solidarity and save them from duds. Shhhhh!!! :naughty:

bwotw and Hammer like this.
  11. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to have an SG Melody Maker! I'm becoming quite a MM freak and that's like the only body shape I'm missing ;)

[​IMG]

About the price, yeah, the SG's are getting expensive... Let's hope I found a bargain down the line, in Pelham, please!

And about the stock pickup, the sound itself is actually pretty decent. But they're so low output, noisy and squealy they're not really usable with a typical distorted rock setup. But stick some firebreather pickup in there... and nothing can beat them.

Dave, Herbie74w and HackeIommi like this.
  12. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

Agreed a vintage Pelham blue SG standard would cost upwards of 20k. I got my Pelham blue melody maker for around a thousand. The pickup mod is pretty cheap and easy. And the best part you have a cool old wood Sg in a custom color.

13. PhoenixFear

I’m almost debating buying a reissue SG Melody Maker and hacking it up and refinishing it to look like an original one. I have no idea why they are asking so much for this model, the other MM models are still relatively affordable vintage guitars.

14. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

Do it. That would be cool.